Martial Arts?

Guest Satt

Anyone into martial arts? I am just curious how many of you gun toters are into the martial arts. I am personally into Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu. I really enjoy it and have been into it for about 3 years now. So what are you into?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, though, I have been wanting to get into martial arts, but I don't know what would be good for my size. I have been thinking Aikido, but I'm undecided.

Seriously, though, I have been wanting to get into martial arts, but I don't know what would be good for my size. I have been thinking Aikido, but I'm undecided.

Roughly how big are you? (No pun intended) I am 5'4" and weigh about 250 pounds. I find that I can practice the art I am in pretty effectively and not be in the best shape. Some arts do require more sweat than others. Mine just requires more blood than sweat.

6'0" and 285. And I have no idea what martial art it is that you study. I THINK I can pronounce it, but I also have some arthritis from broken bones, so no high kicks for me.

When I was younger, and before the Dojo moved, I studied Isshin Ryu Karate for five years. I made third in a Tennessee youth division! OF course, now I've gotten fat and well out of shape. (even if round is a shape)

EDIT: Dotsun, did you take Isshin Ryu from a man named Gilbert? He was my teacher, and an awesome dude!

6'0" and 285. And I have no idea what martial art it is that you study. I THINK I can pronounce it, but I also have some arthritis from broken bones, so no high kicks for me.

Look up "Bujinkan" in Google and you can read all about it and see video on Youtube etc... Believe it or not, it is a very good art for people with physical problems of any kind. ( I am not trying to persuade you though) It is actually very hard to find someone that teaches it in most places. I can't speak for Akido though. I would definately check out something though. Any good instructor should be able to work around your physical ailments. My intention with this thread was just to see what different martial arts people here are into. I personally find that my martial arts training helps me greatly in my tactical ability with a firearm.

EDIT: Dotsun, did you take Isshin Ryu from a man named Gilbert? He was my teacher, and an awesome dude!

Nope, but I've heard of him. I took from McMillan here in Clinton for a while when I was in high school, and from BJ Frye and Ginger Perry of the Phil Little School when I got into karate again later.

I did Judo for a while 2 years ago, I fell out of it over the summer between school years and never got back into it. It's a lot of fun, and I think about going back all the time.

I practiced Judo for a short time years ago. I acutaully dabbled in several arts until I finally settled on the one I am in now. I tried Judo, American Karate, Kenpo, Shodokan, Shootfighting, and now Budo Taijutsu. I don't believe there is one art better than the other. I think everyone must experiment until they find something they are comfortable with and work hard at it. That is when you will actually be able to use it. It's kind of like testing a lot of different guns until you hold and fire the right one...

Guest Legally Armed

Butch Hill is the owner and instructor for Self-Defense Initiatives in Nashville. If someone is looking for a Tennessee Handgun Permit Course or wants to learn how to shoot for survival, this is one person they can rely on that will 'teach' versus talking about themselves. He is also a Glock instructor and Armor.

In additon to firearm instruction he is an 8th dan, Isshinru Karate, & 4th dan U.S. Judo Association. He was inducted into the Karate Hall of Fame in 1997.

He is one of the best firearm instructors and Martial Arts Instructors anywhere. There are people who speak about some instructors who are mostly air versus knowledge [one former police officer in Nashville comes to mind], then there are a few people like Butch Hill who have trained all their lives to better their own odds of survival. They share this knowledge with others. They speak very little about their own accomplishments because they want others to learn. This is a the type of person someone can learn from. The difficulty is that there are very few like him.

I know Judo and Karate and a bunch of other foreign words. :D

No, seriously I started training in Karate on my own from a couple of books when I was 14 years old. Then over the years I picked up some training from a few people who knew what they were doing. One of my roommates in college had a third-degree black belt and used to beat me up on a regular basis. Of course we called it training.

And I've had a bunch of military training. I don't know it would fit into a particular discipline. It's just self defense and attack stuff.

Glockfu? does that count?

What scares me Mars is that as soon as I read this I also thought Glock-phooey. Then I click on the next page icon and there is your post.:confused:

And on the original topic: I have been the punching bag for several people over the years most notably in Shorin Ken Karate and Wing Tsun Kung Fu. Never formally trained in either but have spent several years being abused by those that have. If I can ever find a place to study Krav Maga(middle TN) then I will be all over it.

I am currently taking classes in the "Marital Arts" given to me by my wife since I have been married. I have been studing it for 15 years now. Can't say I am anywhere near a "Master" certification. It mainly involves doing what I have been told. But there are many kata's I have had to learn and commit to memory... "Take out the trash", "Call when late", "Help her with jacket", etc.

I am still struggling with the one called... "Put the seat back down". It is very foreign and strange to me. It seemed simple enough... but there is something oddly difficult with me mastering it. (Sensi is not happy with my progress thus far.)

I did advance quickly (not bragging mind you) in the art of "Listening... without listening." Not really hard to master... but something that has proved usefull not only in marriage... but in common day to day life.

Currently I have not been given a belt... just a gold ring. But i was

allowed to remove it from my nose and place it on my finger. :confused: