Home defense shotgun question

Steve_cru

I am wanting to build a home defense shotgun and already have a Knox stock for a Remington 870. I also have an 1100 so I don't need to use this for bird/skeet shooting. What would be the best (most cost effective) model to purchase? The express tactical seems to be the best option, but also the most expensive. I look forward to your suggestions and pics.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a NEF Pardner Pump Protector. It is a Norinco/Hawk clone of an 870.

I like it. Cost me just over $200 out the door at Dicks.

However, I have to say that everyone I have talked to about the Knoxx stock had horrible things to say about them. I was looking into one to convince my wife that the gun wasn't mean (she hates my double barrel) but after talking to a dozen folks that all said the risk of putting your thumb back into your eye when the stock moved... Well, I guess my wife can just live with a sore shoulder and two eyes.

Guest mgjohn

Used 870's are generally easy to find, look for a police trade in, may have some finish wear but will not be worn out or shot to death.

Mossburg 500/590's are good too.

Maverick 88's are a desent choice also.

Guest fourspdRAT
I have a NEF Pardner Pump Protector. It is a Norinco/Hawk clone of an 870.

I like it. Cost me just over $200 out the door at Dicks.

However, I have to say that everyone I have talked to about the Knoxx stock had horrible things to say about them. I was looking into one to convince my wife that the gun wasn't mean (she hates my double barrel) but after talking to a dozen folks that all said the risk of putting your thumb back into your eye when the stock moved... Well, I guess my wife can just live with a sore shoulder and two eyes.

I have had no trouble out of my Knoxx stock (SpecOps NRS Shotgun Stock - BLACKHAWK!) on my 870. It also came with a Knoxx foregrip that is wider and longer than the stock 870 foregrip. I really like it.

Guest faust921
Used 870's are generally easy to find, look for a police trade in, may have some finish wear but will not be worn out or shot to death.

Amen. I picked up two 870 police magnums, well broken in. My mother has one that I swapped out for the wing master she was using that is as tall as she is. I have the other. You are getting a better receiver that has been inspected with UV dye and black light to indicate any hairline cracks or fissures in the metal. Some of the internals are better too. The stocks on LE weapons are short to accommodate short stature officers, not bad if you are going to leave it for the Mrs.

Mine had sling attachments but no just a bead sight and no ghost ring. They came from a cop supply place in Lansing MI and I had my pick of 20 shotguns. They might be a little noisy but serviceable. I think I paid about $175 a piece about 8 yrs ago, Spend the difference on a good tactical light.

Guest OttoMaddox
these are my 3 go to shotguns, either will serve you well.

DSC03290.jpg

DSC04622.jpg

All three are real nice but I love the middle one! Is that thing civilian legal?!

these are my 3 go to shotguns, either will serve you well.

DSC03290.jpg

DSC04622.jpg

I only see two......and how long is the bbl on that second one? SBS?

oops, third one didnt load the first time. nice guns!

Edited by fizik
Guest Broomhead

I picked up a gently used 870 Wingmaster with a rifle-sighted 20" deer barrel for 250 from an individual. It only take 2 3/4" shells, but that's all I ever bought for the Mossberg 500 that I previously had. I have modded it until I was content by adding a +4 mag extension and a custom pistol grip. Here are a few pics:

CustomPistolGrip1.jpg

IMG_0001-1.jpg