Weird findings in the woods

Guest AmericanWorkMule

While wading a trout stream on Fort campbell over the past couple of months I often came across this object buried in the fine gravel and rock of the stream bed. Only the top edge of could be seen. Always reminded me of an old car rim about 14 inches in diameter.

So one day while fly fishing that section of stream, I decided to get that piece of junk out of the gin clear waters of the stream. After a considerable amount of effort I got it unstuck from the substrate and emptied it out and rinsed it in the stream.

What I had was a well rusted Dutch Oven totally intact! I walked over to a big flat rock, sat down and while staring at that oven I said...I wish you could tell me "your story"...where did you come from? How did you get here? Why were you left here? And on and on....

Remembering that Fort Campbell was built in 1940 and many farmsteads were taken over by the government and people sent away and their farms destroyed. I stared at the woods a moment and thought I saw a spot that very well could be an old home location.

That old Dutch Oven has most likely been there for at least 72 years. No other way it could have gotten there. That section of stream has a spring flowing into it from a rocky out cropping and most likely where water was drawn for cooking and such.

I put her back in the spot I found her, just like I found her...

Rest In Peace old pot!

Dave S

Edited by DaveS
  • Like 1
Guest NismoFire

There's an old car on one of the trails at Tims Ford...I think it's on the Lost Creek Overlook trail (right behind the Visitor's Center at the trail head to the right of the first suspension bridge).

I've found arrowheads, Mason jars, an old road sign (the road was about 4mi away as the crow flies), all at the farm I grew up on (or the property adjacent to it).

During duck season, if we stay out all day on the lake bottoms, I'll walk the bank during mid-day when the birds aren't flying. I've found a few Zebco's, SEVERAL lures (mostly crankbaits and spinnerbaits/jigs), a few fossils of the plant variety. Oh, and up Viverett Creek on Priest are a few home foundations left over from when the Corps flooded the river.

Dad and I found an old treestand once. He climbed up it but didn't see anything of interest.

We used to go geocaching during the spring/fall, but I can't recall finding something that we weren't already looking for.

That's all I can remember for now...I like this thread. Makes me miss being a kid and being able to explore like I did.