Please Educate me on Post Sample

I searched up and down and could not find an explaination of what is a post sample. So my question is what is it. can one but a post sample machine gun or what not and actually legally use it ?? please enlighten me as my cup of knowledge in this matter is empty.

Thanks

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mgjohn

Post sample is an MG built after the 1986 MG ban went into effect. This is a build on a receiver not already registered before the ban took affect. A Class 2 manufacturer can build them and use them, they can be transfered to a Class 3 dealer but not to a individual owner.

Can legally be used by Class 2 or 3 or anyone with them or at a MG rental range..

Is it possible for a regular joe to get a class 3 or one has to have a store to do so. Mainly i ask is because i see post samples at great prices all the time.

Only if you are becoming a dealer to actually operate a ligit business. You cannot become a dealer just to buy cheap post sample machine guns.

Another thing is that most times on a post sample gun you need a demo letter from a LE/MIL organization for you to legitimately have it in your possesion.

I just woke up and can't recall the details but it is possible for you to purchase certain FA sample guns under a SOT then when your SOT expires you can keep the MG's you purchased as your personal collection. Prices aren't much different but you do have access to a few more MG's than you normally would.

My wife has been all over me for a number of years to get a few MG's as well as suppressors. I just worry about feeding a MG, even a 22. As far as the suppressors go I will probably just use a Form 1 and make my one, it wouldn't be that hard as well as the fact I have had a unique design floating around in my head I have been wanting to try.

Dolomite

Another thing is that most times on a post sample gun you need a demo letter from a LE/MIL organization for you to legitimately have it in your possesion.

I just woke up and can't recall the details but it is possible for you to purchase certain FA sample guns under a SOT then when your SOT expires you can keep the MG's you purchased as your personal collection. Prices aren't much different but you do have access to a few more MG's than you normally would.

Dolomite

This only applies to pre sample guns. All post sample guns must go.

Guest milkman

On Yahoo Answers...

#4 was my answer, and I will freely admit that I was talking out of my @$$ at the time. However the story with that particular question was that the person asking had asked three or four questions about Full Auto weapons. Each time he got an answer he said the answer he choose was wrong. Finally he posted the question about POST and said he knew a high ranking ATF Agent who could make it happen.

That question was one of the many reasons I no longer post at Yahoo Answers. Not to mention that in the Hunting Section (Where you talk about guns) you get 50-60% of the questions dealing with AirSoft, or you get questions like, "I just played (Insert War Game Here) and now I have to have a .338 Laupa Beltfed Machine Gun, but it must weigh less then 5 pounds and cost less then $50 because I don't want my parents to know I have it! BTW I'm 13 and I live in New York." (That mught be a bit of a hyperbole, but you know what I mean.)

• 1 year later...
You could build it if you were an 07/02. However, like Dolomite said, you need a letter. And you would have to get rid of it if your 07/02 expires.

A 07/02 does not have to have a LEO letter to build a machine gun. But they do have to notify ATF by filling out a form 2 when they build one.

A 07/02 does not have to have a LEO letter to build a machine gun. But they do have to notify ATF by filling out a form 2 when they build one.

This is what I was thinking (& hoping). I am going to build a MG for "R&D" and see what results I get, before jumping in completely (mfg. for sale). I also noticed ITAR has a registration exemption for R&D, and I REALLY don't want to shell out over 2k to see if its something I want to go thru with.

This is what I was thinking (& hoping). I am going to build a MG for "R&D" and see what results I get, before jumping in completely (mfg. for sale). I also noticed ITAR has a registration exemption for R&D, and I REALLY don't want to shell out over 2k to see if its something I want to go thru with.

If you are a 07/02 it would probably be in your best intrest not to rely on gun forums for techinal and legal advice. I'm not trying to be a smart ass but there is a lot of mis-information out there by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Get "The Machine Gun Dealers Bible" by Dan Shea. There is a ton of info in there. Also make ATF.gov your friend.

If you are a 07/02 it would probably be in your best intrest not to rely on gun forums for techinal and legal advice. I'm not trying to be a smart ass but there is a lot of mis-information out there by people who have no idea what they are talking about. Get "The Machine Gun Dealers Bible" by Dan Shea. There is a ton of info in there. Also make ATF.gov your friend.

Absolutely. My 07 is on its way. Im not going 02 SOT until July. MGr's Bible is on my list.

I don't intend on relying on forums for the final word on anything. I know I don't need to tell you, but TGO has some excellent people with lots of good knowledge, even an expert or two around im sure. I am honored to sometime pick their brains. Oftentimes aims me in the right direction if nothing else.

And hire a lawyer.

That bad straight out of the gate, huh?

Edited by adamween