Lever action problem

I picked up a Western Auto Revelation 205 30-30 a week or so ago. I've done some research, and found that my rifle was made for Western Auto by Mossberg, and is the equivalent of a Mossberg 472 PCA.

The problem is with the feed lifter. When cycling the action, the lifter that the shell sits on is not lifting enough the get the round into the chamber. The bolt pushes forward on the cartridge before the bullet is high enough, and the bullet strikes the bottom edge of the chamber and does not go in. With no ammunition, the lifting block appears to be lifting enough, but with the weight of a cartridge on it, it is not.

I did a search, and it seems that this is a common problem. However, I can't find any resolutions to it. I attempted to disassemble and inspect it for myself, and can't figure out how to remove the lever/ lower portion of the action from the receiver.

Any ideas?

There's a plate that covers the bottom of the action from the stock to the front of the receiver. The lever is attached to that plate by a pivot, but that plate is attached to the receiver by two screws. I removed those screws, and it feels like something in the receiver is holding the plate on. There are no pins that I can see going through the receiver.

End of lever on Marlins (only lever guns I have) is what lifts the carrier (cartridge lifter).

Assuming nothing feels like it's binding, and assuming you're getting full lever travel on downstroke, I'm wondering since it's an old gun if lever tip is worn down, or maybe carrier has deep groove worn into underside of it. Or maybe front of carrier has become bent downward?

Martin levers come out if you open action about half way, remove the one screw, and it comes out. Has to be half way open to re-insert, too.

Anyway, thinking maybe you could put a few layers of masking tape or something on tip of lever to build up, hopefully stick on there long enough to see if it raises it. If it did, and if lifter seems okay, could have it built up.

If it's the carrier, maybe bend a little or get groove filled in, if there is one.

Just a thought.

I'm not sure which gun forum would be best to seek further help in.

lever.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
End of lever on Marlins (only lever guns I have) is what lifts the carrier (cartridge lifter).

Assuming nothing feels like it's binding, and assuming you're getting full lever travel on downstroke, I'm wondering since it's an old gun if lever tip is worn down, or maybe carrier has deep groove worn into underside of it. Or maybe front of carrier has become bent downward?

Martin levers come out if you open action about half way, remove the one screw, and it comes out. Has to be half way open to re-insert, too.

Anyway, thinking maybe you could put a few layers of masking tape or something on tip of lever to build up, hopefully stick on there long enough to see if it raises it. If it did, and if lifter seems okay, could have it built up.

If it's the carrier, maybe bend a little or get groove filled in, if there is one.

Just a thought.

I'm not sure which gun forum would be best to seek further help in.

- OS

I was thinking along those lines, just couldn't get the thing apart to check for myself before I posted. Worse case scenario, I can build up any worn areas with a welder and then reshape them as needed.

Sam Hoster fixed exactly that problem for me on exactly the same type 30-30 about 2 years ago Blake. There was a worn spring and another piece not allowing the lifter to operate. Fix was under 30 bucks for parts and labor as I recall.

Cool, I may check with him.

Who dat, pray tell?

Local gunsmith in Gallatin. I believe he builds the Uselton 1911s.

• 4 years later...

Talk about thread resurrections...

But I found this when and I'm having the same issue with my 472 PCA.  It's inconsistent and the shorter the shell the better it feeds.  Almost as if the elevator is delayed in raising as the OP referenced. 

What ended up being the solution to fix it?

Lifters on Marlins get wore on the bottom and cause problems . If it is close to the Marlin 336 there are videos on You Tube showing how to take it apart and then research " The Marlin Jam" and there is info on what to look for . The pictures I am seeing from a search of the 205 , it look just like the Marlin 336. 

• Like 1

Found this on you tube for the 336 Marlin .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOHFJmzBsx4

part available at Numrich

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/WesternAuto-33567/Rifles-42586/205-40160.htm

I have fixed one like this

http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/jams-all-kinds/24519-different-way-fix-marlin-jam.html

And also slightly bent the lifter in an arbor press on another one . Both work fine now.The lifter was back ordered on the one I fixed with the saw blade and I now have the new part but haven't changed it because it works fine .