Bug Out Discussion

Guest 10mm4me

speaking of "get home bag" what about a seat belt cutter. Keep it close to you. It is safer than a knife. you can use it in the dark upside down without sticking yourself. something like Benchmade Strap Cutter Carabineer Black you never know when you'll have a wreck and be trapped by your seat belt. Getting to you knife on your belt may be tough. A seat belt cutter hanging from you dash would be real handy.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest redbarron06
speaking of "get home bag" what about a seat belt cutter. Keep it close to you. It is safer than a knife. you can use it in the dark upside down without sticking yourself. something like Benchmade Strap Cutter Carabineer Black you never know when you'll have a wreck and be trapped by your seat belt. Getting to you knife on your belt may be tough. A seat belt cutter hanging from you dash would be real handy.

I keep one in my car and one in the truck just in case. Mine is made by Onterio knife

Wow, whenever TSHTF I hope you're nowhere around me! :P

Still, cannibalism could lead to some rather odd hunting tactics:

Just mention that you're on TGO and I wont eat you, and hopefully I wont have to eat anyone that I know. Strangers on the other hand are fair game, and as far as hunting tactics I've mentioned hunting over a baited area before as far as people go. Since there will be people stealing livestock and crops, simply keep one good cow and tie it up out in a field. When people come to steal it, you can save the cow and have the people for dinner.

I really worry that I may be thinking about this stuff too much. :P

Just mention that you're on TGO and I wont eat you, and hopefully I wont have to eat anyone that I know. Strangers on the other hand are fair game, and as far as hunting tactics I've mentioned hunting over a baited area before as far as people go. Since there will be people stealing livestock and crops, simply keep one good cow and tie it up out in a field. When people come to steal it, you can save the cow and have the people for dinner.

I really worry that I may be thinking about this stuff too much. :P

Just another added value to owning a "TGO" hat. :P

Hat nothing! I'm getting a very large TGO tattoo on my most meaty parts!:D

How about a list of things to put in a "get home" bag? I live 25 miles from where I work, so I'm thinking if the roads were shut down to walk that far would require comfy shoes, water, energy bars, and clothes to fit the season, small basic first aid kit, I'm assuming we all would have our carry gun and at least a reload for it. What else would you want?

Edited by gunsablazin
Guest SUNTZU
How about a list of things to put in a "get home" bag? I live 25 miles from where I work, so I'm thinking if the roads were shut down to walk that far would require comfy shoes, water, energy bars, and clothes to fit the season, small basic first aid kit, I'm assuming we all would have our carry gun and at least a reload for it. What else would you want?

Tarp, preferably silicon impregnated but cheap blue will do

Paracord - 100'

Flashlight w/ spare batteries

Bic Lighter/swedish firesteel as a backup

Trioxane

Water bottle/Camelback

Water Filter (this can be combined with water bottle, but not as effective at cleaning water)

Cash - At least $20 in ones and fives, more if possible

Calling Card

Boresnake/small bottle of CLP

Map/Compass and know how to use one

FAK - There's booboos then there's blow outs

Spare prescription meds - might be a long walk home to your blood pressure meds. Also Aleve, Aspirin, Benadryl - couple pills each

Thumb drive with scanned documents of SS#, Passport, Insurance forms, etc.

Emergency rain gear

Fox 40 whistle

Propel packets for water bottle

Instant Coffee for pickmeup

I carry a small stove (Pocket Rocket) w/ fuel and a large messkit cup. I also have heavy duty aluminum foil to use as a wind screen for the stove.

Just some ideas.

Paracord - 100'

Trioxane

Water bottle/Camelback

Water Filter (this can be combined with water bottle, but not as effective at cleaning water)

Calling Card

Spare prescription meds - might be a long walk home to your blood pressure meds. Also Aleve, Aspirin, Benadryl - couple pills each

Emergency rain gear

Fox 40 whistle

I carry a small stove (Pocket Rocket) w/ fuel and a large messkit cup. I also have heavy duty aluminum foil to use as a wind screen for the stove.

Just some ideas.

Some of those that alot of people wouldn't really think about, like the boresnake and CLP, but if you have to wade through muddy water or any number of other situations where you would need to clean your firearm before you use it, I don't think just digging out the mud with a stick will be good enough.

A good water filter setup would definately be one of my concerns. If you're having to abandon your vehicle, especially in a case such as flooding, you may come to a spot where you can't go any further if the water is all around you, and just have to settle in on the highest ground you can find. In this case, you will definately run out of drinking water, as flood waters will definately need to be filtered before drinking. Also those water tight boxes at Wally World come in handy for storing things that you don't want to get wet. Items in your bag that don't need to get wet can be kept in them, and then when you have to head out you can put your wallet and phone or whatever in there as well.

I really worry that I may be thinking about this stuff too much. ;)

I have some neighbors who are liberals, I should start having them over for dinner to fatten them up... hmmm....

thanks, SUNTZU,

That is a pretty good list, most of those items are light, and traveling light would be important. Being creative is important too, if you forgot the boresnake and CLP you could make do with a shoe string and piece of gauze,t shirt etc. and if there are cars around you can oil a gun off a dip stick. This has got me thinking though, I've kept a bag in my trunk for years, I need to change it to a day pack. I'll start tonight getting it together, and see what I have and what it ultimately weighs. I think the tarp and rain gear could could be the interchangeable, to save weight. Not picking nits here, but I'm 46, and while in pretty good shape, a 25 mile hike would be a long walk. I learned from hiking in the days of my youth that an ounce can turn into a pound on long hike.

Guest jackdm3
Be careful though. If they exercise a lot, the meat will be pretty tough.

You're helping me narrow the targets to the thighs of the "bonus" size. Any more tasty selections?

Guest SUNTZU
thanks, SUNTZU,

That is a pretty good list, most of those items are light, and traveling light would be important. Being creative is important too, if you forgot the boresnake and CLP you could make do with a shoe string and piece of gauze,t shirt etc. and if there are cars around you can oil a gun off a dip stick. This has got me thinking though, I've kept a bag in my trunk for years, I need to change it to a day pack. I'll start tonight getting it together, and see what I have and what it ultimately weighs. I think the tarp and rain gear could could be the interchangeable, to save weight. Not picking nits here, but I'm 46, and while in pretty good shape, a 25 mile hike would be a long walk. I learned from hiking in the days of my youth that an ounce can turn into a pound on long hike.

That's why I prefer the silicon impregnated tarp. Its 8' x 10' and compresses down to fit into a one liter Nalgene bottle, and is lightweight. Rain gear has changed to an emergency poncho, though I do keep my milsurp poncho in the truck.

• 1 month later...
thanks, SUNTZU,

Not picking nits here, but I'm 46, and while in pretty good shape, a 25 mile hike would be a long walk. I learned from hiking in the days of my youth that an ounce can turn into a pound on long hike.

yeah, but it only hurts till your legs go numb..after that you can hump all day!

if you want to get fancy, you can take a pain killer...but it still takes about 20 or 30 minutes till my legs go numb.

Not picking nits here, but I'm 46, and while in pretty good shape, a 25 mile hike would be a long walk. I learned from hiking in the days of my youth that an ounce can turn into a pound on long hike.

I would have a VERY long walk to get home from work. In an extreme situation, I would probably attempt to commandeer a riding animal (unless they have already bugged out, too). I used to have horses, and the fields are full of them along my route to work. If I could avoid being shot by the owner, "borrowing" a horse might make the difference in me getting home to my family.

Paracord - 100'

Trioxane

Water bottle/Camelback

Calling Card

Emergency rain gear

Fox 40 whistle

Just some ideas.

That's a good list. I also keep a sharping stone so I can keep my knife sharp under heavy use. In a pinch, the tarp or rain gear can also be used in hot weather to gather condensation if water is hard to find.

Guest SUNTZU

I've looked at the Walmart filter. I'd hate to find out that the cheapest isn't the best when I start looking like a two ended fountain and zombies are chasing me. Try to spring for quality gear when it comes to life saving stuff is my motto. Get the cheap tarp instead of the $80 silicon impregnated tarp. That is not as vital as clean water. Just a thought.

I would have a VERY long walk to get home from work. In an extreme situation, I would probably attempt to commandeer a riding animal (unless they have already bugged out, too). I used to have horses, and the fields are full of them along my route to work. If I could avoid being shot by the owner, "borrowing" a horse might make the difference in me getting home to my family.

This solves all the problems mentioned in this thread: Transportation, Walmart, & Food

1249.jpg

This is an interesting thread as this is something I've been thinking about for quite a while now. It's been in the back of my mind for years now (at least since 9/11) and has been more prominent with the tornadoes in Murfreesboro on Good Friday (2009); when the tornado passed withing a mile of my house and especially with the flooding in May. I suppose I haven't done much about it yet, however, because I haven't been sure "where" or "how" to start!

I am not someone who thinks the sky is going to fall (commies invade, etc. etc.) but I think we all know that "bad" things can and do happen; whether they are natural disasters or man-made ones.

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Administrator
This has made me think more seriously about a simple "Get Home Bag" for the truck I must admit.

In reality this is what the vast majority of people really need. Getting home is much more likely than getting out of Dodge, for a variety of reasons.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I need a "Get Home Bag"... But I have a Mitz Eclipse, so IDK if I will be going anywhere in really bad weather. Although it does do really well in snow.