NRA Annual Meeting

Guest Len

Anyone going to Charlotte for NRA?

I'll be there Thur-Sat. Hoping to get up a full table of Tennesseans at the NRA Foundation Banquet Thursday night.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Free. The major events (dinners, auctions, etc) cost money to get in, but any NRA member can attend for free. Of course, you gotta get yourself to Charlotte, find a place to stay, eat, etc, so it adds up.

I hope Nashville gets back in the rotation once the new convention center opens up. We'll be able to handle NRA with that (if they get their act together and get a convention hotel to go with the new center.)

How much is it ($) to attend anyway? I can't make it this year, but I might next year, depending on where they hold it.
Free. The major events (dinners, auctions, etc) cost money to get in, but any NRA member can attend for free. Of course, you gotta get yourself to Charlotte, find a place to stay, eat, etc, so it adds up.

I hope Nashville gets back in the rotation once the new convention center opens up. We'll be able to handle NRA with that (if they get their act together and get a convention hotel to go with the new center.)

Cool. Well, let us know how it was when you get back, and where they'll be next year. Nashville would be great.

Meetings next year are in Pittsburgh and St. Louis the following year. My wife and I (both NRA members) will be driving over on Thursday; the good news for the drive is that the work on the rock slide at the Tenn/NC border should be completed next week and I 40 re-opened.

Guest milkman

I'm going to Pittsburgh next year, I have friends there, so even if I can't stay with them, I will at least have other things to do.

Billco:

I-40 is open now. 2 lanes eastbound, one lane westbound. Should save you an hour each way -the detour was over 50 miles!

2011 is Pittsburgh -a great town despite what you may have heard. PA is a great pro-gun state and there is much fun to be had in Pittsburgh. (At least there was when I was younger...)

Meetings next year are in Pittsburgh and St. Louis the following year. My wife and I (both NRA members) will be driving over on Thursday; the good news for the drive is that the work on the rock slide at the Tenn/NC border should be completed next week and I 40 re-opened.
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest tarheel78

I went for the Friday/Sat events to NRA.

The Friday afternoon speakers at the Time Warner arena were really good, about 14-15 total. Sarah Palin was the supposed keynote, but she was followed by Ollie North and Chuck Norris. Also notable was Michael Reagan, John Bolton, all rousing speakers that the 9,000 there enjoyed. Chris Cox and LaPierre did a good job of firing up the crowd before the speakers started.

Guns were banned/posted from all NRA venues (Charlotte law, not the NRA). They made you turn in pocket knives at the door and take a receipt. Security supposedly using magnetometers on everyone but it seemed pretty spotty and almost the honor system at times.

The exhibits were outstanding, all the biggies plus some I had not heard of before. Glock had a huge exhibit, plus R. Lee Ermey was there mugging for photos and doing autographs, for Glock.

This was my first NRA convention. It was well done, not to mention having the NASCAR museum next door to the exhibits building!

Guest tarheel78

I think NRA was at Phoenix two years ago, before all the current controversies. It was not lost on a lot of attendees at Charlotte about the ironic weapons ban in all venues (except NASCAR museum, which is not related to the Expo Center rules).