1911 4 in. or 5 in. barrel ?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest RGL01

Personally I stick with full size 5" 1911s. Don't see any need to reduce the 1911s dimensions in barrel or grip. Own three. My only sidearms. Conceal just fine in an IWB holster. Mighty comfy. :rofl:

I can guarantee you that my HK45 will shoot just as well (not almost as well, JUST AS WELL) as an Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk etc... but I would have to nearly double my efforts than if I were shooting the 1911. Get the fundamentals down, get consistent, then buy something that will truly make your skills shine. :rofl:

Bart

Thats right you just keep telling yourself that Kid.

Just traded in for a full size Para-Ordnance Hi-Cap LDA 1911 (it's my avatar). I absolutely love it. I'm having a bit of trouble with slide lock reassembly and since I cleaned my magazines aren't ejecting with as much force behind them as they used to. Not sure what I did to cause that but I absolutely love the gun and I'm going to spend all night disassembling and reassembling until I can assess and remedy the problem.

Guest Orionsic
Aside from that, 1911s make lazy marksmen. I say that because they are just so easy to shoot so well. Point in case, I can guarantee you that my HK45 will shoot just as well (not almost as well, JUST AS WELL) as an Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk etc... but I would have to nearly double my efforts than if I were shooting the 1911. Get the fundamentals down, get consistent, then buy something that will truly make your skills shine. :rofl:

Bart

Dumbass advice.

Edited by Orionsic
Guest bart_p
Thats right you just keep telling yourself that Kid.

I guess each has their own opinion, but until you see the HK45 groupings I would suggest you reserve comments like this one to yourself. You will only look stupid when it turns up on the range next to your $3000 gun shooting groups the same size. I love 1911's, but sad to say that there are others out there. Don't forget that a guy named Larry Vickers (maybe you've heard of him B)) played a major role in designing the HK45. Just so there's no confusion, I'm talking HK45 here, not USP .45.

Dumbass advice.

That's a really mature response. I guess that because you don't necessarily agree with someone you call their advice "dumbass." Well sir, since my advice is rubbish, please enlighten us all with your almighty wealth of knowledge and give some good advice that rings harmonious melodies on our ears. I'm dying to hear this

Bart

Edited by bart_p
You can get them in a few different sizes...for absolute reliability 4" or more is typically recommended. If your going to carry it(unless your a big guy) most people(myself included) would recommend a "Commander Size" which is 4"-4.25" for range work a 5" or bigger would be better.....just my $.02

Great advice. In earlier times, back into the 60's it was well known and accepted that the shortest barrel length for RELIABLE operation on the 1911 was the "commander Length" or 4.25 inch barrel length (...that's why Colt only made two barrel lengths then; 5 and 4.25...). There were several enterprising attempts to cut the 1911 back further, but for the most part, they were failures due to poor reliability. That being said, there have been great advances in the manufacture and engineering of these new, short (...3 inch length...) 1911's. I suspect that the newer ones by folks like Kimber, SW, Springfield, STI (...and others...) are plenty reliable because of these advances. My problem with them is that they lose sight radius (...an important part of the handgun shooting equation...), bullet velocity, and (...as some have said...) reliability as the barrel gets shorter. I like the 4 to 4.25 inch barrel for a "compact" 1911. In spite of what some folks say, a 45ACP is a powerful handgun with a pretty good recoil. It takes a fair amount of practice to shoot one proficiently. The fact is, that anyone can do it; but it takes some practice and getting used to get proficient with it.

I suspect that the 9 mm would work better in the shorter barrel lengths. The proficiency curve would also be better due to the lower recoil on the 9 mm.

By the way, it has been my experience that barrel length has no appreciable affect on accuracy (...from the mechanical perspective...). From the shooter perspective, the effect is large. It takes much more practice to shoot well with a short barreled pistol. You simply have to hold closer to do it; and that takes more practice.

Hope this helps

Kind regards,

Leroy

I guess each has their own opinion, but until you see the HK45 groupings I would suggest you reserve comments like this one to yourself. You will only look stupid when it turns up on the range next to your $3000 gun shooting groups the same size. I love 1911's, but sad to say that there are others out there. Don't forget that a guy named Larry Vickers (maybe you've heard of him :rolleyes:) played a major role in designing the HK45. Just so there's no confusion, I'm talking HK45 here, not USP .45.

Bart

And just how many Wilsons, Baers,Browns,Nighthawks do you own or have you shot. Hk makes a decent "Chrunchinthunker" and I'm really impressed by "Larry Vickers" but it's nothing more than a upgraded USP/2000. You can try and make a silk purse out of a sow's ear but in the end it's still a sow's ear. Like I said you keep beleiving that if you want too and you've made some pretty stupid comments yourself.

Edited by Hgunner
Guest bart_p

So be it guys. You can't please them all. I refuse to argue with people that make personal attacks on me. Disagreeing with my opinion is one thing, but you guys seem to get off on attacking me personally. I still haven't heard you guys come in and give solid advice. I'm through in this thread.

Bart

JMB is rolling in his grave right now. To think of the blasphemy in this thread! You should all be ashamed! 5" Government or reap what you've sewn my friends! Seriously though, not to sound like a jerk, but the OP sounds like they are new to handguns. If that is the case, I would strongly suggest steering clear of a 1911 as your first sidearm. They are fantastic no doubt, but someone who knows little about sidearms would have a great deal of trouble with upkeep of such a weapon. Aside from that, 1911s make lazy marksmen. I say that because they are just so easy to shoot so well. Point in case, I can guarantee you that my HK45 will shoot just as well (not almost as well, JUST AS WELL) as an Ed Brown, Les Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk etc... but I would have to nearly double my efforts than if I were shooting the 1911. Get the fundamentals down, get consistent, then buy something that will truly make your skills shine. :rolleyes:

Bart

Bart, wasn't meant as a personal attck, just my way of disagreeing with

you. Lets take a look at your original post.

1. The 1911 is one of the easiest weapons to maintain. It can be completely disassembled, cleaned and repaired with a minimum of tools, with just a little mechnical ability.

2. Your own words "they are just so easy to shoot so well".

"but i would have to nearly double my efforts than if I were shooting the 1911". What better endorsment could you give the 1911 as opposed to the HK. Why would you advise someone to go with a more difficult platform to master shooting well?

3 Accuracy...Have you ever shot a Wilson? a Baer? a Brown?" a Nighthawk? Do you own any of the above. Can you make that direct

comparision from experience?

Guest bart_p
Bart, wasn't meant as a personal attck, just my way of disagreeing with

you. Lets take a look at your original post.

1. The 1911 is one of the easiest weapons to maintain. It can be completely disassembled, cleaned and repaired with a minimum of tools, with just a little mechnical ability. They are not hard to maintain. They are, however, a bit more involved than the simpler modern arms. That was my point.

2. Your own words "they are just so easy to shoot so well".

"but i would have to nearly double my efforts than if I were shooting the 1911". What better endorsment could you give the 1911 as opposed to the HK. Why would you advise someone to go with a more difficult platform to master shooting well? I said that the 1911 is basically a crux for shooters. I was advising the OP to learn on something simpler and once they got the basics down they could truly appreciate what a 1911 could do for them.

3 Accuracy...Have you ever shot a Wilson? a Baer? a Brown?" a Nighthawk? Do you own any of the above. Can you make that direct

comparision from experience? As a matter of fact I have shot all but the Nighthawk (have been on the line with a guy who had one). I can say that from MY experience that they are all tack drivers. Also, in my opinion, my particular HK45 as every bit as accurate. Who knows, maybe I got a factory freak. I can say that I have seen other HK arms produce similar results.

Bart

The 1911 is a modern firearm, HK even used design features of in your HK.

Double your efforts thats what you said, and I think you meant crutch, not crux. Crux would be like the root of a problem. I think again thats pretty ridiculous as there isn't a much simpler platform than the 1911.

Glad you've had the opportunity to shoot all of those 1911's and that your

HK is a good one.

So the next time I get a call, and need to teach someone new to shoot. I will give them the basics and show them different platforms to chose from etc. Then I should advise them to go out and buy the worst cheapest POS they can find and master that first, so when they buy a good gun they will appreciate what they have. Something that is going to require at least twice the effort to become proficient with. Not to giude them to something that they would feel comfortabe with and that they could become proficiet with quickly, and might help save their life if it came to that.

Edited by Hgunner
Guest bart_p

Please re-read my post. I said I would have to double my efforts to shoot the HK as well as the 1911. I said that the 1911 is much easier to shoot. I did mean to use "crux" instead of "crutch" because a crux is by definition "an essential point requiring resolution." What I mean by that is if a person starts shooting on a 1911 and then picks up another handgun it will be a very steep learning curve and they will probably never be as proficient. If, on the other hand, that individual were to learn on another newer (since you are correct a 1911 is technically modern) design (not a cheap POS, your words not mine) then they could pick up a 1911 and become a miraculous shooter. Think of it like this: Would a new driver looking to get into racing sports be better suited with an entry level car or a Ferrari? With the entry level they can learn the basics and, when they are ready, transfer what they learned to the Ferrari and their skills will be better suited to push the Ferrari to its limits. In other words there won't be much untapped potential left over. I really don't understand why that concept is so hard to understand.

Bart

Get a 5 inch Government or a 4.25 Commander, either of those will make you very happy. If the 1911 is built well you will not see any accuracy, or reliability difference when comparing a Government to Commander model, I own and love both but will never own one with a slide less than 4.25 inches when they are built less than that you are shortening the length of travel the slide has and you are risking reliability :confused: The exception to this for me is Wilson Combat, Bill knows how to build his 1911's with 4.00 inch barrels and makes them 100% reliable

Edited by willis68

So I think the 5 inch barrel is ultimately the better choice, because everyone agrees it will be accurate and dependable every time. However the 4 inch seems to be a great gun as well. Depending on the make & model of the gun and the shooter. Does everyone agree?

So I think the 5 inch barrel is ultimately the better choice, because everyone agrees it will be accurate and dependable every time. However the 4 inch seems to be a great gun as well. Depending on the make & model of the gun and the shooter. Does everyone agree?

That all depends on what kind of 1911 you are talking about, how much are you wanting to spend?

Guest BigShot
That all depends on what kind of 1911 you are talking about, how much are you wanting to spend?

Exactly!!

Any 1911 can be made reliable and accurate. It's how much money you're willing to part with to get it up front or pay down the road in a custom shop. Accuracy is debatable anyways.

Of all the 5, 4 and 3 inchers I've owned, the Colt Gold Cup was the freshest factory gun I had. Reliable, accurate and not overly expensive compared to the next level customs. My Paras 5" and 3" are a very close second only because of the accuracy. None of them had reliability problems.

In the beginning, starting with a 5" didn't hurt my shooting at all. Go for it!!

Just got a Para Hi-Cap LDA not too long ago. 5 inch barrel and I absolutely love it. I think the biggest issue concerning the different barrel lengths is draw time really. Shorter barrel equals faster draw time and can make the difference between life or death. I personally prefer the longer barrel however. I wish I could carry this thing everywhere but unfortunately I'm usually either at work or at school.

I've had one of each length and have never experienced the dreaded "shorter barreled 1911s jam" phenomenon.

Bought a Para Hawg9 back in December which is a 3 inch, 9mm, double stack.

Everything a 1911 purist will tell you not to buy all rolled into one package.

When I finally get a chance to shoot this thing, I expect to not even be able to fire off one successful round :popcorn:

Now to answer the question in the OP, I'd go with the 4 inch out of the two you asked about.