1911's work when drenched in Mud

willis68

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, more like one in a million 1911's work when drenched in mud (or maybe just that one, that's kind of a conservative estimate).:P

Edited by CK1
Im thinking of trying this with my TRS, I will before this summer is over

Now that would be be cool (and at what they cost, would take some huge b**ls).

I will, I have heard like 5 people claim that their Baer's will fire fine after that, I have to see it to believe it, my TRS is super tight and when I do this I will load it with Golden Saber Hollow points, it will be an interesting video to say the least

I will, I have heard like 5 people claim that their Baer's will fire fine after that, I have to see it to believe it, my TRS is super tight and when I do this I will load it with Golden Saber Hollow points, it will be an interesting video to say the least

That's actually a really cool test IMO. I'm WAY guilty of being a nay-sayer on the subject of 1911's being reliable, especially nicer tighter one's, I'd be interested to hear what would happen.

I've seen expensive top-shelf 1911's F'-up at IDPA matches from just about every maker out there many times, but... there is a cat named Bryan who shoots a Baer that I've never seen mess up, and that he swears will even feed empty brass...

I can't believe that anyone would be surprised that a 1911 would work just fine after being submerged in mud. This is a pistol that was designed, built, and tested to be able to function in the worst possible environments. And it has proved in combat for decades that it will do just that.

I can't believe that anyone would be surprised that a 1911 would work just fine after being submerged in mud. This is a pistol that was designed, built, and tested to be able to function in the worst possible environments. And it has proved in combat for decades that it will do just that.

As originally designed and manufactured.

I'd love to see some $2K+, "hand-fitted", "factory-custom", or what have you 1911 drug through the mud and perform. Their tolerances are just a bit tighter.

Wow! I'm definitely sending my Springfield Mil-Spec back to get worked on. Works great till it gets hot and dirty. Then I'll get a warning casing or 2 to the forehead. Then stovepipe or casing stuck facing forward on extractor. Thought my CLP was evaporating, then I tried some high tech grease. OR... Maybe I'll just use a natural lubricant, Bucket-O-Mud. :D

I know. Some people's kids... but, yeah, to original spec is the key.

As originally designed and manufactured.

I'd love to see some $2K+, "hand-fitted", "factory-custom", or what have you 1911 drug through the mud and perform. Their tolerances are just a bit tighter.

The uppity-ups who would buy such a piece would be too worried about their chinos to even get near the mud.

what is the real difference in a mil spec and a non mil spec?

I am assuming it means military?

Generally the tighter they are....the better groups they can shoot.

The downside is on custom guns is they are often stiff and are prone to malfunction if not kept white glove clean. But oh man do they shoot good.

The mil spec ones are loose and less prone to above problems. They are loose enough to where you should be able to throw 4 or 5 completely dissasembled guns into one big box, shake it up, and put them back together without any malfunctions.

Despite the loose tolerences on the mil-spec ones. They still shoot really, really good with respect to the world of pistols.

Guest 10mm4me

The U.S. Gov't didn't just wake up one day and adopt this as their service pistol. They tortured the hell out of this thing. A Mil-Spec 1911 is as reliable as any handgun there is.

But in the vid, the first thing he says is, "Mil-spec Springer." :rolleyes:

Steelharp,

It is a Springer in the Video, A military specification 1911, what I was talking about was doing the same kind of test with my Les Baer TRS, that is the Gun that our friend Jason was referring to