Anybody do purse carry?

Guest bersalady

Guest bersalady

I see several posts about carry but I was wondering about purse carry. I don't have a need for carry during the day. Plus, I can't imagine how I could conceal it.

I was planning for purse carry. My husband is more on the bandwagon about carrying. I want to know how to use my gun. I intend to have it in the vehicle and when going anyway outside of my normal activities.

I have look at some of the carry purses and they are ok. But they are outdated in style and way over priced. :blush::eek: Any suggestions? I have a Bersa 380. I love it but having a hard time finding ammo.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

My wife has a nice Roma Leathers-brand black purse. It has an easy-access compartment for her SIG239 plus a mag. I've never been able to get her to use her Kydex hip holster so that it can't be easily ripped off her during a snatch. Has a nice handle, too. This is what it looks like for around $60. Though this particular site requires a minimum purchase of $200, she got hers from a Texas on-line store.

I would never recommend purse carry to anyone....for several reasons.

First off, what do theives usually want from their women victims? The purse. I used to carry in my purse about 50-60% of the time when I went out. I was in the Walmart parking lot putting my groceries in the trunk and my purse was stolen out of the cart in a two person distract and grab scheme.....with my nice Taurus Total Titanium ported .38 inside. That was the last day I ever carried a gun in my purse and I have not looked back.

Second, 90% of the time, if you need your gun, you need it immediately. You need to be able to draw your weapon and fire in less than 3 seconds. Can you do that with your gun inside your purse? Maybe....if you have one of those special (and expensive) concealed carry purses and you walk around with your hand in or very close to the gun pocket.

Third, do you have kids or are you ever around any kids? A gun in the purse is not safe with children around.

I would respectfully urge you to reconsider the purse carry idea. If you're going to take on the responsibility of carrying a gun, you need to do it the right way. The right way is to have the gun secured on your person.

I don't know much about the Bersa's to be honest with you, but from what I've heard, they're fairly small. Finding a way to carry it on your body somewhere shouldn't be too hard. If the Bersa seems to be too big to carry on your person, then get something smaller that you can carry comfortably. There are several great semi auto choices that are lightweight and thin......making for easy and comforable carry. KelTec PF9 or P3AT, Ruger LCP, Taurus Slim, Kahr PM9 are the first ones that come to mind. Or, possibly a S&W 442 or Taurus Ultra-Lite 85 .38, if revolvers aren't out of the question. Those lightweight snubbies are super easy to carry and although you only have 5 shots, they are rock solid reliable and will go bang when you pull the trigger 99.999% of the time.

The most important thing in carrying a gun comfortably & concealed is the holster or method of carry. My recommendations for that would depend on your normal style of clothing. If you can wear a belt, then a good IWB holster is the best (K&D for some awesome leather holsters, Kholster, Supertuck, & M-Tac for leather/kydex hybrids)......worn in the appendix carry position, which is 1-2 o'clock for a right hander. Just make sure you get one with a neutral or crossdraw cant, or one that can adjust to neutral, if you go this route. If you're style of dress can't include a belt, then I'd suggest a belly band, or possibly a Smart Carry. Either of these can be worn under just about any kind of clothing, and both conceal your gun extremely well. I can tell you that the belly band is super comfortable and holds the gun very securely. I don't have personal experience with the Smart Carry rigs, but I've read and heard great things about them. However, you would need to be wearing pants for the Smart Carry to work. Belly bands can literally be worn under anything.....even a dress.

I really hope that you'll reconsider carrying in your purse........but, whatever you decide, I hope you can find something that works for you, and I applaud you for taking the initiative to be able to defend yourself! ;):)

Edited by PackinMama
Guest bersalady

I am looking at purse carry because I don't have a reason to have my gun during the day at work. I rarely leave for lunch from work and I am in a office setting. I have not even decided if I will carry it at all at work.

I can usually see my car from the building so I am not walking far although I do often leave after dark. But usually with several other people.

I am really only looking for shopping, trips out of town, going to Nashville things like that. One thing I don't understand about wearing a gun under my clothes is how do you get to it. Do you always have to wearing untucked shirts or sweaters? It seems a little awkward.

To be honest, I don't think the danger I face during my normal work day out way my need for a fashionable appearance. You guys may think I am crazy but I am not quite that convinced I would have any need for it in my purse or on my body during the main part of the day.

I am looking at purse carry because I don't have a reason to have my gun during the day at work. I rarely leave for lunch from work and I am in a office setting. I have not even decided if I will carry it at all at work.

I can usually see my car from the building so I am not walking far although I do often leave after dark. But usually with several other people.

I am really only looking for shopping, trips out of town, going to Nashville things like that. One thing I don't understand about wearing a gun under my clothes is how do you get to it. Do you always have to wearing untucked shirts or sweaters? It seems a little awkward.

To be honest, I don't think the danger I face during my normal work day out way my need for a fashionable appearance. You guys may think I am crazy but I am not quite that convinced I would have any need for it in my purse or on my body during the main part of the day.

If it's under a tucked shirt, all you have to do is pull your shirt out and grab the gun. With a little practice, you should still be able to do this in 3 seconds or less.

Danger is often in places that you would least expect....at times that would seem least likely. Would you only want your insurance policy on your home to be in effect at certain times of the day? A gun is much like an insurance policy......it is far better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Edited by PackinMama
I would never recommend purse carry to anyone....for several reasons.

First off, what do theives usually want from their women victims? The purse.

....... if you need your gun, you need it immediately.

I would respectfully urge you to reconsider the purse carry idea. If you're going to take on the responsibility of carrying a gun, you need to do it the right way. The right way is to have the gun secured on your person.

I really hope that you'll reconsider carrying in your purse........

Emphatic + 1's to all these points from Packin Mama

I would also strongly urge you to reconsider purse carry.

I would also ask that you not try to predict or "cherry pick" when you may need your gun. There is unfortunately no crystal ball available to determine when or where you may be the victim of a murder, rape, or carjacking attempt.

The place for a gun is on your person, and the time for a gun is anytime you legally can when you are away from the confines of your home.

I fear, though, from your posts you already have your mind made up.

If you don't want to or can't wear a holster during the day, then put the gun and holster in your purse. When it's time to leave work, go to the bathroom and put the holster on. It'll take some discipline to do this routinely.

Consider yourself fortunate in that you even have this option. I can't even keep my gun locked in my car while at work. Concealed carry is a lifestyle choice. Adjustments in attire, routine, and perspective have to be made.

Highly recommended reading: Cornered Cat

Big Poppa said:

I would also ask that you not try to predict or "cherry pick" when you may need your gun. There is unfortunately no crystal ball available to determine when or where you may be the victim of a murder, rape, or carjacking attempt.

Let me first say that Big Poppa is a professional firearms training instructor and if you hadn't taken me seriously, I hope that his post will at least make you think about what we're telling you. You absolutely can not ever know or predict when or where you might need to defend yourself.

There is nowhere that is immune from violent attacks. Just watch or read the news.....church, school, hospital, court room, and even military base shootings.....home invasions, car jackings, etc. Of course, you are not allowed to carry in some of these places, but the point is that there is no 100% safe place. An attack will usually happen when you least expect it, so you must always be prepared and aware......and carrying your gun on your person wherever and whenever it is allowed.

This quote from peejman has some great advice as well:

If you don't want to or can't wear a holster during the day, then put the gun and holster in your purse. When it's time to leave work, go to the bathroom and put the holster on. It'll take some discipline to do this routinely.

Consider yourself fortunate in that you even have this option. I can't even keep my gun locked in my car while at work. Concealed carry is a lifestyle choice. Adjustments in attire, routine, and perspective have to be made.

Highly recommended reading: Cornered Cat

The sentence I bolded is absolutely true. Concealed carry is a lifestyle choice, and a darned smart one, especially for women! A gun empowers the physically weaker (on average) female to become a force to be reckoned with!

Keeping the gun with the holster (or belly band, Smart Carry, etc.) in your purse while working then going to the bathroom to put it on before you leave is a great idea! That way, you can be a little more comfortable at work, but still have your gun nearby. If you use a Smart Carry or belly band, you could actually keep the rig on you throughout the day without the gun in it....then just slip the gun in there before you leave. (I'm getting ready to order a Smart Carry myself....they get great reviews and I'd like to try one out for summer carry.)

That Cornered Cat website has some excellent reading for women as well and I would also encourage you to check it out. The forum Women and Guns has some good info as well.

I truly hope that we all might have at least made you think about and possibly reconsider your carry plans.

I'd like to add a true story that happened to my uncle last year. He owns a large painting business in New Jersey with about 30 crews out and working every day. His office/shop/garage is located on the outskirts of a very prominent and wealthy, somewhat rural, community. It's a quiet and peaceful place with very little crime. He has a small safe in his office where he keeps the cash. He keeps a gun in his desk, but does not wear it on his person.

One late afternoon, there were 5 employees inside the office, including the uncle's daughter, and a couple guys out back in the garage area, when two men pulled up in front and went into the office. They had ski masks and were both armed with semi auto pistols. They came in so fast and started pointing their guns at everyone and telling them to put their hands in the air and stand up. My uncle had no time to even think about getting the gun out from his desk. The gunmen ordered them to step away from the cover of their desks and sit down on the floor against the wall. They then told my uncle to get up and open the safe. One guy covered the people that were sitting and the other guy covered my uncle. My uncle opened the safe and gave them the cash, although luckily for him, he had recently made a deposit and there was only a couple hundred bucks in the safe. A few hours earlier, there had been thousands! (Very bad timing on the gunmen's part!) So, the gunmen took the money bag and then asked everyone for there wallets/purses. They told them they will know where they live and should not describe them well to the police or they would be sorry. They got away and haven't been caught yet.

Thank God they didn't hurt anyone......but, if they had wanted to, they could have very easily. If my uncle would have had his gun concealed on his person, he would have been able to defend himself, his daughter, and his employees if needed. Of course, in this particular situation, it might have been best to just let them go anyway since they did not hurt anyone. However, had they started shooting, my uncle would not have been able to get to his gun in the desk without getting shot. If he'd had the gun on him, he very likely could have.

My point in telling you this story is to show you that there really is no safe place and no way of predicting an attack. My uncle has had his office there for many years and never had a problem....not even a theft at night. He felt so secure there that he didn't even have a video surveillance system in place (he does now). My uncle is also a veteran, sportsman, and shooter....and a darn good one at that. So he knew how to use that gun......there just was no time to get to it without risking getting shot (or having his daughter shot). This true story just illustrates the difference that having a gun near you or on you can make in an attack.

Guest rockbottom12

I got my fiance a keltec p32 she conceals it just fine in the small of her back. my mom and sisternlaw steal it to try on everytime we leave it out on the counter to dry after cleaning. they love the size and the kydex holster we made. all three conceal that gun just fine.

Guest crystalm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I've noticed - Baby doll shirts are amazing at concealing <---- personal experience discovery

Guest 1eyedwillie

I'm male, so ignore this if you want.

I'll +1 on the cornerdcat website. She uses a lot of common sense from the woman's viewpoint. She covers the problems with purse carry well. There are numerous persons who will tell you there are problems with purse carry. Think about it. Look into the different arguments with an open mind and be willing to change you mind if your circumstances warrant it. Some women stick to their purse like glue and it is never out of their hands. Those women MIGHT be able to purse carry without problem. Other women are forgetful and may occasionally let their purse out of their immediate control. For these, purse carry may not be so good an option. Remember, carrying a gun is a grave responsibility. Children's lives may be at stake. Children are very quick to get into things that they shouldn't.

I don't have a Bersa, but have heard from several people that they are fairly good guns. However, there are other .380 autos today which are smaller and lighter. I would say look into one of these with a belly band or smartcarry as a viable option as someone else said.

It's true that you don't get to choose the time when the felon strikes. His or her goal is to surprise you.

• 1 month later...

My wife found that her Bersa .380 was just too large for her to conceal. She picked out an NAA .380 Guardian and an NAA mini-revolver in .22 Magnum. She can carry either one in her waistband, and the .380 in the R. L. Graham Pop-top holster just disappears below her waistband.

NAA_2.JPG

Edited by enfield
My wife found that her Bersa .380 was just too large for her to conceal. She picked out an NAA .380 Guardian and an NAA mini-revolver in .22 Magnum. She can carry either one in her waistband, and the .380 in the R. L. Graham Pop-top holster just disappears below her waistband.

NAA_2.JPG

Both of those are neat little guns and would be great for any women that are concerned about carrying a larger gun. These are definitely better than nothing by a long shot....and beats purse carry all to he**!

I had one of the NAA .22 mag revolvers and I carried it as a backup and a snake gun (loaded with snake shot) for a long time. I sold it a while back to help fund another purchase and there are many times that I wish I still had it. I might have to get another one day. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Tiki Jane

I'm weighing in a bit late with this one, but I just got the Maxpedition "Fatboy" Versipack to serve as my EDC - every day carry - in lieu of carrying a purse.

The Fatboy has a conceal carry pouch/compartment that is easily accessed and holds my Taurus Mil Pro .45 nicely. There are excellent pockets for carrying extra magazines as well and I'm going to add Maxpedition's holster attachment to further secure my gun.

I chose this pack based on reviews (including some good ones on "YouTube"). The design of the pack makes it difficult for a purse slasher/snatcher to make off with it. I now feel a lot more comfortable carrying my weapon with me as I run errands with my elderly mother or am going to and from work.

However - I am also going to practice getting comfortable with an IWB and with my holster for open carry. It's just at this point my "Fatboy" is a good compromise for me.

Guest bersalady

Ok, I know most of you guys are not going to like this reply. But I don't think there is a gun (at least not in a caliber beside a 22) that I can see any way to carry concealed and dress in the office attire for my job.

I wear dresses most days in the summer and suit jackets or sweaters with pants or skirts in the winter. Often I do not even have pockets in the dress or pants that I wear. Even the smallest gun would be pretty obivous in my waistband. This may sound stupid but how do you conceal a gun in your waistband and tuck-in a shirt or wear any type of shirt other the the baby doll style shirt? I have looked the carry holsters and I just don't see how you can these work with most of the things I wear daily. Plus, I would have to get rid of all my dresses... No waistband there...

As I stated before I work in a large office enviroment and don't think I need a gun on me at all times, even if I could possibly figure a way to conceal it.

Maybe as I become more comfortable with my gun or find something else I think I will carry in my purse. I do have a pocket holster in case I am going some where that I feel I could use it.

I could very well be sorry but it's just not something I am not ready to do... Call me vain, call me whatever but I think many women would be comfortable with a really solid purse option even if they carry in a holster other times.

I did find a purse that a can carry aross my body and my hand is right where the gun is located.

Edited by bersalady
Guest Ae-35

Check out the Single Action shooters, a lot of those ladies wear small pistols in elastic thigh holsters just like they did in the late 1800's, since you said you wear dresses, should be able to hide a modern small 380, ( LCP, Kel-Tec, etc.).

Guest Knightsr25
Ok, I know most of you guys are not going to like this reply. But I don't think there is a gun (at least not in a caliber beside a 22) that I can see any way to carry concealed and dress in the office attire for my job.

I wear dresses most days in the summer and suit jackets or sweaters with pants or skirts in the winter. Often I do not even have pockets in the dress or pants that I wear. Even the smallest gun would be pretty obivous in my waistband. This may sound stupid but how do you conceal a gun in your waistband and tuck-in a shirt or wear any type of shirt other the the baby doll style shirt? I have looked the carry holsters and I just don't see how you can these work with most of the things I wear daily. Plus, I would have to get rid of all my dresses... No waistband there...

As I stated before I work in a large office enviroment and don't think I need a gun on me at all times, even if I could possibly figure a way to conceal it.

Maybe as I become more comfortable with my gun or find something else I think I will carry in my purse. I do have a pocket holster in case I am going some where that I feel I could use it.

I could very well be sorry but it's just not something I am not ready to do... Call me vain, call me whatever but I think many women would be comfortable with a really solid purse option even if they carry in a holster other times.

I did find a purse that a can carry aross my body and my hand is right where the gun is located.

My wife has purse carried for many years . they were all roma, safariland ect.. She can consistently draw in under 3 seconds , however she is one that clings tightly to her purse .When you are caught off guard it doesnt matter how fast you are ,3 seconds is still too late , best to be aware of your surroundings at all times . Use what works for you and your circumstance , there are no absolutes in personal security .

Guest friesepferd

although i am generally against purse carry, it is certainly better than nothing. certainly you have to get one that is made for a gun, and one that you can wear over your opposite shoulder at a minimum and you HAVE to have your hands on your purse ALL the time and be very self aware.

Having said that, I can certainly carry in work/dress attire with my gun. I use the smartcarry holster and it works like a dream. I do not, however, wear dresses. There If you wanted something else you would have to use a theigh holster with a small gun.

For when I absolutely can't conceal with my IWB or smartcarry, I have a wilderness safepacker Safepacker Concealed Carry Holster - Wilderness Tactical Products, LLC

It is in no way 'girly', but works great for me when I am outdoors and its friggin hot outside and im wearing shorts and a tight tank top. It certainly looks more like a fanny pack kinda thing or an laptop/electronics kinda bag.

Speaking of, have you considered a fanny pack? There are certainly stylish ones out there and that way it is much more 'on your body' than a purse. That is why I like the safepacker. Its connected to me. I can't set it down. Nobody will go through it, nobody can snatch it off me, etc.