Legal length of gun with a folding stock?

Guest tedbo

Guest tedbo

Somebody asked me yesterday if there is a minimum legal length of a rifle with a folding stock in Tn.

Something like a 10/22 or folding yugo ak.

I said I didn't know but would try to find out.

I think some other states call for at least 26".

Yes, I tried the search button but got nothing.

Anyone?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Gun has to meet the 16/18" barrel and 26" overall wheather stock is open or closed.

Not sure what you meant?

Pretty sure that federal law measures overall length with stock extended.

It can be shorter than 26" with stock folded.

There is exception if stock is of a "quick" release type, in which case weapon is measured without the stock.

Some state laws measure with stock folded, though, but not TN.

If this is wrong, I'm sure a dealer here will correct it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Not sure what you meant?

Pretty sure that federal law measures overall length with stock extended.

It can be shorter than 26" with stock folded.

There is exception if stock is of a "quick" release type, in which case weapon is measured without the stock.

Some state laws measure with stock folded, though, but not TN.

If this is wrong, I'm sure a dealer here will correct it.

- OS

This is correct. Otherwise that Kel-Tec 2000 folding 9mm carbine would be a easy 10 year trip to the pokey.

This is correct. Otherwise that Kel-Tec 2000 folding 9mm carbine would be a easy 10 year trip to the pokey.

Well, that's sort of the whole gun folding in half, dunno if that's really same thing, since gun is inoperable in that position.

But the Kel-Tec SU 16D is only 20" folded and is operable folded:

pic2.jpg

A Ruger 10/22 with 16" barrel in a Butler Creek folder would also be illegal, as mine with 18" barrel is just about exactly 26" folded.

I guess lots of guns would be illegal if measured with stock folded.

- OS

ATF regs call for 26" minimum open or folded check the website

"To measure overall length do so along, the distance between the extreme ends of the weapon

measured along a line parallel to the center line of the bore."

27 CFR sec. 179.11.

Clarification regarding using folding stock extended as the overall length of the measurement is apparently in an additional published decision from ATF.

Somewhere. It's quoted by lots of FFLs to be almost verbatim to this summation found on Wiki:

"Overall length is measured between the extreme ends of the gun, along a centerline which passes through the middle of the barrel. For rifles fitted with folding or telescoping stocks (such as U.S. Carbine M1A1), US Federal guidelines state that measurement is made with the stock unfolded as intended for use as a rifle; exception is made for rifles with easily detachable shoulder stocks, which shall be measured with shoulder stock detached. Some states such as California measure overall length with the stock folded. Barrel length is measured from the end of the muzzle to the front of the breechface, typically by inserting a measuring rod into the barrel. Barrel length may partially comprise a permanently-attached muzzle accessory (such as a compensator or flash suppressor)."

- OS