How to assemble a regional TGO shoot for Memphis?

Guest walkingdeadman

Guest walkingdeadman

Well I'm sure my headline pretty much explains it. Just wondering if this is allowed and how to go about trying to get one together.

Hope I posted this in the correct place!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

We've got over 120 members here. The weather is right for it. Just need a place big enough for 20 or 30 of us. I'm thinking of getting some BBQ, chips and drinks catered if enough show interest in paying for the lanes. I would prefer it if someone had some land REALLY close to the city limits.

Guest Halfpint

Depending on which weekend, I'd be in-- the only way I would miss is if I was out for drill. Hanging out, or hanging out and shooting, either one sounds good.

Guest walkingdeadman

I am going to call Range USA and see if they can accomodate us and how much it would run to bring a group in and shoot. As far food, that'd be great! Shooting and eating...two things that I love to do.

I guess the first thing I need to do is maybe start a thread with a poll asking how many members of TGO would be up for a get together. What do you think jackdm3? Am I going

in the right direction with this?

Guest walkingdeadman

I am going to call Range USA and see if they can accomodate us and how much it would run to bring a group in and shoot. As far food, that'd be great! Shooting and eating...two things that I love to do.

I guess the first thing I need to do is maybe start a thread with a poll asking how many members of TGO would be up for a get together. What do you think jackdm3? Am I going

in the right direction with this?

Guest jackdm3

I was told:

Saturdays are always less busy than Sundays.

If we organize a formal group, it would be $320 for 9 lanes, 2 per lane max. If a considerable portion of our group is inexperienced or with minimal training, a $40 Range officer is recommended.

For single individuals, it's $12 per lane. Per hour.

They have 9 50' ranges and 14 75' ranges. If we do a group, they'll put us in the shorter ranges.

Frangibles are available only on Sat. nights from 6 to 9. You buy only their loaded mags at $15 per .223-only 30 round mag. Otherwise, long guns are allowed if they are pistol caliber.

Our next suggested opening is 4-17, but she's checking on the other weekends.

The classrooms are allowed for our eats, but most likely will be filled with classes. We'll have to bring our own microwave.

The $320 fee doesn't appear to be a discount on a bulk gathering.

Most have expressed an outdoor, private land shoot. Any ideas?

Edited by jackdm3
Guest jackdm3

Update:

I was told the owner won't know of lane availability until days before, to get an accurate estimate. They also don't know if we'll get the short or the long ranges for general public use. The range instructor will decide this. And she said we would be welcome to use the diner to eat.

Is there not an outdoor place to shoot in the Memphis area?

While obviously I am not from your area I can offer a tip or two in getting these shoots rolling.

Key is the place to shoot. Second, pick your date and then stand fast on it. Don't waffle when someone says they can't make it this day or that day. You can't please everyone with the date you choose. People who really want to attend will adjust their schedule if at all possible.

Good luck with it. These things are a lot of fun and a great way to meet like minded individuals.

Guest jackdm3

We're in a tight corner of the state and everything East and North is getting developed. That's the biggest question from us locals: Where can I shoot my long guns close to the city? And autos, too? My FIL has land in Hernando. Ten or so guys won't be a problem. 20 or may be a prob. But at least we won't have to deal with range limitations. The house is less than 300 feet away. It's a 45 minute drive from the center of Memphis.

Edited by jackdm3
Guest jackdm3

We had a great rifle range in the middle of the Memphis metro area. It still sits years after being shut down. TFA had a meeting with the sheriff at his new range across the street, but told the visitors to leave their guns in their cars. I don't think many showed up for that. Gotta fend for yourself around here.

I called Shelby County back when they first closed it and asked about renting it. The excuse given as to the closure was due to some people having bullets go past their ears on the trails behind the berms. I called BS on this but it boils down to hippies getting what they wanted which was no range in the city. As it turns out the schools still use the skeet side of it on occasion.

I would be up for some range time but think that paying $320 for 10 people is a bit steep considering we could each just show up and only pay $120.

But if they are talking for several hours of dedicated range time that is a different story.

Oh well. Keep me posted.

Guest jackdm3

Their site says:

TWRA Hunter Education and Range Facility

Fee required. Located at 3200 Brother Blvd. Contact Sam Murrey at (901) 213-3124. Hours: Tuesday (12:00 PM - 9:00 PM), Wednesday & Thursday (11:00 AM - 9:00 PM), and Saturday (9:00 AM - 4:30 PM). Closed on Sunday, Monday, and Friday.

Indoor 25-yard range open to the public. No shotguns or center-fire rifles.

$8.50 (single lane), $12.50 for shared lane (max. of 2 people in shared lane). Cash or check only. No ammunition for sale.

All guns must be in a case before entering the facility. No holstered weapons, regardless of concealed weapon permit.

Directions: From I-40, take the Appling Road Exit. Proceed north on Appling Road and cross over Stage Road. Approximately 800 yards on the right side you will see a service road. There is a green Hunter Education sign on the light pole. The service road is right after the green sign.

No idea about the accommodations for our group for sitting and eating. I'm sure someone here lives close by to give us a report.

Edited by jackdm3
Is there not an outdoor place to shoot in the Memphis area?

MSSA is the only one. I joined back in January because I needed an outdoor place to shoot. It is very expensive though. My fee in January was 530 dollars and then dues are due in June and thats 240 dollars more. But, I never have to pay for range time and there is never any one kicking me out. It took a while but the more firearms I acquired, the easier it was to justify the cost.

Now, being a member, I am allowed to bring guests. The problem is, I don't know if I could bring in twenty or thirty people. However, there are often school trap competitions and other events held out there that are not attended by members exclusively. I am sure that the club would rent us a range if the organizers called and asked but I do not know what price we would be talking about.

Guest whatzit67
Their site says:

TWRA Hunter Education and Range Facility

Fee required. Located at 3200 Brother Blvd. Contact Sam Murrey at (901) 213-3124. Hours: Tuesday (12:00 PM - 9:00 PM), Wednesday & Thursday (11:00 AM - 9:00 PM), and Saturday (9:00 AM - 4:30 PM). Closed on Sunday, Monday, and Friday.

Indoor 25-yard range open to the public. No shotguns or center-fire rifles.

$8.50 (single lane), $12.50 for shared lane (max. of 2 people in shared lane). Cash or check only. No ammunition for sale.

All guns must be in a case before entering the facility. No holstered weapons, regardless of concealed weapon permit.

Directions: From I-40, take the Appling Road Exit. Proceed north on Appling Road and cross over Stage Road. Approximately 800 yards on the right side you will see a service road. There is a green Hunter Education sign on the light pole. The service road is right after the green sign.

No idea about the accommodations for our group for sitting and eating. I'm sure someone here lives close by to give us a report.

OK I went there tonight and the range is not too bad. It has 14 lanes and a large classroom that seats about a 100 (according to Mr. Murrey). It rents out for $35 an hour, but there is no food or drinks allowed in the room. They do have more strict rules on the range that other ranges.

Once on the range you have to carry your weapon to the lane in the case and before you leave the lane it has to placed back in its case. You have to also document what calibers you have shot and how many rounds you fired.