6.8 remington SPC, worth it?

Guest Fuernis

Guest Fuernis

I have been thinking of getting a 6.8 SPC upper for my AR. I was always a bit disappointed with the 5.56 knock down.

I wanted a .308 like an FAL or G3 but cost is preventing that. I can get a new upper for about $450.00.

Has anyone out there used one and is the extra hassle worth the time? I reload so ammo isn’t a huge issue.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had one and got some Silver State Armory ammo. The upper was a good one, Kotonics and it shot well but I could tell little difference between it and the 5.56.

I'm thinking 6.5 Grendel now and owned a 458 SOCOM which I will own again. That thing makes your standard AR lower into a small cannon. Deer capable definitly. Big holes!

Smaller holes are 5.56 and the big one, .458

IMG_2858.jpg

I love mine.

only downside = I don't reload.

still kicking myself, whilst saving for a 5.56 upper to practice with....

Why not a .22 for cheap practice? 5.56 isn't much cheaper than 6.8 unless you're talking Wolf.

Why not a .22 for cheap practice? 5.56 isn't much cheaper than 6.8 unless you're talking Wolf.

dunno...just feels like a pretty big leap, IMHO.

quite a difference between getting back on target with a 6.8 vs. a .22LR, where the sights basically don't even move upon firing?

kind of akin to practicing for CCW with a .22, but packing a .45...

maybe it's just me, but it seems like too much of a difference.

not sure where you're finding your 6.8 ammo, but I'd like to know...:D

cheapest I can currently find 6.8 online is $.84/round. = $16.80 for 20 rounds.

Federal 5.56 FMJ for $.37 = $7.40 for 20 rounds.

pretty big price difference....

Guest JHatmaker

I'm a 6.8 SPC fan myself, just like the fact that it has a little more knock-down power and that it's something different. I'm getting Joe @ Hero-Gear to build one of his Hero-15's in 6.8

Just wish Barrett's 6.8 magazines weren't so damn expensive...

Guest 6.8 AR

It's a more powerful cartridge, but a little more for the ammo. I like my 6.8's a lot and I reload. The parts are on par with a 5.56 if you want to build one. If you're getting one,

make sure you get a 11-12 twist, specII chamber. There are still a lot of 9.5-10 twist

barrels around. They make nice pistols, also.

Guest 5Legion

Knock down? That is why the AR has a 30 round mag! Seriously, 6.8 is more expensive and much, much harder to find. So unless you plan to reload or lay down some serious $, I'd stick with 5.56. Get some 77 grain ammo. Really a lot of experts might disagree with me, but 5.56 is good enough for most of the U.S. military so it's probably good enough for me.

I like 5.56 because I can run 5.56 surplus, .223rem and .22lr (via drop-in bolt conversion) in the same upper. Premium .223 ammo in 68-77gr is perfectly adequete for a gunfight at medium range. As for hunting, I'd expect a good upper in .243WSSM to be perfect for taking deer around here with an AR15.

Guest 6.8 AR

Just another option for the AR platform. To each his own. They are both fine calibers.

Nothing to disagree over. I reload all my 6.8 because of the cost. Most every GI I have let shoot one of mine has been wanting to get their hands on one and would rather use something like it over the 5.56. Cost is one factor, and an 85-90 grain projectile going downrange at close to 3000 fps is a little more knock down power. It isn't the only thing out there, but I like it.

Guest Fuernis

I am looking at this as a good trade off between a battle rifle and an assault rifle. I can buy the upper for a faction of the cost of a new .308 rifle and ballistics are similar. The manual of arms on an AR is second nature after being in the Infantry.

I reload, so while ammo is an issue it has less weight then if I was buying bulk.

Thanks for all of the input.