Chief Serpas goes to NOLA

PaiMei

Tennessean article from today...

Nashville police chief Ronal Serpas mum on New Orleans job | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Text from Article...

One week before New Orleans is expected to name a new chief of police, Nashville’s police chief Ronal Serpas is declining to answer questions he has been approached about his home town job.

Mitch Landrieu will be inaugurated as the new mayor of New Orleans on May 3. Landrieu has said he would like to have a new chief picked by that time, and a task force of New Orleans community leaders has been working toward that goal.

Earlier this month, Serpas told a New Orleans television station he had not been contacted by the search committee. But, Serpas’s response softened some last week.

“It’s been his position that he’s not speaking to anything about New Orleans,†Metro police spokesman Don Aaron said in response to a series of questions about Serpas being approached multiple times by the task force about the job.

Media reports indicate that as many as 75 candidates have applied for the job, but the search itself has not been a completely smooth one. Four members of the search task force have quit, citing their lack of access to a list of candidates, who are first vetted by national law enforcement groups.

“One of the reasons I left was the task force was not privy to the applicants,†New Orleans NAACP president Danatus King told The Tennessean.

Serpas spent more than two decades in the New Orleans Police Department, advancing to the level of chief of operations and assistant superintendent. He then took the helm of the Washington State Patrol for two years before taking the chief’s job in Nashville.

Crime has been on a six-year decline in Davidson County since Serpas became chief in 2004.

New Orleans, on the other hand, is embroiled in controversy. The FBI has agreed to conduct a civil rightsinvestigation of the department and already this year the city has seen an increase in its homicide rate.

In February, Serpas told a New Orleans television station he didn’t have any plans to leave Nashville, a slight departure from his refusal to answer questions on the topic last week.

“I have had no contact with anyone from the incoming New Orleans administration,†Serpas told WWL-TV channel 4. “Nashville is now in the midst of its seventh consecutive and unprecedented year of overall crime reduction. I am very happy here and have no plan to go anywhere else.â€

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HvyMtl

I see the fellow is "popular" on this forum, too... ;)

I, too would like to see him go. Just wished we had a better mayor in office to pick a more non-political, realistic enforcement officer.

But, the way this mayor operates, we will find out who our new chief is after he is moving his stuff into the office...

I've heard nothing but bad things about Serpas, and to be honest I'll be glad to see him go since I'm trying to become a CSI and it would be more convenient for me to go to Nashville Metro. Honestly I have no idea why anybody would want to be an officer in any capacity in the city of New Orleans.

Guest mustangdave

Apparently Chief Serpas...and NOLA have a history...prior to coming coming here is seems that he was Assistant Chief there...so its a home coming of sorts

Guest Bronker

I was in Greene Military and Police supply yesterday, and there were four officers in there talking about it. They said from all internal accounts that he is gone, and they would be thrilled if it weren't for the fact that there's word that Mayor Dean has a hand-picked replacement with Boston, Mass. roots. Someone that Serpas threw his weight behind.

Don't get too excited...it may get worse.

Guest mustangdave
Perhaps we should go on a letter campaign to Dean instructing him to pick a police chief; not a liberal politician.

From what I hear about Mayor DEAN...a letter campaign would be useless. He's spending our money better than a sailor and marine on liberty in Subic Bay ever could.