.357 sig - Cor Bon or Gold Dots?

I carry (and always have) Speer Gold Dots in my pistol. Been pretty content. A friend recently gave me a handfull of .357 sig Cor Bon rounds. Cool! Free ammo. Free expensive ammo!The .357 sig is already a pretty peepy round. Very fast, very straight and pentetrates almost too well. :up: So I am starting to second guess using this stuff for defense. I mean the Gold Dots should be plenty good enough for a threat. Not sure that going faster is really that much better. If I had a 9mm then I might be tempted to use Cor Bon. But with the .357 sig... uh... I don;t know.

I may be over thinking this a bit.

What does everyone else think?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry Double-Tap 147gr Gold-Dots: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_32&products_id=125

Caliber : .357 Sig

Bullet : 147gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 1250fps / 510 ft. lbs. 4"bbl

Their 125gr load would also be a good choice: http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_32&products_id=79

Caliber : .357 Sig

Bullet : 125gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP

Ballistics : 1450fps / 584 ft. lbs. 4"bbl

IMHO, their 115gr load is very likely to fragment and lack sufficient penetration because it is pushing the bullet to 150% of it's designed velocity.

To be quite honest... I do not know what is in the Cor Bons.

They were taken out of a confinscated gun off a felon. The gun

was confiscated and with the trial over it went into the police dept.'s

use. (a baby glock... and it shot GREAT! :up:) The dept. carries a certain

kind and aren't allowed to carry any other ammo. So he gave me the rounds.

Never heard of the Double Tap Ammo before. I'll look into it.

• 1 month later...
Corbon 45 ACP JHPs are a handfull in a USP compact

Wooo Hooo! Another HK USPc user! :rofl: LOL!

I would still like to have a USPc CT in .45... but I have other

things on the list first.

Why not use the Federal HST's or Winchester Ranger's. ammunitiontogo.com has them fairly cheap in .357 SIG. Both are much better update to Gold Dot's.

I've just always used them in the past with what I carried. So I guess

I just usually grab them first. Easy to find as well. Since I posted this I

continue to carry Gold Dots out and about. The Car-bons are in a another

mag that is marked on the bottom. Molonlabetn had mention they fragment

quickly... so I thought they would be good to grab while in the house.

(I could be wrong.)

On of these days I'm going to brew up some of my own ballistics gel and test a few of the latest .357sig cartridges side-by-side...

I would love to see something along the lines of http://frag.110mb.com/ this for the 357 SIG. I thinking of getting a SIG barrel for my new FN Hi-Power .40. There just isn't much updated info out there, especially for the newer bullets.

I would love to see something along the lines of http://frag.110mb.com/ this for the 357 SIG. I thinking of getting a SIG barrel for my new FN Hi-Power .40. There just isn't much updated info out there, especially for the newer bullets.

Who makes .357sig barrels for the HP? I did some investigating a year ago when I was contemplating buying a .40 Hi-Power to convert, and noone offered it.

It would be awesome if this was now available!

• 2 months later...
Welp since Mars is to busy eating his popcorn,Ill be the the one saying that LEO's carry what they can get the best bid on.The same reason the drive Crown Vics

Not all law enforcement agencies choose the cheapest round. As a matter of fact, more agencies are selecting rounds based on performance than on price. Of course price is important, but not the MOST important. If that were the case, agencies that use the Gold Dot would have selected less expensive alternatives. The Gold Dot has been a favorite of state police agencies due to its performance against automobiles and windshields. They could have easily selected a less-expensive non-bonded option.