Anyone carry a switchblade?

Guest crotalus01

Guest crotalus01

Not sure if it is considered "carry" under the law, but I keep an OTF switchblade in my car. Just seems like good insurance in case of a wreck that disabled an arm and I needed to cut a seatbelt off or break out a windshield (unlikely I know, but so are a lot of things that eventually happen).

Curious if anyone else carries a switchblade, and why or why not.

Never understood the law saying non-MIL/LEO can't carry switchblades, especially if they have a HCP.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a SOG Flash II spring assist folding knife. It's legal becuase you have to manually thumb the blade, then the spring "assists" opening. I use it becuase it can be opened "in a flash" with one hand.

All of the time, when I am working it is allowed. I have carried in Nashville before and I have asked several Police officers who have said since I have my handgun permit they have no problem whatsoever with what knife I choose to carry. But I am in no way advising you to do so as that is at your own risk, I personally think it has a lot to do with my demeanor and the way I respect police officers :wall:

TCA 39-17-1301 (17) “Switchblade knife” means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by (A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or (:wall: Operation of gravity or inertia.

TCA 39-17-1302 (a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(7) A switchblade knife or knuckles...

It is a defense to prosecution that the person in possession of a "switchblade" is a law enforcement officer.

I would not have a switchblade in my vehicle unless I were a LEO.

Edited by redstategunnut
Guest crotalus01

Confused about the legal difference in TN between a spring assisted kinife and a switchblade. Can anyone clarify?

"Switchblade knife” means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by (A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or (B) Operation of gravity or inertia.

would seem to include spring asissted knives in the "gravity/inertia/or any other device in the handle" area.

Opinions?

Guest 10mm4me

A switchable is any knife that opens mechanically with the push of a button, a spring assisted knife requires your power or force on the blade but is "assisted" by a spring which lessens the amount of human force needed to deploy the blade. There is a difference and u are breaking the law. I would keep it @ home. It's meager advantages are not worth the leagal ramifications and most "switchblades" are of very low quality. Get a good fixed blade knife for your car. It is 100x stronger and faster,cause, let's face it, it's always open and legal.

Confused about the legal difference in TN between a spring assisted kinife and a switchblade. Can anyone clarify?

"Switchblade knife†means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by (A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or (B) Operation of gravity or inertia.

would seem to include spring asissted knives in the "gravity/inertia/or any other device in the handle" area.

Opinions?

If YOU must start the blade opening by physical effort of touching blade/blade stud, you're good.

Way statute reads, you'd think that a balisong (butterfly knife) or just a loose folder you could flip open by flick of wrist, would also qualify as a "switchblade", but federal law (or TN AG, or both, I disremember), AFAIK, has issued clarification where those are not "switchblades". But don't take my word for that.

- OS

I thought I read that OTF knives like Microtech do not fall under the "switchblade" definition becasue their button pushes on the blade itself. Am I completley off on that? If so it would seem that there are many legal workarounds to "switchblades". However, I doubt a borderline aggressive officer would agree.B)

I have a BenchMade AutoStryker I got in Iraq. I would never carry it.

Could you imagine getting caught/charged with carrying a switchblade and losing your HCP because of it?

As stated before, not worth it / other options...

Guest Caveman
I thought I read that OTF knives like Microtech do not fall under the "switchblade" definition becasue their button pushes on the blade itself. Am I completley off on that? If so it would seem that there are many legal workarounds to "switchblades". However, I doubt a borderline aggressive officer would agree.:screwy:

The way I describe it to people is; if you do not have to physically touch the blade to deploy it, it is illegal. An assisted action requires touching the blade to deploy.

Note: Thumb studs on the blade are considered part of the blade.

Even if you have one that is on the borderline of illegal, why take the chance? If a LEO deems it illegal, and it isn't, you have to fight it in court which requires lawyers, court costs etc. Then you will have to try to get your permit reinstated.

Edited by Caveman

It's a poorly written statute. I think it could be argued either way because a "switchblade" is a knife that opens automatically by pressing a button or other device in the handle. The spring assisted knives contain a device in the handle that causes them to complete the action of opening, but the opening is not commenced by pressing a button or other device "in the handle." The spring is in the handle, but it is not the part that is pressed.

The problem is that all these arguments matter only after you have been charged with possession of an illegal weapon. Even "winning" this argument is like "winning" a pissing contest: even the winner gets wet. To get charged with possession of an illegal weapon for carrying a spring assisted opener, and nothing else, one would likely have had to put oneself in a very stupid situation and then have the misfortune to meet a really zealous officer who took a strong dislike to you. That's a bad place to be put.

I roll strictly lawful. My HCP is not the most important "license" at stake for me if I am convicted of a crime involving a weapon.

If YOU must start the blade opening by physical effort of touching blade/blade stud, you're good.

Way statute reads, you'd think that a balisong (butterfly knife) or just a loose folder you could flip open by flick of wrist, would also qualify as a "switchblade", but federal law (or TN AG, or both, I disremember), AFAIK, has issued clarification where those are not "switchblades". But don't take my word for that.

- OS

But doesn't the TN statute specifically mention 'butterfly' knives as being illegal, too?

It really doesn't make much sense to me that HCP holders can be trusted in public with a concealed weapon capable of wounding or killing at some pretty long distances, can legally have a loaded (but not chambered) rifle in our vehicles which could possibly be lethal at a distance of several football fields yet we still can't carry a stupid 'butterfly' knife.

But doesn't the TN statute specifically mention 'butterfly' knives as being illegal, too?

TCA 39-17-1301 (17) “Switchblade knife†means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by (A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or (:DOperation of gravity or inertia.

Butterfly knives work by gravity and or inertia and while not specifically being named in the above, how they operate is so the answer is yes.

TCA 39-17-1301 (17) “Switchblade knife†means any knife that has a blade which opens automatically by (A) Hand pressure applied to a button or other device in the handle; or (:DOperation of gravity or inertia.

Butterfly knives work by gravity and or inertia and while not specifically being named in the above, how they operate is so the answer is yes.

The question was, is "butterfly knife" specifically mentioned.

Since the word "butterfly" is nowhere in the statute, the answer is clearly no.

Certainly, the statute description would seem to support that balisong/butterfly knives would fit the description, though, that's true.

Actually, so would just ANY loosely hinged folding knife that you could flick open.

- OS

This is one of the things I miss about Florida, there with a Concealed weapon permit you were allowed to carry any knife that you wanted as long as it was concealed, I wish Tennessee would adopt this same policy

They can't count chads, but they can sure cut 'em.

:D:bowrofl:

I wish TN would adopt a knife law like Florida's, too. It's insane that you can legally carry, and be trusted with, a gun, but heaven forbid your knife quickly attain the same configuration as the 4" fixed blade next to it. :D

Well much like open carry scares the sheepeople. Switch blades, OTF and butterfly knives are look and sound scary. Its silly but politicians make lots of silly laws based on the look and name of some thing rather then the item it self.

Well much like open carry scares the sheepeople. Switch blades, OTF and butterfly knives are look and sound scary. Its silly but politicians make lots of silly laws based on the look and name of some thing rather then the item it self.

Yep. Sad reality. :D