A Disaster Of Mega Proportions Brewing In Gulf

Guest KarlS

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not the tree-hugger type, but this 210,000 gallon-a-day oil leak in the Gulf of Mexico is disgusting and sad.

I'm actually more than a little shocked at the fact that these companies are not required to implement precautionary measures to prevent something like this from happening.

I know a situation like this is out of the ordinary, but they should have expected the unexpected. They sure as hell make enough money to do so.

Guest db99wj

Bush did it. Well if he was Pres, he would have been blamed for it.

It is very sad, I've heard some say that the sea life could take up to 20 years to recover. We try to get to Destin/Gulf Shores/Orange Beach every year or two. Might not for awhile.

You would think, and maybe there is, measures in place that if the platform is destroyed by fire (this case), or hurricane, or whatever that they are able to cap the well. I would have think that there is, so what happened?

Guest jackdm3

Funny you should say that just as an article came out titled:

"Obama says new oil leases must have safeguards"

What's been going so far, then?!

Bush did it. Well if he was Pres, he would have been blamed for it.

Funny how a President can get blamed for causing a natural disaster like Katrina, but I don't here any reports of people blaming the current President for a man made disaster.

Weird.

Mr. Obama said SWAT teams were being dispatched to the Gulf to investigate oil rigs and said his administration is now working to determine the cause of the disaster.

Why would they send SWAT teams to "investigate"?

Seems like that is out of their area of expertise. They don't seem like the ones that should be investigating anything. Seems like "Defending", or checking to see how well other rigs are secure is more in their area.

Could this have been an "Eco-Terrorist" attack gone wrong? How safely are these rigs secured? Could they be considered a potential target for other terrorist organizations?

Just kind of wondering out loud...

Guest jackdm3

"Because he is the mesiah. Don't forget - Bush hates Black people. Obama can't."

Remember that line from Chris Rock? I think it's quite possible.

Why would they send SWAT teams to "investigate"?

Seems like that is out of their area of expertise. They don't seem like the ones that should be investigating anything. Seems like "Defending", or checking to see how well other rigs are secure is more in their area.

Could this have been an "Eco-Terrorist" attack gone wrong? How safely are these rigs secured? Could they be considered a potential target for other terrorist organizations?

Just kind of wondering out loud...

Doesn't sound like bad hypothesizing.

Guest 6.8 AR
Add to that it occurred on 'Earth Day'... I wouldn't put it past the enviroweenies to lower themselves to the level of common terrorists. Wouldn't be the first time.

Yep, Michael Crichton wrote a good book about the enviroweenies.

"State Of Fear", on climate change and environmental terrorism.

Good book:D

90 days!!!??? To plug a hole?

Shocking isn't it. Given the amount of money involved, and the technology we have these days, it's going to take months before they can even stop the oil flow.

The whole situation pushes me toward...:rolleyes:

I just keep thinking this is somehow based on the arguments over why we do not do more drilling here at home rather than buying our oil from overseas.

Yep, Michael Crichton wrote a good book about the enviroweenies.

"State Of Fear", on climate change and environmental terrorism.

Good book:D

Loved that book. Crichton certainly knew his stuff.

It wouldn't surprise me if some environmentalists were sabotaging oil rigs in order to further their agenda.

Then again, nothing surprises me about the current state of the country.

Add to that it occurred on 'Earth Day'... I wouldn't put it past the enviroweenies to lower themselves to the level of common terrorists. Wouldn't be the first time.

Did a little surfing on the net and found an interesting powerpoint you can download... the first part talks about accidents, but then the bulk after that goes on to talk about Off Shore (and oil fields) security threats, responses and suggestions. Doesn't looks like a private industry assessment.

I want to know which fringe environmental whack unit sabotaged the platform.

Just look at the timing. Nothing has happened on those rigs for years and a few weeks after BHO announces drilling will ramp up and re-open, low and behold, a disaster strikes. This wasn't an active well either....

Maybe someone got their intel screwed up and were just trying to make a small incident and it went way beyond their control.

The first thing that went through my mind when this happened was sabotage. I fully expect that it was sabotage.

Obama is an idiot as we all well know. How many days did it take for him to attempt to be the president when this happened?

Could very well be.

I'm reminded of the Sea Shepherd Foundation.

Or, it could also very well be a terrorist attack. and I mean derka,derka jihad, not a "terrorist act" from tree hugers.

I am supposed to be going to Gulf Shores AL the first week of June. Was going to spend a couple of days offshore fishing. Guess we will have to wait and see how this thing goes I guess. Its just a ****ty situation all the way around.

My family and I were thinking of going the same week. It looks like we will be heading north instead after this "accident".