Opinions on Ruger SP101 .357?

Guest TargetShooter84

Guest Jamie
You can get a 3" in the GP100 and pick up a 6th round.

Yes, but at a cost of about 9 to 10 extra ounces for that one round.

Still, I wouldn't mind one'a those either.... I just want the SP 101 first.

J.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my dad a GP100 Canadian Mounted Police gun and its awesome (John Wall's old gun)....I have also had a few SP101's and they are great too...right now my "small" .357 is a S&W 60-10 3" but I sure wouldnt pass on an SP101...they are overbuilt....however I would lean more towards the stainless I think for EDC.

for a desk or truck gun, go w/ the GP100.

for carry, go with the SP101

It's a beast to shoot with full on .357 and not something you will enjoy hours of range time with.

That said, it can handle anything you can give it.

it fits like a glove with the right grip.

I've owned several. and i will never sell mine again. i'm always sorry.

Guest BEARMAN
Why you trying to start a ruckus? :D

It's Saturday night....why not have a good ruckus? Heck fire...I like 'em both!

Check out these babies!

IMG_0932.jpg

Guest Bronker
It's Saturday night....why not have a good ruckus? Heck fire...I like 'em both!

Check out these babies!

IMG_0932.jpg

Oh the irony of the gun mat in the background...

Guest TargetShooter84

Thanks for those inputs, guys.

Maybe I will luck out on getting one at this upcoming gunshow if I find the time to go.

Anybody know if this upcoming gunshow this weekend will be big like last time at the Expo center?

Guest TargetShooter84

Oh, just curious...what's the going rate for this gun? I've been finding it in prices over 460 to 490 dollars plus tax/fee.

Is that too high?

Guest The Highlander

I'm deciding between the SP-101 and GP-100 for my next handgun purchase.

Incidentally, I just got back from the NRA convention, where I handled every gun in the place (I think) and I've gotta say that the Ruger SP-101 handles better for me than did the S&W 60 Pro Series I handled within five minutes of each other.

The GP-100 4" also felt better to me than did the S&W 686 SSR. I own guns from both companies, and I was really looking forward to comparing the above revolvers.

I was mildly surprised when I thought both Rugers really felt much better to me than the Smith's did. And the Smith's were both Pro Series guns at that.

The Highlander

Guest (BH)
Originally Posted by Mike.357 viewpost.gif

I am probably a blasphemer but I would take the SP101 over a S&W

No blasphemy here, mike. I'm withya all the way. I'll take the SP over any Smith snubby any day of the week, period. Of course, that's not to say I don't love Smiths, but the SP is as you put it: the last one to go.

I qualified for my handgun permit with a SP101. I shot .38s through it and it wasn't that bad, considering I hadn't shot handguns that much. I was actually going to get one until I shot the XDSC9. The SP101 will definitely be my next handgun purchase.

Guest daybreaker

Good solid revolver...built well enough to soak up that recoil so one doesn't mind taking it to the range. I've read alot in forums and talked to alot of people who know alot more about guns than me (which isn't saying much i guess..lol) and they all agree that you can't go wrong with Ruger.

I bought mine to work in my carry rotation, but i haven't found a comfortable enough holster to carry that weight. Thinking very seriously about trying the simply rugged holster. I've heard good things about that one.