Opinions on Ruger SP101 .357?

Guest TargetShooter84

Guest TargetShooter84

Was at a gun show not long ago and was looking at this model and I'm very interested and almost bought it but thought I should do a little research first before jumping the gun on it.

This is similar to the one I saw at the gun show.

RugerSP101.jpg

What's your opinion on this model? If you owned one or still have it, do you consider it a good buy? Or is it something I should run away from? And why?

I'm in market for a revolver and thought this would be good gun since I already own few semi-autos.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Thanks!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyescream

I have the shorter barrel version (2.25" versus the 3" you show pictured).

I love it. It's awesome. It's as tough a gun as you'll probably find for the price, and I'd buy another one again in a second.

Guest kirkosaurus

I have one and I love it. It's my primary carry weapon. I have the bobbed hammer model and I've replaced the factory grip with a wooden one.

The only con would be it's weight. If I carry it in the pocket holster it really weighs me down but it's not bad at all when using my OWB pancake holster.

Overall it's an awesome gun.

EDC.JPG

I don't know. If you'd be kind enough to send me one and a good supply of ammo, I'll be more than happy to write you an extensive review.:D

Seriously, I've never owned one, but they look great, and all of Ruger's revolvers are tough as nails. If I ever find one at a fair price, I'll buy it.

I've had two of them. One in .38 and one in .357. I wouldn't be afraid to purchase another one either. Great little pistol. The only negative is you need a holster with one. They weight to much for pocket carry.

Great little pistol. The only negative is you need a holster with one. They weight to much for pocket carry.

+1

I passed up on one for the reason above since I wanted one for pocket carry. I went with a 642. For me, if it's going to need to be used with a holster, I'll just go ahead and go with a higher capacity bottom feeder.

But as everyone says, it's a tank and a great gun.

Here is mine:

ctgrips019a-1.jpg

I really like it. .357s are very manageable, moreso than through other snubbies (I like Golden Sabers best through mine). It's too heavy for pocket carry, but a piece 'o cake in a holster. Love the CT grips too!

Now for the bad...IMO Ruger quality control has been very spotty in recent years. When I got my SP101 two years ago too many of them had barrels which were a little bit crooked, some were more roughly finished externally than others and most all of them could stand to have the internals go through a de-burring fluff n buff. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen.

I have had one for a few years now. Mine is a .357 Mag with the 3 inch barrel.

If desperate times came upon me it is absolutely the last gun I would sell.

I have no idea how anyone pocket carries it but it hides very well when carried in a holster on the belt, IWB or OWB. I am comfortable with the five shots, get a stripper clip like OS has and you have backup ammo that is not bulky.

The price seems to be goin up on these at gunshows so buy it sooner rather than later.

Your thoughts are welcome.

All my revolvers are Smith & Wesson, but I wouldn’t be afraid to buy a Ruger SP101. In the small guns; heavy is better. Check that gun out against the S&W Model 60. (Those would be the top two competitors in that size and stainless.)

I had a 2-1/4" SP101 and liked it enough to get a 3" too - great, dependable revolvers. Smooth action and trigger pull, built like tanks.

I agree with a couple of the other posters that they're a little heavy for carry unless you have a good holster for them.

First, I'm no expert and I don't own one of these. However, I have put a few rounds down one as well as similiar Smith and Taurus revolvers. If I bought a revolver tommorrow, I would probably get a 4" Ruger in .357. S&W is nice but there is something about the over-built nature of the Rugers that appeals to me;(especially since it wouldn't be and EDC). The last guy I saw with an SP101 liked it so much he bought a 2nd.

Edited by JReedEsq