Guest Boomhower

Do you own a Beretta  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own a Beretta

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a blind prejudice against the 92fs that has bled over into my feelings about the company in general. There's no real reason for it, I feel the same way about that square car made by Scion and people who wear Crocs. Other than that, I know some people that are very happy with their Berettas.

Guest EasilyObsessed

My first handgun was a 92fs. 6k+ rounds through it by now and it has never had a single problem. Eats any ammo I give it and is extremely accurate. I will probably be adding a PX4 in 45 when it is available to my collection.

Guest Halfpint

I've shot a handful, considered picking one up a few times for my own but always went with something else. They're a decent-quality handgun, pretty accurate and very reliable . . . just not my preference. I'm interested in the PX4 in .45 when it comes out, though.

Guest Todd@CIS

I've owned several and have been issued several (military).

I don't think I've EVER had a single malfunction with a 92/96 series gun.

It is not my first choice in a defensive handgun (never has been), but it's a worthy option for someone.

Suppressed 92 or 96? That's where the giggles begin :)

Guest Boomhower

I'm just gather information. I was wondering what the feelings were from some of you local guys. I was over on the Beretta forum, and, of course, everyone over there seems to be eat up with Beretta, Beretta, Beretta, anything Beretta, and I knew that we had a diverse group here. I just figured a few of you had one in the safe.

Beretta was the first handgun I shot as an adult. I was in the Air Force and training to be able to use it when I was deployed or during an emergency. I loved the ergonomics of it and the accuracy. I was not a good shot by any means and was able to pass their test with flying colors though the first shot was through the nose of the silhouette.

I bought one as my first carry gun. It was big and bulky and I felt comfortable keeping it on me all day long.

I have only had one problem out of it. It made me want to buy more guns.

My beretta px4 9mm is my first and only gun (for now). Never had any problems with it, just put 400 rounds through it at the range last week with no failures of any kind. Extremely easy to take apart and clean. I am very happy with it.

I owned a Beretta 92F, years ago. It was my favorite pistol for quite a while, and I put nearly a dozen cases of 9mm through it without a problem, until the extractor crapped out. Instead of fixing it I bought an XD... I don't regret getting the XD as its replacement, but I do want another M9, or possibly a PX4.

The basis for criticism of the M9 is just as unfounded as the criticism for the AR, from the military... they are both very capable and efficient weapons which are simply exposed to significant abuse and adverse conditions, and are fed less effective ball ammo in combat. In good working order, in the right hands, and with proper ammo, they are excellent weapons (not very concealable, though).

the first handgun I ever bought was an inox 92fs after about 3 months of research and holding every gun available in my part of TN. i've put about 1600 rounds thru it with no problems. i also have a mini cougar 8045 that is ccw. the only issue with it is that I wasn't the original owner.

my next purchase will be the px4 sub compact, if it ever hits the street. i looked hard at the kimber ultra carry, but the 1911 grip angle just doesn't work well with me for some reason.

but i'm a beretta guy, so my opinion and statements are understandably biased. i think they have the perfect mix of performance, reliability, price, and looks. i like the external safety, aftermarket options, and ease of field maintenance.

Guest Halfpint
The basis for criticism of the M9 is just as unfounded as the criticism for the AR, from the military... they are both very capable and efficient weapons which are simply exposed to significant abuse and adverse conditions, and are fed less effective ball ammo in combat. In good working order, in the right hands, and with proper ammo, they are excellent weapons (not very concealable, though).
Very well said, but allow me to make a point:

It's the ball ammo part that worries me--when you're restricted to ball ammunition, bigger is better. No I'm not military, but I am leaving for Parris Island in a year, soon as I finish college. My sentiments about caliber come from a large group of friends and family who have been in the service and in combat, so it's not just blowing smoke.

Fed hollow-points, 5.56 and 9mm are great rounds. Fed ball ammo? Give me a .45 and a 7.62x51, no question.

Back to the topic at hand, pretty much all military units say the Beretta is rock-solid reliable (cheap lowest-bidder magazines, not so much), they just don't care for the caliber. A review in the most recent issue of Shooting Times sums it up: "The primary reason for [3/7th Cav's]disdain was simply its caliber[.]"

With hollow-points and reliable magazines, a Beretta would be a helluva combat pistol--so, to sum up my thoughts: though a little large, a great carry gun, a great shooter, pretty much a great, well-thought-out, reliable piece overall. Just don't ask me to choose one over a .45 in combat.

I bought a Beretta 92SB back in the 80s. Thousands of rounds through it and absolutely no problems. I still carry it as my primary field pistol.

But I have to disagree about using HP rounds for combat situations.

HPs are great for LE situations or personal protection. They flare when they get into soft tissue. That increases the size of the wound channel and slows the round so it doesn't go through and wound people behind the intended target.

But you want a penetrating round for military use. FMJ does what it should do for that purpose.

• 2 years later...

My screen name should tell you something. Berettas are great guns. I'd put their quality up aginst any maker. I have a full size Cougar .45 and it's an excellent pistol. It's dead-on accurate & I've never had any problems with it.

> Beretta 8045F Cougar (Italian made)

> Ruger SR9 - Olive Drab

> Llama 1911 .45 Cal. - Silver

Have owned several Beretta guns; a 92/96/Cougar 8045-great pistol/ and still have a Desert Storm Commemorative and a 92/96 kit for 9mm/40.

Like and have liked them all--just not my size for carry. Should've kept the 8045.

Currently favor glock 30 and cz Rami 9mm.

Guest Straight Shooter

Just came in from the range today with my USMC Comemmorative M9 Berretta.

Ive put a few thousand rounds thru it now, and its NEVER done anything except go bang, EVERY TIME. And it is very accurate, more so than I or most of you.

Were I to go to war, it would not be my choice of sidearm..that would be a Glock 20 10mm with 180gr. Cor-Bon's...but it is an awesome weapon nontheless and I carry it still. I love the gun.