Glock 17 Gen4 review and range time

Ok. I have been hearing a lot of negative press about the new Gen4 17 with its FTF problems, but I have been wanting a 17 for a while now and decided to go ahead and try it. The main reason is that I have fairly small hands and the Gen4 grip fits so much nicer than the Gen3 for me. I could tell the size difference immediately when I picked it up. The larger mag release was also a plus. Everything else is just nuts and bolts to me and didnt matter as long as it was reliable.

So I picked up the Gen4 17 this morning and went to a local range. First thing I did was take it apart and wipe off all the lube and stuff from the factory. Then applied my own lubricant, put it back together and set up a target.

Target used today was a IDPA paper target. Started at 3 yards and threw five rounds at it. Same thing at 5, 7, 10. 15, 20, and 25 yards. If you are familiar with the IDPA target the center -0 ring is 8 inches in diameter. All shoots were inside the -0 ring even at the 25 yard range. Then fired some more from various distances just playing around.

Not one hiccup today. It performed flawlessly.

My thoughts on the changes:

The new grip size is what won me over so I give that an A+ in my book. I havent even looked at the grip add ons so I can not comment on those.

The new mag release also gets an A+ from me. I never had a problem with the previous mag release and I am not left handed but I think its about time they made this an option and they did a pretty good job in my opinion. Since I have small hands I still have to turn my grip slightly to engage the mag release but its less than before.

The trigger is noticeably a little heavier then my other glocks but it wasnt that bad. Still felt like a glock trgger to me. Read some where that they made a slight change to the connector and this is why the trigger pull is heavier. Who knows, Im not the expert.

The recoil spring and guide rod. Does it make a difference? I dont know. I dont have another 17 to compare it with. I can tell you that there was less felt recoil and it seemed to come back on target a little faster than my 19 but I would say that overall size my be a factor in this.

Ammo shot today was winchester white box 115 grain and blazer 115 grain, both purchased from walmart.

Overall all I am very happy I didnt let all the negative press deter me from buying the new 17. It performed just like my other glocks and you wont hear any complaints from me.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is great news. Now that the 9mm and .40cal Glocks share the same dual recoil spring system the fear was that the 9mm, specifically 115gr ammunition, would have ejection or feeding problems.

Are you planning on putting some JHP through it soon?

I've seen a lot of speculation that the stiffer recoil springs might make the .40 more reliable to the detriment of the 9mm. I'm very interested in one of these so I've scanned Al Gore's entire global interweb and I've not found any actual reports of problems. Thanks for posting! :popcorn:

Guest Katana

I bought one used from a little gun shop outside of Fort Campbell. I've been running WWB 115 grain & Federal Champion 115 grain (and a box of Cor-Bon 115 grain JHP +P) through mine with no problems. I'm starting to wonder if the reported problems were ever actually a problem or just some fluke that got blown out of proportion thanks to the Internet.

I'm in agreement with your review. I personally like the newer "less rough" RTF texture as well. The mag release is a definite improvement, as well.

However, I do not like how flimsy the backstraps are or the way they attach to the grip. I really think Glock could've improved these before releasing the gen 4. It's not a problem for me, as I prefer to not use them, but could be for someone with larger hands than mine.

As far as the heavier trigger, I've not noticed any major difference between it and my old 3rd gen G23. I can still empty a magazine in about 3 seconds and still be "reasonably" accurate.

And as for the new guide rod, I think the new, heavier guide rod helps with the muzzle flip when rapid firing. And it's a nice bonus that it can handle around 20,000 rounds before needing to be replaced (of course, I haven't personally tested that, just going off what I've read there.)

I'm glad I got mine so far. :eek:

Glad yours has been 100% thus far. I've been following the intel on these closely and have read many reports of the Gen4 17's having problems, just going on what I've seen in my own experience shooting lots and lots of rounds through Glocks I've got to say that I agree that the new recoil-assembly is a potential problem. IMO the 9mm's seem to run best with lighter than stock 15lb to 13lb recoil springs, so the new design at somewhere around or north of 20lbs just doesn't jive for me with what I've observed (and not to mention, physics). Factory ammo varies wildly so who knows if you're a weak box or a less than locked wrist away from some issues. For the model, a couple hundred rounds without an issue doesn't say much when the 1st-3rd genderation G17's are probably the most reliable 9mm's on the planet (my most recent 3rd Gen G17 has only 6000+ on it so far, not a hiccup as usual).

Considering the huge buzz abound on Glock releasing these Gen4's, and then seeing the collective Glock fanboy population generally underwhelmed (including me) has got me thinking we're going to see a change real soon... After all, they changed the "fish gills" found on the RTF2's back to the old style serrations just based off people's opinions on not liking their new aesthetics, ignoring that they actually did work better, very un-Glock-like.

I wouldn't worry though, if/when Glock makes any updates (they don't do recalls :eek: at Glock) all it'll take is a phone call and they'll take care of you.