Barska (barfska) scopes any good?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gcrookston
Burris Tac-30 line...any good...yeah I still dont have a clue what I want.

I don't believe you can go wrong with Burris. I've been a fan for 20 years. I considered them on par with Leupold, until a few years ago when Leupold stalled and continued to excellerate.

I own or have owned a variety of their scopes including Full Field, XTR and Euro Diamond.

When you take an XTR and hold it up against a comparable MK4, you must wonder if the extra 10-25% leupold charges for their name is justified.

These are one of my favorite optics makers. I also own or have owned Leupold, Ziess, Unertl, IOR and Swarovski.

Burris, Leupold and IOR below:

DSC00120.jpg

IOR Valdada also makes a fine scope. A former Eastern block company they have been around over half a decade. They cut the lenses for Swarovski optics...

Valdada Optics unfortunately due to the weak dollar overseas these have gone up about 100% in the last 2 years.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston
Thanks man....I appreciate the advice...what about their Eliminator laser/riflescope? Or would that not be precise enough for paper punching?

Don't know them (but anything by Burris should be fine), or the Barska. All I know about optics is you almost will certainly get what you are willing to pay for. It is one of the few instances in life when the cost is most reflective of the quality.

I realize I'm a broken record ...

In my experience you can take a $1,000 scope and put it on a $250 rifle and have a tack driver but you cannot put a $250 scope on a $1,000 rifle and expect the same result.

Especially for paper punching, you want to buy the best scope you can afford. If possible you want to over-buy, as it will allow you a lot of versatility when it comes to various distances and conditions.

The great thing about optics is they do not hold their value. You can find some reasonable deals on high quality glass on gunbroker and ebay. Also gunstores will often strip the glass off their trade-ins and sell separately. The rule of thumb is no more than 50% of retail for the same current mfg. no more than 25% for a discontinued model. Any scope with a dent or ding anywhere, even minor, is to be avoided

Edited by gcrookston

Take a look at Mueller, Vortex and Hawke for budget optics that are well worth the money. Barska seems to be hit or miss, some are good while others have plenty of issues with quality.

If you want to get a little higher on the quality scale look at the SS line or Falcon line. Both are great tactical style scopes that have plenty of quality and features for the price.

Dolomite

Guest gcrookston
Dont leave home without a Schmidt & Bender if you want the best.

Except the new Knight's Stoner SR25 MK1 Mod 0 is being issued with Leupolds. Wa's up wit dat? :tough:

I have a barska 6.5-22x42 (or so I think, some where around that at least) on a 10/22. sure its only a .22 but I don't care I love the scope. I would not try it on a .50 by any means.

There are scope snobs out there just like there are 1911 snobs around every corner and Evil Black Rifle snobs around the the next corner. Sure a big Leupold would be nice but I would not be able to afford to shoot the gun if I went down that road. give the Barska a try if it breaks send it back and get it fixed then sell it on ebay and go buy a different scope.

Guest 70below

I appreciate it. I guess the Fullfield is similar construction to the Signature. I may go ahead and move to 30mm rings if I get a 20MOA base. There isn't a whole lot of adjustment in the Signature with 1/8moa per click.