Bug Out Location

After reading the "Bug Out Discussion" thread, I have my own question. If something happened, aka SHTF, how far away is your "safe" location? I have been preparing a location but it's fairly close, about 30 mins or so. If it does go bad, I figure my other location would go bad too...so the question is, how far away are you preparing to go?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mosinon

I've got land about 8 hours away. So if TSHTF, I could hole up there. Sure, it is a long way but these things don't happen all at once in TN.

Still the SHTF scarenario worries me. While everyone else will be shooting zombies and such the first things I'll have to shoot is my in laws.

Guest Joey
While everyone else will be shooting zombies and such the first things I'll have to shoot is my in laws.

lol. :cry:

I hear you.

in and around metropolitan areas will be over run with looters and hoards. I am making arrangements to be as far away from one as possible amongst like minded individuals. It may take several days of walking but we will get there.

As was previously stated, if this is a man made occurrence likely we will see it coming and have time to go. If this is a natural disaster (Tornado, Earth Quake, Flood) then the first thing is to hunker down until some sort of "order" is returned as far as roads being somewhat passable. Then get to the safe house.

Guest redbarron06

our plan is to bug in unless we have to get out of Dodge...

Same here. I hold the high ground on familure terrain. Unless I have to, why leave.

All this flooding let me know that the location I normally plan to head to will be out of the question, unless I get there before things start getting bad. For this situation my home seemed to be the best location, because other than the rain that was falling, I only had the normal run off from the yard and didn't see anything else that would look like flooding around the house.

Sure would have been nice to spend the weekend at my safe location though, because after Saturday night there was no way in and no way out. I bet it would have been nice and peaceful knowing that no one could get to where I was.

Guest bart_p

I find myself in quite the predicament when I ponder on the whole "bug-out" thing. I have pretty much everything I could need to bug out and be comfortable, but I have to worry about keeping my nine month old son with and that's where the problem lies. I am quite at home in the woods living the minimalist life with no tent or sleeping bag of any kind (which aids in keeping things very light), but with my son still being at such a fragile age I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place in that I can't exactly bug-out as I have always prepared for. I am just seriously hoping that if it is going to hit the fan that it waits for a few years.

Bart

I find myself in quite the predicament when I ponder on the whole "bug-out" thing. I have pretty much everything I could need to bug out and be comfortable, but I have to worry about keeping my nine month old son with and that's where the problem lies. I am quite at home in the woods living the minimalist life with no tent or sleeping bag of any kind (which aids in keeping things very light), but with my son still being at such a fragile age I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place in that I can't exactly bug-out as I have always prepared for. I am just seriously hoping that if it is going to hit the fan that it waits for a few years.

Bart

Never underestimate your abilities though, because in a SHTF situation I'm sure you would find a way. You simply have to keep your child in mind when choosing your safe location, as well as who can go with you if the SHTF so that you can have some help looking out for the child while you go out in search of food or other needs.

Guest ADAM

I guess my location would be my house. I live on top of a ridge and during a natural disaster such as a flood Im safe being that if the flood waters hit my house everyone elses house and people are pretty much gone and as for tornadoes or other major winds I have an old cave about 300 yards from the house that has 3 rooms in it about 50ftx50ft and the opening is about 3ftx3ft. And as far as war or something of that nature I think Im fairly safe for I have a 360 degree view of everything coming towards me.

I find myself in quite the predicament when I ponder on the whole "bug-out" thing.... but with my son still being at such a fragile age I am kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place in that I can't exactly bug-out as I have always prepared for.

I hear you. I have a son that is insulin dependent. Though we keep a few months on hand... it has to be kept cold. Then there are the test strips, needles, pen caps, gluc tablets, etc. that goes along with it. Can't "fake" insulin.

We lost power for just a day and by the third hour my wife was already starting to worry about the extra insulin in the fridge. Though it was fine she couldn't help but let her mind run with her. "What if no power for 2 days, 3, days a week?" etc.

I guess guys like us, I hate to say it but we just have to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

I hear you. I have a son that is insulin dependent. Though we keep a few months on hand... it has to be kept cold. Then there are the test strips, needles, pen caps, gluc tablets, etc. that goes along with it. Can't "fake" insulin.

We lost power for just a day and by the third hour my wife was already starting to worry about the extra insulin in the fridge. Though it was fine she couldn't help but let her mind run with her. "What if no power for 2 days, 3, days a week?" etc.

I guess guys like us, I hate to say it but we just have to plan for the worst and hope for the best.

My suggestion for you would be to buy some of those ice packs that you bust the little thing and shake it up and it gets cold. They last 6 to 12 hrs depending on which ones you buy. Get a cooler that is just big enough for the insulin and 1 of those cold packs on top. You would be good to go.

My suggestion for you would be to buy some of those ice packs that you bust the little thing and shake it up and it gets cold. They last 6 to 12 hrs depending on which ones you buy. Get a cooler that is just big enough for the insulin and 1 of those cold packs on top. You would be good to go.

That's exactly what me and my wife are talking about doing. We have a year round creek at the house that is spring fed and stays very cold... but was little use during the flood! Hahaha!!

Guest HvyMtl

Bug out locations - issues I see: 1) Finding a good location, which is easy for me to get to, but is not easy for others, or at the very least, out of sight/ out of mind of all the others in the area. 1a) Location close enough to get to quickly, with multiple routes to get to the location, in case a few routes are blocked. 2) This location has to be flood proof, as the present situation in Nashville makes apparent, and if the dam network fails... 3)Having enough space for trustworthy friends and family to aid in the everyday necessities, such as farming, hunting, and gathering. 4)The place must be defensible for the inevitable finding by a mob or group of looters. (Again, adds to #3, as I and my immediate family would not be enough to take down a mob, or organized looters...) 5) Must be a sustainable location with the proper requirements to up keep a population if the need arises, and relocation is necessary... (water, shelter, farm land, etc.) 6) Must be cheap to buy. 7) Must be able to be maintained with little to no maintenance, and without having a major construction event occur (blows #1 out of the water...)

Effectively, a tall order.

As money wont let me buy a big plot of land away from the major population areas, and build a survival location, bugging "in" is the way I will be doing things. But, due to the critical need of medication, after 4-6 months, I will be gone anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
I've got land about 8 hours away. So if TSHTF, I could hole up there. Sure, it is a long way but these things don't happen all at once in TN.

Still the SHTF scarenario worries me. While everyone else will be shooting zombies and such the first things I'll have to shoot is my in laws.

Zing! :)

but seriously - 8 hours is a long way for a BOL. If you plan on using a vehicle to get there, make sure to keep enough fuel onsite to make the trip. Thats what I do. Also - a waterproof map on how to get there (preferably avoiding interstates and large cities), is nice to have as well.

I would not go anywhere. I live in a relatively remote area on a dead end road. Most people who have been to my house never knew the road was as long as it is. I live on the side of a mountain that offers a lot of great areas to hold out if need be. Wildlife is abundant for food because no one hunts here.

I generally keep 30-40 gallons of water as well as at least a few weeks worth of dry goods.

Dolomite

8 hours away under normal conditions could be days, weeks or even months away in SHTF conditions.

I can't really imagine a situation, other than a fire or tornado, where I'd be inclined to leave home. In those cases, the damage should be rather limited in area, so finding a suitable place to relocate temporarially shouldn't present a big problem. Am I missing something?

I can't really imagine a situation, other than a fire or tornado, where I'd be inclined to leave home. In those cases, the damage should be rather limited in area, so finding a suitable place to relocate temporarially shouldn't present a big problem. Am I missing something?

Probably not, but you're fairly remote from any major cities - if there were a major breakdown of some sort, it would be quite some time before anyone from Nashville made it out that far.

I'm not as remote from Memphis as you are, so there's a chance if the breakdown was great enough we'd be safer getting out of Dodge.