Bug Out Discussion

Guest 10mm4me

Guest 10mm4me

This flood has opened my eyes to how woefully unprepared I was in the case of an emergency. I have all the supplies and tools but they were in various states of togetherness. If SHTF for real I would be sweatin to get out of Dodge to my secret lair. I spent today making sure that this doesn't happen twice. Ultimately, you can never carry everything you need and off-site storage is a necessity. Thoughts and opinions welcome. Is anyone here into long term food storage? Any info, links, suggestions on this topic is greatly welcome.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me
You cannot be prepared for every situation. Stay armed, stay happy.:rolleyes:

Oh I am always armed. But I don't wanna starve. I will rely alot on hunting and gardening, but that will be exhausted pretty quickly if it ever comes to that.

This flood has opened my eyes to how woefully unprepared I was in the case of an emergency. I have all the supplies and tools but they were in various states of togetherness. If SHTF for real I would be sweatin to get out of Dodge to my secret lair. I spent today making sure that this doesn't happen twice. Ultimately, you can never carry everything you need and off-site storage is a necessity. Thoughts and opinions welcome. Is anyone here into long term food storage? Any info, links, suggestions on this topic is greatly welcome.

I store food and water to last a long time. Get a good vacuum sealer and some food grade buckets. Spend some time here: http://www.whenshtf.com (not sure why its down right now.... SHTF maybe?)

Here are some good resources:

Edited by TNTitan
You cannot be prepared for every situation. Stay armed, stay happy.:tough:

Reminds me of a conversation with one of the gun salesmen at Bass Pro. He has some food hoarding, anti-gun neighbors. They commented that they couldn't understand why he wasn't hoarding food for when the SHTF. His response was, "I have a bunch of guns, and I know where the food is" :P

This has made me think more seriously about a simple "Get Home Bag" for the truck I must admit.

This is kinda the thing I've been putting together ever since I got my truck last year. It's an extended cab truck with compartments under those uncomfortable back seat pad things, and I've been putting general things that I would need in certain situations in those compartments.

Guest redbarron06
Oh I am always armed. But I don't wanna starve. I will rely alot on hunting and gardening, but that will be exhausted pretty quickly if it ever comes to that.

When most folks think hunting they think large animals like deer. While that is fine in a real SHTF situation unless you have the time and knowledge to preserve something that size most of it will go to waste. Compairing the time and energy involved in hunting, cleaning, and preserving an animal of that size it is really counter productive when smaller creatures are very abundnat. Squirrles, rabbits, and yes raccoons and possums are food sources. These can all be easlily trapped and spending 2 or 3 hours a day running trap lines can produce plenty of food to feed a family of 4 for a couple of days with minimum waste. Smaller animals (because there are more of them) are less likley to respond to hunting preasure as fast as say the deer population would. Also remimber fishing and trapping and snaring birds can be very productive also.

When most folks think hunting they think large animals like deer. While that is fine in a real SHTF situation unless you have the time and knowledge to preserve something that size most of it will go to waste. Compairing the time and energy involved in hunting, cleaning, and preserving an animal of that size it is really counter productive when smaller creatures are very abundnat. Squirrles, rabbits, and yes raccoons and possums are food sources. These can all be easlily trapped and spending 2 or 3 hours a day running trap lines can produce plenty of food to feed a family of 4 for a couple of days with minimum waste. Smaller animals (because there are more of them) are less likley to respond to hunting preasure as fast as say the deer population would. Also remimber fishing and trapping and snaring birds can be very productive also.

Yep. I draw the line at cats (unless i have a chinese guy wth me) :tough:

Don't know if I can ever bring myself to eat a possum. The rest I already hunt and eat regularly. Turkeys and doves, and other small wildlife will also be on the menu. The best thing that will ease some of the time that goes into hunting in a SHTF situation is that we most likely wont have to follow any rules and regulations, but as you mentioned hunting larger animals like deer will be an extreme waste of meat in most situations. The only time we should be hunting the larger animals would be if we are feeding several people at once, or in the winter where it will be easier to preserve the meat if we have no power.

Guest redbarron06
Don't know if I can ever bring myself to eat a possum. The rest I already hunt and eat regularly. Turkeys and doves, and other small wildlife will also be on the menu. The best thing that will ease some of the time that goes into hunting in a SHTF situation is that we most likely wont have to follow any rules and regulations, but as you mentioned hunting larger animals like deer will be an extreme waste of meat in most situations. The only time we should be hunting the larger animals would be if we are feeding several people at once, or in the winter where it will be easier to preserve the meat if we have no power.

If it ment keeping my family alive I could eat possum or even another person. I would not kill a person to eat them but if they are already dead and the meat is not spoiled, its whats for dinner. It would not be my first choice but neither would being in that situation. You got to do what you got to do.

If it ment keeping my family alive I could eat possum or even another person....

I've not eaten "long pork", but it's probably better than possum, which I have eaten.

Now, get yourself a whistle pig, and you've got yourself a meal!

- OS

If it ment keeping my family alive I could eat possum or even another person. I would not kill a person to eat them but if they are already dead and the meat is not spoiled, its whats for dinner. It would not be my first choice but neither would being in that situation. You got to do what you got to do.

Yup, if you've ever seen any of my other SHTF posts you would know that people are on my menu as well once the animal population is gone. ;) Not saying I wouldn't eat a possum, I just really hate to think of having to do it. Hopefully armadillos will completely take over here by then. I'd rather eat them if that's what it comes down to.

...Hopefully armadillos will completely take over here by then. I'd rather eat them if that's what it comes down to.

Hoover Hogs. Kept a lot of bellies full during the depression.

In the Appalachians, whistle pigs were the Sunday roast. Really.

They are actually very lean, pretty much like huge squirrel. Most all that fat comes off with the skin. If you're going to pot roast one, best to scrape some back off and add back in.

Possums, though, are fat marbled with meat.

- OS

This has made me think more seriously about a simple "Get Home Bag" for the truck I must admit.

Been carrying one of them for years. Stick some Laffy Taffy in it. Nothing boosts morale like that stuff. And it last for decades in a piece of tupperware.

Guest Joey
Yup, if you've ever seen any of my other SHTF posts you would know that people are on my menu as well once the animal population is gone. :D

Wow, whenever TSHTF I hope you're nowhere around me! :D

Still, cannibalism could lead to some rather odd hunting tactics:

Anyone_Hungry886.jpg

Guest jackdm3

Many times I've thought about that and I think I would go straight to the thigh. Probably be a lot like a roast to be cooked slowly if you have the time.