Martial Arts?

Guest Satt

How did Ken Po turn out Satt? I've been looking into it.

Honestly, I loved it! :doh: If there wasn't anywhere to study Budo Taijutsu where I live I would definately be back into Kenpo. Besides the one I am involved in now, Kenpo was definately my favorite. I would definately recomend it. Sorry it took so long to get back to you BTW.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am currently taking classes in the "Marital Arts" given to me by my wife since I have been married. I have been studing it for 15 years now. Can't say I am anywhere near a "Master" certification. It mainly involves doing what I have been told. But there are many kata's I have had to learn and commit to memory... "Take out the trash", "Call when late", "Help her with jacket", etc.

I am still struggling with the one called... "Put the seat back down". It is very foreign and strange to me. It seemed simple enough... but there is something oddly difficult with me mastering it. (Sensi is not happy with my progress thus far.)

I did advance quickly (not bragging mind you) in the art of "Listening... without listening." Not really hard to master... but something that has proved usefull not only in marriage... but in common day to day life.

Currently I have not been given a belt... just a gold ring. But i was

allowed to remove it from my nose and place it on my finger. :doh:

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest E L Mclemore

I trained in Bujinkan in Georgia under Sensei Malmstrom and Sensei Hoban in the late 80's, and ran a Dojo for 17 yrs in central FL. I find that Ki training is very useful in general shooting as well as live fire conditions.

Guest TargetShooter84
I hope dude has that supplemental insurance.

Couple years ago, my coworker attempted to do a backflip, and he landed on his head, breaking his spine in the neck area and because of that stunt he did, he is paralyzed from neck down and has no chance of walking and never had health insurance so he and his family are in serious debt over his actions....No offense but those things are really stupid and ridiculous.

I played judo in junior high and wrestled in high school, 20 years ago. I started working out last year and lost about 46 lbs so I figured I'd give MA another try in December. I went to a one hour intro class at Nashville MMA on a Wednesday and entered a Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu tournament the following Saturday. I won silver and was very happy with my performance overall. The guy that beat me for Gold also won the overall for the whole tourny so that made it not sting as badly.

However, to borrow a term, the "marital arts" :( got in the way so now I'm back to not doing martial arts. :ugh: Fun stuff though and based on the tourney results it seems to stick with you for your life.

Widowmaker Dan, did you ever get any HTH after basic? I figure it may have changed now, but when I was in we had a couple days in basic and never did it again.

• Administrator

I took Ken Po for the first two years after I moved to Nashville. I enjoyed it, but work and life got in the way so I had to give it up. I've read up on Krav Maga and would love to get involved in something like that, but apparently no one is authorized to run a school in Nashville yet and I really don't feel like driving to Memphis for classes.

I've lost a little over 60lbs in the past 6 months and am steadily working my way back down to my target weight. Doing that has made it a lot easier for me to get back into cardio and strength training, so naturally I keep wanting to get back into something like this. :(

Began martial arts in 1958 while in High School and remained active until 1990. Fortunate to have been able to train under several masters of different styles. Was in the U.S. Air Force and was fortunate to train under Chuck Norris, for whom I have the greatest respect. That was 46 years ago......where did the time go???

I am currently taking classes in the "Marital Arts" given to me by my wife since I have been married. I have been studing it for 15 years now. Can't say I am anywhere near a "Master" certification. It mainly involves doing what I have been told. But there are many kata's I have had to learn and commit to memory... "Take out the trash", "Call when late", "Help her with jacket", etc.

I am still struggling with the one called... "Put the seat back down". It is very foreign and strange to me. It seemed simple enough... but there is something oddly difficult with me mastering it. (Sensi is not happy with my progress thus far.)

I did advance quickly (not bragging mind you) in the art of "Listening... without listening." Not really hard to master... but something that has proved usefull not only in marriage... but in common day to day life.

Currently I have not been given a belt... just a gold ring. But i was

allowed to remove it from my nose and place it on my finger. :(

Way to go Creeky! I was going to post "Whats being married got to do with fighting? Ooops, just answered my own question" decided to read through the thread and figured someone may have misdirected on the martial to marital! GMTA:D

Widowmaker Dan, did you ever get any HTH after basic? I figure it may have changed now, but when I was in we had a couple days in basic and never did it again.

yes we did it once a week as a platoon pt thing. an hour and a half to two hours a week. mostly covering basics but the last 30 mins or so we would actually try and fight it out. my psgt did the combatives program for the whole company since he was from 3/75th and then he was a rip instructor so he tried to teach whenever possible.

nice call on teh widowmaker though.

yes we did it once a week as a platoon pt thing. an hour and a half to two hours a week. mostly covering basics but the last 30 mins or so we would actually try and fight it out. my psgt did the combatives program for the whole company since he was from 3/75th and then he was a rip instructor so he tried to teach whenever possible.

nice call on teh widowmaker though.

Dco 3/502 inf 95-98 :eek:

Glad to hear they do it on a regualr basis now days.

B co. 2/7 cav,

HHT 2nd ACR

back when I was in they didn't teach you how to fight...they just threw you into one with your squadmates and anyone else that cared to throw down. If you couldn't swim you'd learn to pretty quickly, or you'd get tired of the casts.

Its good to see that they're teaching the "interpersonal communication" skills nowdays. :D