Mythbusters 9mm vs 45

Guest rockbottom12

I m not going to get into it but I was shot with a 45 ACP a few decades ago. It was a FMJ that struck me in the lower leg. It didn't incapacitate me, as a matter of fact I hadn't realized I had been hit for several minutes. It didn't hit bone and left a nice neat entrance as well as a nice neat exit would, looked like a cigar burn the next day. No more than a trickle of blood until the doctors got a hold of me :biglol:. I had been walking around when I realized I had been hit. I was able to walk without the use of crutches and was back to running regularly within a few weeks. It never felt worse than a mild muscle cramp and I liken the immediate effects to having a firecracker go off in your hand, more of a numbing effect than painful. The worst part of the whole deal was the dressing changes 3x daily for a few weeks.

Not saying anything else would have done any better or any worse but every round's performance is dependent more on where it strikes than what it strikes with.

With that being said, people need to carry what they feel comfortable carrying and can shoot well. I have seen people buy the biggest baddest gun only to leave it at home all the time because it is uncomfortable to carry. This does no good because you will not have it when you need it. A hit to a critical area is going to cause a system failure whether it is 9mm or 45 ACP.

Dolomite

What you see on Mythbusters is not science -- it's entertainment. Their data usually doesn't support their conclusions. When they tell you the truth it's because they guessed right.

Guest 1817ak47
I m not going to get into it but I was shot with a 45 ACP a few decades ago. It was a FMJ that struck me in the lower leg. It didn't incapacitate me, as a matter of fact I hadn't realized I had been hit for several minutes. It didn't hit bone and left a nice neat entrance as well as a nice neat exit would, looked like a cigar burn the next day. No more than a trickle of blood until the doctors got a hold of me :D. I had been walking around when I realized I had been hit. I was able to walk without the use of crutches and was back to running regularly within a few weeks. It never felt worse than a mild muscle cramp and I liken the immediate effects to having a firecracker go off in your hand, more of a numbing effect than painful. The worst part of the whole deal was the dressing changes 3x daily for a few weeks.

good story and thanks for sharing. this really tells alot about hte importance of choosing correct ammo and not fmj. now my SHTF staff is most fmj due to lack of funds to buy excessive quanitys of 9mm hp's

I m not going to get into it but I was shot with a 45 ACP a few decades ago. It was a FMJ that struck me in the lower leg. It didn't incapacitate me, as a matter of fact I hadn't realized I had been hit for several minutes. It didn't hit bone and left a nice neat entrance as well as a nice neat exit would, looked like a cigar burn the next day. No more than a trickle of blood until the doctors got a hold of me :D. I had been walking around when I realized I had been hit. I was able to walk without the use of crutches and was back to running regularly within a few weeks. It never felt worse than a mild muscle cramp and I liken the immediate effects to having a firecracker go off in your hand, more of a numbing effect than painful. The worst part of the whole deal was the dressing changes 3x daily for a few weeks.

Man...there wouldn't be a day I didn't think the maker that he lined up the stars just right for me if I were in that situation. Great story - Thanks for sharing

Man...there wouldn't be a day I didn't think the maker that he lined up the stars just right for me if I were in that situation. Great story - Thanks for sharing

And wrap you mind around this. Since then I have had a number of really close calls.

One was overseas when if I had been where I was supposed to be I wouldn't be typing this. I left a post to go check on some indig guys, never did it before but that night I did for whatever reason. While I was away a rocket peppered the place I would have been. I definitely would have been hit and judging by the size of the holes and their location it would have more than likely been fatal.

Step forward about a year and a half and I am on my way home from another one of my gigs. I was in a helo accident in the middle of "indian" country. Spent 4 hours waiting on SAR before I was able to get out. What should have taken 3-4 hours took well over eight to get where I needed to be. I was treated locally but they felt I would get better treatment if I was able to make it back to the US. I made it home a few days after that and haven't been the same since. Severe nerve damage as well as some other damage in my back because of the accident. If it wasn't for my wife and son I would have lost it a long time ago.

I have plenty of other close calls both stateside as well as overseas. I just run with it because it is part of life and I am the one who chose to do what I do.

It does seem to follow me though and has for a very long time. Now whether it is bad luck for happening or good luck for surviving I don't know.

Dolomite

• Like 1
  • 6 years later...

I really dont pay any attention with bullets VS anything like wood , waterjugs , tile .. I do watch ballistic gel tests with denim ...

But still that just gives you a "Idea" how a bullet reacts at certain velocity ..

Living flesh and bones will react differently .. You have tons of variables ....

Bad guy ,size , angle , what they are wearing ,are they on drugs ..

To stop a evil bad guy with a firearm .. You have to interrupt blood and oxygen flow to the brain.To stop the function of the central nervous system ..shot placement toward the heart and lungs.. Your brain or CNS needs blood flow to bring oxygen so if you interrupt this process ... Threat stops... A head shot or upper cervical shot will do it also..

With the right ammo the 357 mag and 10mm is the top of the heap in self defense carry options ...hands down..

To me the others choices dont have the shock and awe to the human body..

Myself when comparing the 45acp and the 9mm .. They are a bunch of variables  . Being handgun platform , ammo and ability of the shooter..

But in the right trained hands the 45acp wins ..everytime 

Bigger heavier bullet that it designed to operate at a certain velocity ,  its gonna work ..

I put the 40 S&W over the 9mm and tbe 357 sig  ,, in trained hands right ammo and platform..

My dad told me a fishing story that has an application here.  He had purchased a new fancy rod and reel and loaded it with good, sturdy line.  He selected a proper hook for the size of fish he was hoping to get and a good assortment of tantalizing bait.  He waded into the river and fished for approximately two hours with no bites at all.  Then along came a young Mexican boy with a bamboo pole and plastic bobber.  He tossed his hook into the water about ten feet away from where Dad was and pulled out a whopper within 30 seconds.  

Whether it be fishing, defensive shooting or building a successful business, the old adage still goes:  Location, location, location.