Opinions on Ruger SP101 .357?

Guest TargetShooter84

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 For SP101. I found it to have less recoil than the S&W light wts. Mine is 2 1/2 " with bobbed hammer. I carry mine in front pocket in a DeSantis holster. It is heavier than my Kahr PM9 but I have gotten use to it. If you are looking for a small carry revolver, this is a good one.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I recently acquired one as an undeserved gift. It is my first wheel gun and beat me up pretty good at the range after 25 357's and 25 38's.

I was told I could trade or sell it at will as it is too heavy for the pocket and would simply never replace 17+1 for EDC.

It is also the largest caliber I have fired in decades and I didnt have the sense to use a glove so it cut my trigger finger and gave me a nice blister in the webbing of my thumb.

I had been considering a trade for some other goodies but since reading how much you guys like yours and also another thread just yest on another forum about the same gun I am leaning toward learning how to effectively use this thing.

Shooting gloves, finger groove grips and practice practice should help, but I still can not define the "role" it would play in the tool family

I have spied some Tulip Wood grips from houge for it but may get the rubber ones with finger grooves first. I was certain I was going to trade it after shooting it but the past few days I am re-thinking that.

It is certainly a quality built firearm and one can just tell it would last forever and it has a serial # that makes it almost as if it was "meant to be mine"...if I could just learn how to use it effectively.

DSC01086.jpg

Sgt. Joe I have a Hogue rubber grip on mine and I believe it makes all the difference in the world in handling recoil. It has grooves for fingers. To me it feels like it was made specially for my hand.

Here is a link from a merchant so you can see it.

Hogue Monogrip Grips Ruger SP101 Rubber Black - MidwayUSA

I still just have factory grip on mine (with wood inserts, just to be artsy-fartsy), and don't find full load .357 objectionable, just a nice solid feeling.

The fireball is nifty, too. ;)

- OS

Sgt. Joe I have a Hogue rubber grip on mine and I believe it makes all the difference in the world in handling recoil. It has grooves for fingers. To me it feels like it was made specially for my hand.

Here is a link from a merchant so you can see it.

Hogue Monogrip Grips Ruger SP101 Rubber Black - MidwayUSA

Mike is 100% correct. You can change those grips and give the gun a whole new lease on life. Traunch also makes a good product.

Guest (BH)

100% awesome! Seriously, it's probably my favorite gun and I do have a quite a few that cost a lot more. It's my EDC, so we have a pretty tight bond.

Here's a crappy pic of mine:

DSC01350.jpg

Guest Sgt. Joe

WOW So it seems this little gun is rather popular and has been.

Yall have convinced me to Man Up and learn to use mine, but I do believe I will be getting those rubber grips with finger grooves, at least until I can handle it better.

50 rounds is hardly enough to learn any weapon especially a high powered snubby.

I had no idea so many people thought so highly of them.;)

Guest Bronker

Gotta keep it, Sarge!

I traded for one a few weeks ago, and yes, it's a beast to shoot. But I love it.

When I go to the range, I put on the Hogue grips. Makes a world of difference.

When I carry it (and I often do in the pocket---don't even have another holster for it) it's in a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

But at 6'6" and 350 lbs., I have big pockets!;)

Guest Jamie
I had no idea so many people thought so highly of them.:censored:

Well Sarge, let me tell ya... An SP 101 was one of 3 Rugers I went looking for, here back In February...

There wasn't one to be found anywhere near me. In any caliber or configuration. :censored:

Also, just so y'all will know... y'all are, as the Brits would say, Right Bastards, for teasing me with all those pics. ;)

J.

My wife actually used the .22lr one to practice shooting a pistol for the first time....even qualified for the HCP using it. almost zero....I mean zero recoil.

She now carries .38+P and is really good with it.

Mine has hothouse .357s....if you stand directly behind me when shooting you can see a fire ring blow out the barrel 5 or 10 feet. If it doesn't kill what it is pointing at...it will blow it over.

Guest TargetShooter84

Oh wow, I wasn't expecting all types of positive responses to this type of gun. Too bad I didn't buy it then but now that I know more about it from your experiences, I feel alot better that I have asked about it than playing "What if" game.

Will have to keep an eye out for it at the upcoming gun shows then!

More opinions are welcome! For those that have shared theirs, I appreciate it!

Bought one for my wife with the spurless hammer and crimson trace grips. She likes to brag that she passed her HCP test without really sighting. "All I had to do was put the dot on the target and it made a hole there, why would I want to sight it" she says......... B)

All I had when we bought it for her was my Bersa .380 and my Colt .45 and she knew better than try the 45, even after I told her it wasn't bad. When I got her out in the yard, I first loaded her up with .38's and she decided that wasn't too bad, so I says "well, lets try a couple of .357's". She asks, "Are they bad"? I says "No, there very much like the .38s". :devil::death::devil::shhh:

I load it up, point her down range, stand behind her, she sights in on the target all the while quietly saying "Oh :D, oh :censored:" repeatedly and............fires.

After the flame goes away I hear "OH :censored:!"

At this point, I'm :rofl: and :stalk:.

Long story short, we love the gun. Now that my Colt was stolen, kind of thought about getting another Ruger.

Guest TargetShooter84

Hahaha nice!

Yeah, I've owned 9mm and .22lr and would like to kinda amp up the caliber though, I won't be using it as a carry since I have a G26 for it but it would be good for occasional use like camping and things like that and few target shoots.

Anybody know of a good shops around Knox that may carry SP101 in 3" version? I'm really particular to that model since it fit so perfectly in my hand when I picked it up at the show.

Guest Papabear
Hahaha nice!

Yeah, I've owned 9mm and .22lr and would like to kinda amp up the caliber though, I won't be using it as a carry since I have a G26 for it but it would be good for occasional use like camping and things like that and few target shoots.

Anybody know of a good shops around Knox that may carry SP101 in 3" version? I'm really particular to that model since it fit so perfectly in my hand when I picked it up at the show.

If this is going to be a camping type gun and you have no need to conceal it I would also look at the ruger GP100. You can get a 3" in the GP100 and pick up a 6th round. Worth taking a look at.

Guest (BH)

I got mine from Sevier Indoor and I believe that they usually stock both lengths. Otherwise, Impact Guns and Bud's usually have them in stock.

I might have to pick up a 3" in .327 one of these days (because it's really a necessity, right? lol)...

If this is going to be a camping type gun and you have no need to conceal it I would also look at the ruger GP100. You can get a 3" in the GP100 and pick up a 6th round. Worth taking a look at.

Agree.

If it's not gonna be a carry gun, go with the GP.

- OS

Earlier in the week, Bill's Outpost in Maryville had a used GP100 that looked like it may have never been fired. I almost bought it but I had already decided my next purchase would be a shotgun (which I got yesterday). It was a 4", stainless, could have passed for new.

Edited by JReedEsq