Kimber Ultra Carry Questions

Guest Baddawg865

Guest Baddawg865

I seen one these at a local gun store all decked out. Had a laser grip and and a few other things the guy said....was to busy fondling the gun to listen what he was saying. I remember him telling me the price though....$1200.

My question is, if i bought this gun stock without all the fancy accessories, then turned around and added them later, would it be cheaper? I haven't got the first clue about Kimber products. Never owned one, or shot one. Does anyone have this gun?

Also was looking at a Springfield 1911 Ultra Compact. Would love to hear what you guys think.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TennFarmer

That Kimber Ultra Compact sure is NICE, heck, if you had to pull it to defend yourself, as soon as they saw it, they'd give up to it's awsomeness

Guest abailey362

I had a basic ultra carry model for a while - great gun but will not feed hollow points, as with most 3" 1911's.

One thing about buying it factory vs upgrading later is that the kimber laser grips that come on them from the factory aren't available aftermarket. You have to get diff grips, or buy a set off someone who wants to get rid of theirs.

Guest BEARMAN
I had a basic ultra carry model for a while - great gun but will not feed hollow points, as with most 3" 1911's.

One thing about buying it factory vs upgrading later is that the kimber laser grips that come on them from the factory aren't available aftermarket. You have to get diff grips, or buy a set off someone who wants to get rid of theirs.

+1....I have a series 1 Kimber Ultra CDP, and it too wouldn't feed hollowpoints.

Tried the new Hornady Critical Defense FXT ammo, and problem solved.

Now I carry it as my primary carry weapon. FWIW

The Springfield Armory Ultra Compact is a sweet piece too.

You'll enjoy either one you choose, because both are top notch weapons.

20192-1.jpg

my roommate has that on his night stand.. i cannot STAND a 3 inch 1911.. thing is all over the place!

That said, anyone have any tips on controlling one of these beasts? Last time I took mine to the range I was all over the target. The harder I tried the worse it got. When I got home I just gave it a good cleaning and put it in the safe.

Guest TNTgill

I have one with factory laser grips. Its nice to have the grips in a pinch but its easier and more accurate to shoot with just the sights. I have never had a problem keeping it on target. Hits where I point it...very accurate. I have never had a problem with it eating bullets either, anything I use has been fine. Currently have Golden Sabres loaded up. Are you using the mag that came with it because you need to upgrade to a better mag if so. Wilson, Chip McCormick or the KimPro Tac Mags may help with FTF issues. Overall very satisfied with my first 1911, gonna get a big brother sometime and it will be a kimber as well.

I have an Ultra CDP II, that feeds Rem. Golden Saber & Hornady Critical Defense without a problem.

It does need a "rounded" bullet for good feeding though. This pistol is at least as accurate as I am (probably more so)

And the 3" alloy frame is a LOT more comfortable to carry than a 4 or 5" steel frame.

I would think you will come $ ahead if you get as many upgrades as you want from the factory (whichever brand you choose) vs. piecemeal buying and installing yourself.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Guest cheez

My Kimber Ultra CDP is the best shooting handgun I have ever owned. Even better than the Wilson Combat I just traded. I can shoot one ragged hole at 15 yds offhand all day long with just about any ammo I choose. In several hundred rounds I have had two FTB. Both were with Blazer aluminum ammo and in the junk magazine that came with the gun from Kimber. With Chip McCormick or Wilson COmbat mags the gun is flawless.

You can purchase the Kimber Crimson Trace grips aftermarket but they are about a hundred dollars higher than standard Crimson trace grips without the Kimber logo. Hero Gear has the Kimber laser grips in stock. I bought my pistol without the laser because when I raise the weapon with the laser on my right index finger blocks the light. I'm getting too old to learn a new grip with my trigger finger anywhere but beside the frame.