Teaching Granddaughter About Handguns

I have a 22 year old granddaughter that is being encouraged by her husband and father to take the HCP course and carry a handgun. This young lady has never ever fired a handgun of any kind. She needs to learn the responsibility of and safety with a handgun and how to handle, shoot, clean, etc. a handgun. I do not want her father and husband to take the lead in this training. Her husband is very full of male ego and both, while having HCP's, don't have very much experience with handguns.

I would like for her to learn about handguns and shooting from a qualified individual that she does not know. I believe that having a good instructor that is a stranger would increase her learning intensity and teach her the proper way to handle a pistol/revolver.

I have found a good beginners handgun course for ladies only that sounds like what this young lady needs. I am willing to pay for the course and ammo for my granddaughter. Her husband (supposedly for her) bought a Ruger LCP .380. I would also like for my wife to go through the course with her so she won't feel too intimidated. Her grandmother is laid back and likes to shoot a revolver. She has had two police courses for ladies handgun use, was one of the best shooters in her HCP course (men or women) with her .38 and is no nonsense about safety and handgun responsibility. The granddaughter listens to her and it would instill confidence to have her grandmother there. After this course, then the granddaughter can decide if she wants to go to the HCP class.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is there anything I am missing? What do the ladies on this forum recommend for comfortable hearing protection for a young lady with long hair (I am sure she will put it up in a ponytail)?

I want her to learn about handguns the right way.

Any help is appreciated.

Good Shooting

Superposed

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you have a well-thought out plan there. In most cases, I think having her husband do the teaching is a big mistake. As you say, ego and the "I know all about this" syndrome will rear its ugly head and cause problems. I learned the hard way when I first took my wife shooting. It didn't go too badly, but the tension was there and caused her to feel uncomfortable.I think the best course is exactly what you have outlined for her. Having your wife go with her will sure calm her, if necessary, and give support. A good pair of hearing protectors should be sufficient for her, with foam earplugs as a backup. I haven't bought new ones in quite a while, but most gun shops will have them and so will the sporting stores as well. I wish them well on this trip. Let us know how it goes.

I have a 21-year old cousin moving to Nashville soon and plan to take her to several places and pick a course for her permit as well.

Sounds like a good plan to me. My wife has shot revolver for years when I shoot and has enjoyed it. When she got serious about carrying and getting her HCP she told me she understood why I had been adamant about certain things so a good third party instructor is in order.

Any of the better electronic muff type hearing protection should work. May be the GD should start out with grandma's revolver. Can she handle the slide comfortably in a semi auto?

Thirteen YO granddaughter and grandma left this morning on a road trip. Granddaughter knows that grandma is licensed to legally carry and why she does. Interesting conversation.

Stay safe,

oldogy

Guest Daelith

Does this sound like a good plan? Is there anything I am missing? What do the ladies on this forum recommend for comfortable hearing protection for a young lady with long hair (I am sure she will put it up in a ponytail)?

Having long hair myself, the only comfortable way for me is to pull it back into a ponytail or braid it up out of the way. I found earrings can get a little uncomfortable with the ear protection.

I think you've got a good game plan. Not so sure it was a good idea for her husband to buy her a gun before she's tried a variety. He might discover he just wasted the money if she doesn't like it.

• Moderators

Not so sure it was a good idea for her husband to buy her a gun before she's tried a variety. He might discover he just wasted the money if she doesn't like it.

This.

I made this mistake. Though to be 100% honest, I bought her one I wouldn't mind having which was another error in the equation. Wouldn't surprise me if your GD's husband did the same thing. Your plan sounds spot on to me and one that I wish I had implemented at the outset of introducing my wife to guns.

I certainly agree that my granddaughter's husband probably bought the gun for he himself to end up carrying (remember the extreme male ego). I am going to make sure that the .380 and a .38 Special revolver go to the course with her. I want her to try both and make her own decision which direction (pistol or revolver) she wants to go in. It should be interesting when she sees how well her mid-60's grandmother shoots her handgun.

I am just waiting for the next family get-together. My granddaughter's husband made a comment at a get-together about a year ago that revolvers were outdated, not worth carrying and generally downgraded them. I got my wife a "Wheelguns Are Real Guns" t-shirt to wear at the upcoming family cookout. Maybe a little ego humbling will take place. He doesn't want to compare HCP course targets with her.

(I am certainly not putting down pistols. I wish I knew more about them and their operation. Have a Sig 226 and 10mm Delta Elite myself.)

I appreciate all of the comments and information passed on to date.

Superposed

Guest Daelith

I'm glad you have one of each for her to try. That will be a big help for her determine if she can chamber a round on a semi auto comfortably or not. I always had trouble with the slide on our .380, but none with the 9mm or .45.

I think your plan for your granddaughter is excellent!!! I just hope that her husband will go along with it. I believe that anyone that does not have any real shooting experience should never just go take the HCP class and start carrying. That is an accident waiting to happen.

I took my HCP class many years ago, and I'm not sure if things have changed, but any moron off the street could have passed this class. They went over all the answers to the test before they gave us the test. I think that this state (and all states) should actually make it harder to get a permit. The permit class should be more like a three day class than a one day. They should make the test harder and not give you every single answer right before the test. They should make you shoot a lot more on the range. Basically, you should have to prove that you are 100% familiar with BOTH kinds of guns....semi autos and revolvers....and can shoot both efficiently and safely. They should also make sure you are well informed of all the laws and safe handling procedures before they give you that certificate.

I think you've thought of all the right things for your granddaughter. Taking an instruction class before the HCP class is an awesome thing to do! Letting her shoot both a semi and a revolver is a great idea as well. She should make the choice of what she wants to carry based on knowing how each gun shoots, operates, and feels versus just the looks of it.

The last thing I'll comment on is ear protection. You don't have to spend a lot of money on the electronic type of muffs. I have a cheap $7 pair from Walmart that work wonderfully. I can even wear my earrings with them on as long as they're not the kind that hang down. Second to the muffs, the cheap squishy disposable type are comfortable for backups. Whatever you do, don't buy the non-disposable rubber ear plugs for her. They are not comfortable at all and she will hate wearing them.

Good luck with everything! Please let us know how everything goes! :screwy:

Guest SigGrl

You've obviously given your granddaughter's HCP course a lot of thought. In my case, Buk here on the board is my hubby. I have some performance anxiety and was much more comfortable with him taking me to the range and teaching me than a stranger. Strangers make me REALLY nervous. Then again, he's a very patient and knowledgeable teacher.

I shot quite a lot of guns, before I really found what I liked. The thing that I don't like with the little 380's be it Keltecs, Rugers, Taurus TCPs is there really is no true "aiming" mechanism for them and the sights are terrible. They are really more of a pocket "get off" me, close range pistol. In my HCP class we had to shoot from close range, 5 yds, 10 yds, 15 yds, and 20 yds. In that respect, she might be better off taking the 38 revolver. I just got my first revolver, and I still prefer a semi automatic pistol to the recoil in even those.

I use the electronic Peltor muffs. I have really long hair, and I wear it in a ponytail and leave my earrings and rings off. Good luck, and let us know how she does.

Guest Daelith
I shot quite a lot of guns, before I really found what I liked. The thing that I don't like with the little 380's be it Keltecs, Rugers, Taurus TCPs is there really is no true "aiming" mechanism for them and the sights are terrible. They are really more of a pocket "get off" me, close range pistol. In my HCP class we had to shoot from close range, 5 yds, 10 yds, 15 yds, and 20 yds. In that respect, she might be better off taking the 38 revolver. I just got my first revolver, and I still prefer a semi automatic pistol to the recoil in even those.

I agree with SigGrl on the 380s. Any of the mouse guns for that matter. They are a great carry, especially for some one petite like me. Much easier to conceal. (When I wear my 9mm, I look like I'm either carrying or I have a really strange shaped tumor on my waist.:P) I would advise not trying to take a class with smaller guns. When I first got my KelTec, I put about 50 rounds through it to break it in and my trigger finger hurt for 3 days.

Guest Kntutor

I think you have a great plan. The first time I went to the range, I went with my brother. He taught me everything I needed to know before I took the HCP course. I took the class with my brother, and it was nice to have someone in there I knew.

I think you have a great plan. The first time I went to the range, I went with my brother. He taught me everything I needed to know before I took the HCP course. I took the class with my brother, and it was nice to have someone in there I knew.

Welcome to TGO Kntutor! :)

I agree, he does have a good plan! Sometimes it is nice to have someone you know and are comfortable with show you the ropes first. I think having the grandmother go with her is an excellent idea.

Guest boatme99

Good plan. I have helped a few women get started towards their permits. Generally I find out if they have an interest, then invite them to shoot with me (we shoot right in my yard). I go over the basic safety rules and tell them the basics of how a gun works, both sa and da, then let them choose which of mine they want to try.

After a few rounds, if they are still interested, I try to get them to a class even if they think they won't get a permit.

I never attend the class with them and tell them they will get better and more complete instruction from a professional.

Guess what? So far every women I've tried this with has gotten her permit. :rolleyes:

Also EVERY one has tried to talk me out of my Colt .380! :usa:

Guest 1817ak47

my wife for a while wanted the freedom of getting a hcp, but for a long time cash was tight, but thru good decisions that is no longer hte case. but I demandedly insisted she shoot alot and understand how a firearm works before she even starts the process, to many get hurt by firearms due to lack of knowhow, likely more injury occur because of that not from criminals. now she is past that point and i will make some calls and pay for and arrange the hcp course for her. she really like the bersa 9 HC that I just bought her. and I made sure she shot it enought to be able to hit a reasonable target with good results first. I just bought her the ammo and let here fire away at norris range. but before that I let here shoot my old reliable colt cadet 22 a few hundred rounds per day to get a great feel for handgun shooting and accuracy. I would constantly load mags while she shot constantly.

Superposed,

You're on the right track. Every golf pro I've ever met had this piece of relationship advice: "never try to teach your wife / girlfriend how to play". There's too much stuff floating around unless you're a good teacher, and my guess is that shooting works in a very similar manner. A good teacher can be had affordably, and if she doesn't like it, there's no ego damage to the man ("If I was good, she'd get it"), nor shame for the lady (for "not living up to expectations" as though she should be a crack shot because he loves to shoot).

Cheers to you; I hope your plan works.

Guest 1817ak47

it isn't easy for me to be a firearms trainer for a newbie to someone who doesn't know. that is a more difficult thing for me to teach. good point!