'This is Alabama; we speak English,' governor candidate says license in english only

Guest 1817ak47

Guest 1817ak47

Amid a national debate over Arizona's tough new immigration law, Republican Alabama gubernatorial candidate Tim James (and son of previous Gov. Fob James) vows in a new campaign ad that if he's elected, he'll give the state driver's license exam only in English, as a cost-saving measure.

"This is Alabama; we speak English," he says in the ad. "If you want to live here, learn it."

It's not clear how James thinks the change would save the state money. Marc Ambinder of the Atlantic says Alabama could actually lose billions of dollars in federal funding if it enacts the measure, and he points to an Alabama political blog that runs down the legal history for why the exams are in multiple languages.

James says he's been attacked by the left for the ad, singling out MSNBC host Rachel Maddow. A writer on her blog called the ad "just plain mean" and argued it was simply pandering to the candidate's conservative base.

"I have come under attack and under assault by a very interesting group of far-left reporters," he said Monday, according to the Birmingham News. He said English exams are a public safety issue, to ensure drivers can read signs. Exams are currently given in Arabic, Chinese, English, Farsi, French, German, Greek, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Thai and Vietnamese, according to AOL News.

— Liz Goodwin is a national affairs writer for Yahoo! News.

'This is Alabama; we speak English,' governor candidate says - Yahoo! News

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 1817ak47

this irritates me that license tests are not in ENGLISH ONLY. all sings are in english and should stay that way. there are business that are in spanish only on the signs, I would hate to be a fire fighter or LEO being told to report to some goofy spanish name that no one can understand

Guest FroggyOne2
'This is Alabama; we speak English,' governor candidate says

Having spent a fair amount of time in Alabama, I can vouch that they do speak a form of English there. :popcorn:

Southern American?

All the states sudden involvement is getting really good. Is New Mexico on tap next, or did I miss something?

I agree. It's good for them to take a firm stand now, before Obama starts in with his immigration reform plans.

I can also say that I know several legal US citizens who are from Mexico, and they all agree that if you can't learn the language of this country then you shouldn't be here.

Guest fourspdRAT
'This is Alabama; we speak English,' governor candidate says

Having spent a fair amount of time in Alabama, I can vouch that they do speak a form of English there. :D

Dern right!

The number of mexicans here that can't speak any english is amazing.

Guest Jamie
I went to Greece once. Sure was glad the signs were in both Greek and English. Was also glad they didn't make me take the drivers exam in Greek. It would have taken me a long time to pass it.

Why were you there? Were you there legally? Did the Greeks want you there?

Makes a difference.

J.

Why were you there? Were you there legally? Did the Greeks want you there?

Makes a difference.

J.

I am not trying to be arbitrary but how does it make a difference? I don't see where the Alabama argument it pointed to the illegal aliens. If I am following the thread correctly, it is just to have the test in English, regardless of a persons reason for being in the US legal or not.

Guest Jamie

It makes a difference because Greece no doubt has bi-lingual signs to help with tourism... a source of income.

Alabama, on the other hand, is fighting being pushed into it by a group of people that want to live there, but can't be bothered to learn English.

So the difference is on the one hand, doing something because it's in your best interest, and on the other, being forced into it whether it's good for you or not, by people you probably don't even want there to begin with.

( Last I heard, learning English was a requirement of gaining citizenship here, though there are other legitimate reasons to be here, at least temporarily. )

J.

this irritates me that license tests are not in ENGLISH ONLY. all sings are in english and should stay that way. there are business that are in spanish only on the signs, I would hate to be a fire fighter or LEO being told to report to some goofy spanish name that no one can understand

Apparently someone can understand the signs or nobody would put them up.

Guest HvyMtl

I agree with BigPoppa, having lived there and had to travel there to work, yes, they have several dialects of english...

Effectively, all traffic and road signs are in English. So, knowing enough to know what "Yield" means is imperative. But, it seems most drivers, English speaking, or not, have difficulty with this word...

Guest abailey362

in the past 2 weeks there have been incidents where drunk mexicans have entered the interstate and killed others in GA because they 1. were driving drunk and 2. neither spoke english, so they couldn't read the directional signs and the do not enter signs.

in 1 wreck a man lost his life and several others were injured. in the other, a mother, her 5 yr old, 3 yr old, and infant were all killed.

this is reason enough for the laws to be passed.

and I'm sure that as soon as these guys get out on bail, they'll make it back to mexico and we'll never hear another thing about it

I went to Greece once. Sure was glad the signs were in both Greek and English. Was also glad they didn't make me take the drivers exam in Greek. It would have taken me a long time to pass it.

English is widely considered to be the international language - most people I know <60 in Europe are fluent in English.

If you were to move to Greece (or any other country), would you expect them to cater to you or would you learn the local language in order to be able to communicate?

If you were to move to Greece (or any other country), would you expect them to cater to you or would you learn the local language in order to be able to communicate?

Exactly. If Mexican nationals were coming to America to spend their money and support us in some way, it might be different.

What we have here, is the equivalent of a leech requesting you to drink more beer so he can catch a free buzz.;)