Restaurant Carry Bill

Guest oldfella

Guest 270win

I am from a state where it is legal to carry in restaurants with a concealed handgun license. People can get their licenses pulled by the State Police for committing an alcohol related offense like DWI or public intox in Arkansas while carrying a handgun. There is no specifically against having a drink in a restaurant/private club while carrying a handgun on a license in Arkansas.

I was quite shocked when moving to TN that you could not even carry a handgun anywhere alcohol is served. This bill is pretty strict in that you can be charged with a Class A Misdemeanor for having a drink, not public intox/under influence, while carrying in a place that serves....so drink water, sweet tea, or a coke. The sign deal I'm not to thrilled either because I may have to see folks at the hospital or go to local/state govt buildings...oh well...I just don't have a drink in public in TN while carrying and keep my handgun concealed as always...avoid those problems....hospital parking lots in Memphis are not the safest places..I don't choose to spend money..but sometimes family events bring me there.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HexHead

I hope this isn't going to be like an eBay auction where everything happens in the last 30 seconds, but it's sure looking like Phil left the bill sitting on his desk when he went to China.

Well, I've got two minutes 'til midnight (Eastern) so I guess that is two minutes 'til 1 a.m. over in Nashville. My boss' daughter lives in China and from what she has said, unless I am mistaken, they are twelve hours ahead of us - meaning that it is noon on Tuesday the 18th, there.

So unless someone has other info, it sounds like Phil didn't want his heinie handed to him, again, on a veto. Maybe he just let it pass into law without a signature.

EDIT: Well, the posting time stamp says it is actually after midnight, now.

Guest nashvegas
Might want to study up a tad on that time zone thang.

- OS

Yes... The sun rises in the east and sets to the west.

Might want to study up a tad on that time zone thang.

- OS

D'oh! You are right, of course. I guess I let my wishful thinking get the better of me. Okay, now it is 1:01 a.m. here - so NOW it is past midnight in Nashville.

Guest friesepferd

aw common. i was hoping to hear some confirming info that its passed by now. whats the status? i realize it should be law right now.. but obviosuly need to SEE something to that effect. *waits*

Guest friesepferd

did anyone else notice that on the bill summary page:

Bill Summary

they have something worded terribly wrong?

AMENDMENT #2 adds that, in addition to committing a Class A misdemeanor offense, any handgun carry permit holder who possesses a firearm in an establishment open to the public where alcoholic beverages are served for on-premises consumption will be subject to having such person's permit suspended for three years.

That clearly says that you will commit a class A misdemeanor as well as a 3 yr permit suspension for carrying into a resteraunt.

We all know that is for consuming on premises while carrying, but that summary is written wrong.

Thankfull that is the summary of the bill, and not the bill :P

did anyone else notice that on the bill summary page:

Bill Summary

they have something worded terribly wrong?

That clearly says that you will commit a class A misdemeanor as well as a 3 yr permit suspension for carrying into a resteraunt.

We all know that is for consuming on premises while carrying, but that summary is written wrong.

Thankfull that is the summary of the bill, and not the bill :P

This is what passed...

If you are armed and....

...are consuming in a place that serves alcohol - Class A misdemeanor

...are under the influence in a place that serve alcohol - Class A misdemeanor & HCP suspended for 3 years.

Guest Gun Geek

I have been through the bill and the amendments at least a hundred times already. But someone correct me if I am mistaken. The way I read according to the amendments on this bill, all they have to have is the circle/slash sign rather than the proper wording, or they can have wording similar to.... or both. Correct?

If that be the case, I got my new Droid phone, I will be taking pictures of all signs and posting them to my site along with business info etc. If you guys run across any, PM me the pic, address, business name and web address if they have one, and I will post those as well.

If that be the case, I got my new Droid phone, I will be taking pictures of all signs and posting them to my site along with business info etc. If you guys run across any, PM me the pic, address, business name and web address if they have one, and I will post those as well.

This is a great idea, I'm in.

Guest stovepipe

I called Speaker William's office and the young fellow who answered the phone didn't know the status of the bill, or if it required additional (second) signatures from both Speakers. Was waiting for the bills status page to update. 'Guess that's the official source we need to watch...

Tennessee General Assembly

Guest stovepipe

Things that make you go Hmmm...

Spoke to Sen Jackson's office and the young guy there says they are still waiting on the house to vote on it (SB3012)... After convincing him the bill had passed, he says they're waiting for the Gov to sign or veto the bill, didn't know anything about it going into law after 10 days w/o signature. When convinced of that he says the bill won't go into effect for 90 days...

Hmmm...

Edited by stovepipe
Guest friesepferd
Things that make you go Hmmm...

Spoke to Sen Jackson's office and the young guy there says they are still waiting on the house to vote on it (SB3012)... After convincing him the bill had passed, he says they're waiting for the Gov to sign or veto the bill, didn't know anything about it going into law after 10 days w/o signature. When convinced of that he says the bill won't go into effect for 90 days...

wow. why even pretend to know what ur talking about? idiot. :screwy: