Martial Arts?

Guest Satt

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's truly amazing how the military will teach you how to actually fight - isn't it?

They didn't used to, the Modern Army Combatives Program is really new.

I was in the Army from 85 to 89 and what amazed me was how LITTLE they taught us to fight. Heck if you owned a firearm you were not allowed to keep it in your quarters. I was an officer and had to keep my pistol in the armory during the short period I stayed in the BOQ.

It was a real fight to even qualify with our small arms. The real stupid thing was that in order to keep the ammo levels available for training at the same or increase them, we had to use it all up every year. So during the last quarter, after only allowing or scheduling one required qualification, they would run as many folks as possible to the range and just shoot it all up. Rock and Roll was encouraged but no real training was engaged in the action. They just wanted it gone so they could say, send more next year and then again fail to set up real training the following year.:tinfoil:

When I as a lowly Lieutenant complained to my commander that it was stupid and wasteful, he gave the old Army axiom, it is what it is. Hand to Hand? We never saw the one day of that during my stints with a FA unit in Korea and with two airborne units at Ft. Bragg. Sad that the fighters were not trained to be fighters. I'm glad they are trying to instill some fighting spirit now.

that thing about using all your ammo up at the end of the quarter... we fired something like ~58 AT4's in 4 rocket salvos until they were all gone. we were begging people to come up on the firing line to shoot them. one of my old psgt's hit a tank at like 1200m and the sights only go to like 800. he took one practice and went short then got the next one dead on then a third hit the dirt right in front but still got contact with the treads.

• 2 weeks later...

Krav Maga definitely has everyones attention right now. Most anything is better than nothing. I have been studying Wado Ryu for a while now. I really like it. My school is down to earth and we train in several forms but test and concentrate on Wado. Starting in March my school is going to be conducting an MMA class on Saturdays. We will be doing a bit of everything from BJJ, Judo, to Krav. I am really looking forward to the diversity.

The important thing is to study an art. If you are truly wanting to defend yourself, you are much more likely to do it with your physical and mental abilities than your handgun. It's best to be proficient in all aspects of the fight!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest harbinger
Anyone know who teaches Krav Maga in/around Knoxville?

Don't know how familiar you are with K-town, but from what I understand, The Edge Martial Arts Academy near Cedar Bluff used to offer Krav Maga seminars. I've never taken a class there, so I can't comment on their quality. I do know they run on the expensive side.

I've taken a few martial arts. Isshin-Ryu and Satori-Ryu Iaido the entire time (and then some) I was in college. I had to stop when I graduated due to issues at home paired with the cost. I've been taking Aikido for the past four years, and I love it to death. Our dojo is a bit "harder" than most Aikido dojos, and it tends to be a bit more reality-based. We're more of an Aiki-budo dojo; training in pieces of many arts yet always circling back to the Aikido.

Something else I've picked up on: the less you pay, the better the instruction tends to be. Not always true, but finding a dojo where all your dues go toward rent and your instructors actually take no money, is priceless.

• 2 months later...

I've trained in traditial martial arts, tae kwon do, hapkido, jujitsu, and kick boxing.

I think most give you a false sense of security as they teach you to train is a static environment.

The best style I trained in was a style called American Combatives in Huntington WV, basically the same as Krav Mava (as I understand it) - attack the attacker, the person who has the stronger offense wins, nothing is static and whatever you train for turns to crap in the real world.

Joe

Jeet Kune Do

The key is to learn every range of combat and be able to flow from one to the other... Kicking range, Boxing range, Trapping range, Standing Grappling, Groundfighting. If you are missing one you are just asking to have Murphy's Law slap you up side the head...

My weapons training comes from Kali and Silat. Incredible weapon arts

Guest jimpres

The word before Ryu was changed by the system because is spelled a bad word?

It is the slang work for fecal matter.

Guest nraforlife

2nd Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do. Used to instruct the Marines at Kings Bay Naval Base and for the MWR dept there, part time after work for additional cash. Great way to get in shape, get into better shape, and for stress relief. I, personally have a lot of issues with training and training and training some more on high kicks. Flashy yes, effective IF you connect yes, not so good if you end up on your ass or off balance.

Guest Boomhower
The only problem is "knowing when the attack is imminent." I think many instructors throw that in there just as a liability-type safeguard.

I've not been following this thread closely, so forgive me if your talking about a previous post, but if your commenting on the video.....a gun in my face is pretty imminent to me.

I've not been following this thread closely, so forgive me if your talking about a previous post, but if your commenting on the video.....a gun in my face is pretty imminent to me.

You're exactly right, I agree with you 100%--that's my point. He starts out by saying if you have a gun in your face and they demand your wallet, give him your wallet. On the other hand, if an attack is imminent, here's what you do...

I think's it's silly to mention "if you determine an attack is imminent..." I'm with you--a gun in my face is the same threat, whether they say "give me your wallet," or "I'll kill you." I bet that many instructors feel the same way, but feel obligated to throw it in there at first to satisfy those who would criticize them for even teaching how to take away a gun.

BTW, I took Krav Maga for about a year, and I've shocked many friends with the technique shown in the video. Would I try it for real on the street? Hopefully, I'll never be faced with that decision.

Guest Boomhower
You're exactly right, I agree with you 100%--that's my point. He starts out by saying if you have a gun in your face and they demand your wallet, give him your wallet. On the other hand, if an attack is imminent, here's what you do...

I think's it's silly to mention "if you determine an attack is imminent..." I'm with you--a gun in my face is the same threat, whether they say "give me your wallet," or "I'll kill you." I bet that many instructors feel the same way, but feel obligated to throw it in there at first to satisfy those who would criticize them for even teaching how to take away a gun.

BTW, I took Krav Maga for about a year, and I've shocked many friends with the technique shown in the video. Would I try it for real on the street? Hopefully, I'll never be faced with that decision.

Gotcha...We're on the same page now.....I find videos like this very informative for myself. It gives you something else to think about and/or practice if you so choose.....Dave, remember this the next time you wanna mess with me!!! :koolaid:

Guest dotsun
Gotcha...We're on the same page now.....I find videos like this very informative for myself. It gives you something else to think about and/or practice if you so choose.....Dave, remember this the next time you wanna mess with me!!! :eek:

The youtube is strong in you, padawan. :D