642 water damage?

Guest 44M

Guest 44M

huh, well, I had my S&W 642 in my car, my car has been under the water since last Sunday...what is going to be a damage to the gun? can it be fixed or restored or is it gone for good? any advice? thanks

5.jpg

Db

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disassemble, clean thoroughly, dry completely and lubricate, all ASAP. If it were mine I may take it to my friendly gun shop that has a special on clean and lub for $20. I would think an ultrasonic cleaning would be a good thing. Delay is not your gun's friend.

oldogy

Edit: Make certain there is no rust forming on any of the springs. If there is, replace them.

Edited by oldogy

Its stainless steel and aluminum; it will be fine. But its needs to be completely disassembled and the parts soaked to get rid of all the crap that was in the water. Oil and reassemble and it should be fine.

Guest 44M

ok guys, thanks a lot, you made me feel better now, I can`t get to the car right now, I have to wait on the insurance to tow it and then go and pick it up and try to clean it up and soak it , what would be the best thing to soak this gun in? oil? any kind of special oil? this is my favorite carry gun,I would hate to luse it...thank you all for your advice..

Db

After being in the flood, I would lean toward completely disassembling the gun and cleaning it with your favorite gun cleaner/ gun oil, not just soaking the assembled gun in oil.

Insurance won't let you remove your property from the car until after it's towed?

It will be fine, but as others have said... clean it ASAP.

I had a Ruger Super Blackhawk that was completely submerged in a deep mud puddle (it was on my side when I fell in :D). I disassembled, cleaned, dried and lubed it. Still shoots great!

Guest abailey362

if it is in the car, your insurance should cover it.

sounds like a total loss to me. replacement value is whatever MSRP is on the gun :P

what would be the best thing to soak this gun in? oil? any kind of special oil?

Since its stainless steel and aluminum you shouldn’t have any signs of rust yet. Hoppes #9 will work fine; you just need enough of it to submerge the frame and parts and soak it overnight. Thoroughly clean the parts and lube. (Break Free CLP or any common gun oil will work fine. Don’t use stuff not designed for guns like WD-40.)

The problem is not really just the water; but all the garbage in the water. You need to make sure you get everything off so it doesn’t give rust a place to start. Some of the internal parts of your gun may be steel.

I have a blued S&W model 36 that once spent several weeks in standing water, in the trunk of my car (long story, maybe I'll tell it someday) Some bare metal and rust on the cylinder and top strap, but still completely functional - 20 years later.

Guest db99wj

The screws. They might be just metal.

The trigger mechanism, make sure there is no sediment residue in it. There is a lot of sediment in flood waters and that can gum up the moving parts.

Abailey...:koolaid:

The problem is not really just the water; but all the garbage in the water. You need to make sure you get everything off so it doesn’t give rust a place to start. Some of the internal parts of your gun may be steel.

All the internal parts are steel. Take the sideplate off and clean it up. If this is too much...Take it to John Wall in NE Nashville and for under $40 he will both clean it...and tune it up for you.

IF you can't get it to a shop soon, at least have it completely covered and soaking in mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic motor oil.

Then take it to someone to dissassemble/clean if you don't know how like others have suggested.

But take the grips off first. :wall:

DSCN0057.jpg?t=1273719867

finish is gone, under those white spots is rust, but gun seems to work fine...

DSCN0054.jpg?t=1273719921

car is gone ..new Versa with 6000 miles ...

Db

finish is gone, under those white spots is rust, but gun seems to work fine...

car is gone ..new Versa with 6000 miles ...

Db

That’s surface rust. The stainless is not hurt a bit, the steel components will clean up, and unless there is some kind of coating sprayed over the aluminum; it’s okay also.

But right now any plain steel parts inside that gun are rusting and starting to pit.

Sorry for your loss. I assume insurance will replace the car?

Edited by DaveTN

hi Dave,

yes I had full coverage and GAP insurance but I had to get another car, put some money down ,now dealing with insurance etc...but I can`t complain, some people lost everything they had...I cleaned up the gun, inside components are fine I polished trigger too, sprayed with some WD40 and gun seems to work just fine, at least now it has some character to it..LOL...has a story to tell..

Db

Edited by 44M
  • 1 month later...

this is what the gun looks like now...thinking about trading it but it works fine and there is no rust anywhere, I guess that should be my "floody" LOL ...it has some character now...

DSCN0098.jpg

DSCN0099.jpg

DSCN0100.jpg