Plain or serrated?

I've never been much of a knife guy, but I've always had one in my pocket for when I need one. I've always carried a half serrated blade. I'm starting to think of going with a plain blade, assuming it'd be easier to sharpen. What do y'all think?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much the problem I have. That's why I'm thinking about the plain edge. Been eyeing the Spyderco Tenacious G-10.

Me too. I have used these little files to sharpen the serrations individually. It takes a light touch though (...no or very light pressure, watch the magic marker go away; then stop...).

Link here: DMT Diafold Serrated Knife Sharpener Extra-Fine - Knifecenter.com

I use a magic marker to "color" long bevel side of the serration (...dont sharpen the back side, just knock the burr off with one stroke on the back...) to make sure i cut all along the front serration valley and dont blunt it off (...if you kook closely, the individual serrations are designed to be like a chisel or gouge--sharpened on one side only...). Success varies alot for me though.

I (...like you both...) seem to have much better luck sharpening a plain blade knife. My observation: Plain edge= extremely sharp. Serrated knife=so so edge.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Leroy

When I first got into knives, I liked having both plain and serrated on the blade, but over the years I've found that plain serves my purposes every time, while a serrated blade is more of a specialized tool.

If it were up to me, ever carry blade I have would be plain.

A plain blade. Serated knives are called "Steak Knives". I've been a blue collar worker for 30 years and I have always carried a pocket knife. I have carried serated edge knives but I always go back to straight edges. Serated edges will get you cut.

Guest SUNTZU
A plain blade. Serated knives are called "Steak Knives". I've been a blue collar worker for 30 years and I have always carried a pocket knife. I have carried serated edge knives but I always go back to straight edges. Serated edges will get you cut.

:D That's why I like a plain blade on a pocket knife, too. If you are actually working with one you tend to bleed...once...if you're smart. :P

I prefer a combo edge. I recently purchased a combo edge Spyderdo Tenacious, however when it arrived at my house it was a plain edge:mad: So now I'm thinking about buying another one that is ACTUALLY a combo edge.

I find that most of the things I cut do better with the serrated edge.

Yeah, I've gotten a couple cuts that wouldn't've happened if I was using a straight edge. My belt had broken, so I had duct taped it and poked the holes back through, but eventually I needed to cut that tape off and re-do it. Blade slipped off the belt right into my thumb. You would've thought it was a cut, but if you looked closely enough you could see 3 holes. What happened was the serrated edge had actually stabbed me and gone done to the base of the serration where the blade comes together and as such it looked like a cut.

Guest italia

EDC=Plain. If I think I'm going somewhere I may need a serrated blade, it's nice to be able to take it instead.

I carry an old timer 3 blade folding I used to carry a S&W with a half serrated blade. Never again will I trust that little slide lock thingy instead of a true lock back. I guess all can fail but when it closed on my middle finger while cutting/sawing the side of a cardboard box and the combined over reaction of me slinging the knife off my my hand left my finger filleted from the first joint up with the tip hanging off by piece of skin . I put that knife away permanently.

I carry an old timer 3 blade folding I used to carry a S&W with a half serrated blade. Never again will I trust that little slide lock thingy instead of a true lock back. I guess all can fail but when it closed on my middle finger while cutting/sawing the side of a cardboard box and the combined over reaction of me slinging the knife off my my hand left my finger filleted from the first joint up with the tip hanging off by piece of skin . I put that knife away permanently.

:D

Ouch.

Partial serrations might have some degree of nasty advantage for self defense use (debatable), but it may also lose that to greater liklihood of getting snagged, or at least slowing the effort, in fabric.

All in all, for general daily use and sd, I've become believer in sharp plain blade, too.

- OS