Whats in your Bug Out Bag

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdm3

A search should bring up TONS on this topic. This thread is still good since those who have them have probably fine-tuned their collection.

I did a search but i didnt see a specific thread dedicated to posting your setups. the ones ive seen where were people would post up theirs and it would be the only one. if a mod wants to lock this that is fine with me

Guest SUNTZU

Bug out bags constantly change...especially with use and practice. When you are putting one together you need to think of where you are planning on going. Otherwise you wind up with a 50+ lbs. pack that you don't practice with and you end up dying of dehydration on the side of the road or getting your head cut off on youtube.

There is a difference between bug out and INCH (I'm Never Coming Home). I prefer minimalist approach. What do I absolutely HAVE to have to get there. I don't like carrying heavy gear that I don't really need. Bugging out = Roaming Refugee with a few more tools/skills than the huddled masses.

Shelter

Fire

Water

Food

Tarps and sleeping bag

Bic Lighter(s) and Trioxane, I also have vaseline on cotton balls

MSR Miniworks w/ prefilter; Nalgene bottle and 3.0 liter Camelback w/ locking discharge

Mountain House and Energy Gels; Oatmeal packets

FAK

Headlamp w/ backup light

Paracord

Sog Multitool

Cover for your head

Map/Compass/GPS

Extra Batteries

Change your bootlaces out w/ paracord. Add lights to your zippers on pack. Bubble compass that pins to your shirt or shoulder strap. Stay positive and focused. Practice will help keep you that way.

I'm not going into a lot of detail here. That's a basic setup that you can form to your needs. If your serious, bugging out is a last resort...plan on bugging in...if that's not an option, and living is important to you, maybe a different place to call home is in order. ;)

index MARATAC GRAPPLING HOOK

Enjoy that site...you can call me names later. :P

Bug out bags constantly change...especially with use and practice. When you are putting one together you need to think of where you are planning on going. Otherwise you wind up with a 50+ lbs. pack that you don't practice with and you end up dying of dehydration on the side of the road or getting your head cut off on youtube.

There is a difference between bug out and INCH (I'm Never Coming Home). I prefer minimalist approach. What do I absolutely HAVE to have to get there. I don't like carrying heavy gear that I don't really need. Bugging out = Roaming Refugee with a few more tools/skills than the huddled masses.

Well pointed out, because my thinking on the other thread was in issues of what to keep in a vehicle in case of having to abandon it and head out on foot. What's in the vehicle would be minimal, for basic survival for a couple of days until I can get home. The bug out bag at home would consist of slightly more in the event that I had to head out from home, but would be enough to last until I could get to my safe location, on foot if need be. It's best to have one of each, in case you're in your vehicle and can't get home in a timely manner. The one in the vehicle should be seperate from the one kept at home, because there may be a situation where you can't get to the bug out bag that's in the vehicle.

Or maybe I'm just over thinking things....;)

Maxpedition Falcon II. I read about them through another thread...researched it and got one off ebay. Fantastic little bag. What's in it? Search the essential items 1st thread and that's where I got started.

Guest SUNTZU
I've yet to go to that site without spending $50.

The Maratac AAA is the best EDC flashlight around in my opinion.

That website is crack. I've yet to pick up the Maratac light. I'm jealous.

Guest SUNTZU
I want the lil' grappling hook so I can complete my Luke Skywalker outfit.

Seriously, there is a lot of fun swag at County Comm.

I'm currently seting 2 bug out bags up one is for the wife and kids. The other is for me I spend more time in the middle of the black top or 1000 miles from home so I got to thinking that I will need to get home before I can plan anything else.

My bag

1 GI issue sleeping bag

1 pen light

6 field stripped MRES

100 45 acp rounds

3 45 acp mags

1 Rock Island compact tacticle 45

200 + rounds of .223

7 30 rd mags

2 20 rd mags

1 2 liter camel back

Salt and Pepper (wild game with no seasoning sucks)

Stuff I still need

Water purification system

1 good fixed blade knife

1 extra folding knife

1-2 extra canteens ??

I have not made it home lately so when I get there I'm sure I'll be adding stuff that I have collected over the years.

maybe a machete or a tomahawk. I'm thinking that a pistol gripped 870 or a mossberg with an 18.5" barrel. My concern with the shotgun is weight.

Wifes bag

6 field stripped MRES

to be added

300 + rounds 9mm

Tarus 9mm millinieum

Hi-point 9mm carbine (to be replaced with an AR sooner or later)

camel back

canteens

knives

water filtration system

I'm still not sure how to handle the sleeping bags with the kids. 5-3-7mo I dont know what they can carry.

Also my truck has an extra 60 gal of fuel in a drag up tank and since I work in the Oil and gas industry I figure if I need diesel. I'll get some diesel

Guest SUNTZU

I'd suggest nicer sleeping bags with poly fill since they will shrink down a lot tighter. I wouldn't count on the kids carrying much, especially necessities, as they may drop it and you never know til you need it. I do think you are carrying a lot of ammo around for bugging out somewhere. Ditch the machete and tomahawk and carry a folding pruning saw. Home Depot carries nice plastic ones. I have one in my pack. Once you get it together, go for a long walk with it on. If you are carrying the AR you don't need the shotgun, IMO, unless the missus is going to be carrying it. The pistol grip sans stock is for the movies...also my opinion. At least get a folding stock on it for better accuracy.

Your mileage may vary, just telling you my opinions, inspecting. Do practice with your load and picture walking however far it is to your bugout location.

I'd suggest nicer sleeping bags with poly fill since they will shrink down a lot tighter. I wouldn't count on the kids carrying much, especially necessities, as they may drop it and you never know til you need it. I do think you are carrying a lot of ammo around for bugging out somewhere. Ditch the machete and tomahawk and carry a folding pruning saw. Home Depot carries nice plastic ones. I have one in my pack. Once you get it together, go for a long walk with it on. If you are carrying the AR you don't need the shotgun, IMO, unless the missus is going to be carrying it. The pistol grip sans stock is for the movies...also my opinion. At least get a folding stock on it for better accuracy.

Your mileage may vary, just telling you my opinions, inspecting. Do practice with your load and picture walking however far it is to your bugout location.

My bag is like I said a coming home bag and I will probably have to cover a large area of the country. If something happened right now I would be 12-1300 miles from home. I'm in Sinclair Wyoming and getting home would be top priority. I would either have to move through some fairly large cities or go around. Either way I do not think I would have time to evade so straight through would be the fastest way and I still would have to cross Mississipi and I don't think swimming would be at the top of my list.

As far as the mileage on the truck I don't really expect to run the whole way just because of the cities and stuff. I can run about 1600 miles on the 90 gallons of fuel in the truck but swaping out for a horse or hoofing it.

I plan on trying to keep the weight around what my hunting pack ways at least within 20lbs or so.

I figure if I can make it home I will resupply assess the situation around my home. then possibly load up the Z and head back out west to a buddy of mines place in Montana. If it get that bad.

My Bag

Gerber Multi-tool

Firestarter

Stainless 32oz Bottle

3L Camelback

Stainless bowl for eating and digging

Ducttape

6" Locking pliers for handle for bowl over and to use as a weight if i need to get

paracord over a high branch

Small Fishing kit

12 snares

Small Cranking Flashlight

Small LED Flashlight

Some drink packets

Salt n Pepper

Small battery operated fan for a creature comfort. weighs nothing and is size of a pen

Small notebook and pen in case you need to write down locations

Items still needed

Sleeping bag

Sawyer 3000 gallon water purifying kit

Compass

Gerber folding saw

Small First Aid kit

Silicone impregnated tarp

300ft of paracord

Vaseline soaked cottonballs

Signaling mirror

Metal Utensils

Edited by Il Duce

2 gal of distilled water, treated for storage.

3600 cal bars

Toilet paper

Batteries

Chem-lights

First-Aid Kit and Trauma Kit

Camping utensils and some MREs

A variety of compact tools/multitools, knife, etc...

Matches, road flare, flask of Everclear.

Copies of all my important documents/ID

Cash

Poncho

Change of clothes

Spare battery for the cellphone (charged, I rotate them every once in a while)

Aluminum water bottle with water purification tablets and some vitamins/meds inside.

There's more, but that's the high-points, off the top of my head.

Guest Letereat!

I for one aint goin nowhere. unless its someone elses pad in the hills and hollers. Just take what you would on a 7-10 self sustaining wilderness camping trip. If your really convinced its over and all hope is lost and u got nowhere to go..........then do the same but armed with your trusty shotgun w/a solid set o ghostrings and whatever else u like. But really fellahs.... im all for being prepared an all... but buggin out......it aint gonna happen.