A Disaster Of Mega Proportions Brewing In Gulf

Guest KarlS

In a quick search I find nothing from any credible news source. It's all conspiricy and bloggers for the most part. I'm puzzled sometimes at complete media silence though. Don't worry, Gibsy will step up to the podium and give it too us straight. :D

This was the best I found and it wasn't anything more than theories.

Did North Korea sabotage Gulf oil rig, and did Obama cover it up?

Yeah, I found alot that explained why this theory was inaccurate. It does make you think though, so I hope they can track down the source of the explosion soon to let us know the truth about what happened, as there is alot of room for :D on this one.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D I Holy Sh*@ batman!! I know these days we all look for truth in media coverage, but this would be something I'd like to see more on. We started doubting media awhile ago so an article like this is hard to hold water. But if it's true... Wow. It would explain some weird things.

It's gonna be something a lot more boring, like they had a blowout, and the preventer failed. Like AR, I don't know much about the petroleum industry other than being aound it some. I was in Houston for a few years, and it's bar talk there.

Guest 6.8 AR

I looked at Pravda and Guardian. Couldn't find anything, yet. I'm

not going to discount that story. Did you look at the Raleigh story

on your link? There may be something to this. It's not necessarily

tinfoil. I would expect a news blackout on this, wouldn't like it

though. There was a problem with N.Korea recently.

I don't know squat about the petroleum industry. My brother was a state geologist for oil and gas in TN. There are several producing and test wells in TN. Interesting stuff. I got to see a few of them. There are lots of safety

devices in the business, but still, stuff happens, just like

driving down the road.

Saying "stuff happens" is the best way to get offshore drilling shut down for good. The question is going to be asked, "How you you prevent this from ever happening again?". Good luck won't be an acceptable solution.

We will eventually know all the answers. They are going to bring the BOP to the surface if they can ever stop the flow.

Guest 6.8 AR

Can you say "Catastrophic failure"? Stuff does happen.

It's called learning the hard way. If, in fact the Blowout

preventer did fail, and we are just speculating this, it has

happened before, and improvements have evolved because

of it. "Stuff happens" has nothing to do with luck, but the

possibility of a design flaw or an unforseen event. It happens

every day. I hope the leak gets repaired quickly and they

get to the root cause of the problem so it can be prevented.

Speculation and blame can be destructive. It's also why there

are so many classifications of professional engineers.

I'm confident they will sort it out. :rofl:

Edited by 6.8 AR
Can you say "Catastrophic failure"? Stuff does happen.

It's called learning the hard way. If, in fact the Blowout

preventer did fail, and we are just speculating this, it has

happened before, and improvements have evolved because

of it. "Stuff happens" has nothing to do with luck, but the

possibility of a design flaw or an unforseen event. It happens

every day. I hope the leak gets repaired quickly and they

get to the root cause of the problem so it can be prevented.

Speculation and blame can be destructive. It's also why there

are so many classifications of professional engineers.

I'm confident they will sort it out. ;)

We're not speculating. The blowout preventer failed. That is BP's story, and has been their focus. I probably could have worded my last post better. The BOP designs have been around since to '20's. Failures are pretty common (see the link in post 137).

I have no doubt that they will come up with better engineering if they want to drill anywhere near our shores. The Gov is not going to buy into

"oops it failed, but it's unlikely to happen again".

Granted, I'm really pissed (somewhat irrational :rofl:) about the destruction of the Gulf Coast. You don't have to be a tree hugger to be pissed about a 20 year recovery of the oyster beds. For me, it's not even so much about the wildlife. It is going to devastate the economy down there. Sure, stuff happens, but so does greed, lack of foresight, and noncompliance. The investigation will tell us where this situation falls.

I've just started digging through the CFR's, because personally, I want more answers. I don't like speculation any more than you do. If it makes you feel any better, I wanted to slap the picture of the Sierra Club idiot after his written commentary yesterday. ;)

How about we dig into the Haliburton connection? They always seem to be in the "wrong" place at the right time.

Were they anywhere near this? The BOF stack was manufactured by a Houston based company. Actually the guys that held the original patent in the '20's. Their engineers have been working with BP since the BOF fault was discovered.

If there is a smoking gun, it's probably going to be the government report on the high failure rate of current BOF technology in the field. A lot of that report is classified. So, it's more likely friends of Haliburton :rofl:

Don't slap me again AR. I was joking... promise ;)

Forget N. Korea. How about we dig into the Haliburton connection? They always seem to be in the "wrong" place at the right time.

It's because Haliburton is everywhere. If money can be made doing something, Haliburton seems to do it...

Guest 6.8 AR

Halliburton has been working in the oil fields for a long time. They used to be all over the plateau. Maybe they still are. This one's hilarious.

I know everyone wants answers, Mike, and I'm not happy with the damage that's going to happen, either. It will take a long time to clean up and it will cost a fortune.

Halliburton has been working in the oil fields for a long time. They used to be all over the plateau. Maybe they still are. This one's hilarious.

I know everyone wants answers, Mike, and I'm not happy with the damage that's going to happen, either. It will take a long time to clean up and it will cost a fortune.

At least the administration is not getting stupid about it. They may be Liberals, but they're not tofu eatin' liberals :rofl:. They aren't pointing any fingers yet I really AM hoping that this was an unpreventable catastrophic failure.

Guest KarlS

If you can take anything positive out of this spill it could be this.

WASHINGTON - A historic environmental protection bill is in danger after a massive oil spill put a new focus on the perils of offshore drilling, a feature that was supposed to win wider support for the legislation.

The bill, supported by President Barack Obama, calls for new offshore drilling — a concession by environmentalists. But with the tragedy off the Gulf Coast growing daily, even conservationists who have waited a decade for the legislation are now saying it will fail if offshore drilling remains in the bill.

Read entire article Gulf spill may imperil climate bill - Climate Change- msnbc.com

Guest 6.8 AR

It would be fine with me if they don't pass any legislation for the next decade, but that would be optimistic.

Guest jackdm3

I was away all weekend to Arkansas for my wife's uncle's funeral. Didn't know if anybody posted the process of dispersants, the 40 foot canopy and whether or not this was a helpful process.

We're still waking up from the surreal nature of this particular funeral. I never saw most everyone pull over to the side of the road for 15 or more miles with our train of headlights. The best I ever saw was maybe up to 5 miles. Over 400 people signed the book in the first 2 hours on the night of the viewing. Apparently, he was a big deal.

The containment chamber scheme may work. Should know by Friday

BP to try unprecedented engineering feat to stop oil spill - CNN.com

We can only hope. Really IS sort of like Bruce Willis should show up to coordinate it.

Sounds relatively simple in theory, except for the enormous proportions and weight of the thing, and the depth it has to go.

Hell, maybe it'll be heavy enough to get enough of a seal on the seabed to just serve as a giant cap for a while, even if they can't pump the oil up.

Course, that might just make the other two leaks speed up until they do the same on them.

- OS

We can only hope. Really IS sort of like Bruce Willis should show up to coordinate it.

Sounds relatively simple in theory, except for the enormous proportions and weight of the thing, and the depth it has to go.

Hell, maybe it'll be heavy enough to get enough of a seal on the seabed to just serve as a giant cap for a while, even if they can't pump the oil up.

Course, that might just make the other two leaks speed up until they do the same on them.

- OS

The pumping should be the easy part. They could wind up reducing the flow by around 80%, so if it works, it will end a lot of the panic

Edited by mikegideon
Duh. Misread os post