Rock Island Armory 1911's in 9mm are here.

Guest CK1

Guest abailey362

it seems to me to be the cheaper shooting alternative, for non-reloaders, on a familiar platform for competition or training.

How many of you own a AR style rifle in 5.45 or .22, or have a conversion? I run a conversion in my AR, so that way it is hella cheaper to shoot, but it is the weapon I would use if need be, so I am much more familiar with it.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread just confirms that 1911 nutswingers are elitists. "If it's not 45 its not worth owning." Whatever. Everyone likes something different and everyone will find a different use for it.

I currently have (and carry) a 1911 in .45 and had an XD45 in the past. I love my 45s but I don't look down on 9mm. I am NOT a fan of .40 at all but i tried a few and just didnt like them. I will at somepoint own a 1911 in 9mm. I love 9mm and love the 1911 platform. If people want a 9mm 1911 or whatever, why is it such a big deal to you? You aren't spending the money on it? Or is this a case of you being the older sibling and you aren't going to get as much attention now that little brother/sister just came home from the hospital?

Guest Moody
A 1911 in anything other than .45ACP just seems wrong.

It's not, once you own one. It does seem a little odd at first, but I had to actively search for my S&W Pro Shop 1911 9MM, and knew that it was going to be a shooter. It sure is - every one of my friends that made fun of me for buying it, now wants one.

I suppose I could put it this way: I can take any one of 5 of my 1911s to the range at any given time - but even though I may take one or two at a time, the Smith 9MM is always in the bag. It's that good of a gun.

That RIA 9MM looks promising - I'd love to see one in person.

It's kind of funny hearing guys going back and forth on how 1911's should only be chambered in .45 being a sticking point... for me when I think of 1911's i pretty much only think "TRIGGER", the ol' chase for the "glass rod breaking", I could really care less what it's chambered in, 9mm doesn't exactly bounce off, and shooting 200rds for the same dollars that would normally get you 100 is just fine by me.

Think I'm going to buy an STI Spartan 9mm, it uses the RIA as a base gun and the more I think it over I believe you may more than get your money's worth in having an actual STI-affiliated Texan doing the fitting and to get the harder S-6 hammer and S-7 sear... though it could be argued the Spartan's sights are better than the RIA's, and to some even the "STI" name itself justifies the $150 or so more than the RIA.

The RIA's are rock solid as I know from experience, seems pretty obvious too that STI doesn't want to put out bad guns, even ones in the $600 range.

As for better sights, I almost wish guns came without sights like ski's or snowboards do without bindings, the Spartan's are better if you're still trying to find what you like I guess, but I'm not sure what I'll do in my case as I'm pretty set in running the same .115 front with a .150 rear notch fixed sights like on my Glocks which seems to be a thicker ratio than what is run on Bomar equipped guns and 1911's in general (my guess is I'll end up getting the notch widened by a gunsmith and look for a thinner front too... or maybe they're out there).

No ramped barrel with these mind you, which has me a little hesitant, but with Tripp and Wilson mags I've read reports of 1000rds without a failure which is what I'm used to seeing with Glocks, and wish I saw more of with 1911's.

I'm very weary of getting sucked into trying to get a 1911 to run how I want it to, and getting one to run in 9mm for short-money is like asking for a double-miracle, that said, the power of the crisp-single-action side of the force is strong.

(Also, thanks to timcalhoun mentioning it, I now know what an Aftec Extractor is, and believe that bit of info may come in handy if even as only a reminder that not all of the 1911 aftermarket is based on prettier grips and the annihilation of parts that are MIM, some things are out there only to gain performance... and hearing fellow austrian-plastic-true-believer deerslayer say he digs his STI Trojan and now may think some 1911's can run well without constant tinkering is encouraging... but beyond moving to a more "performance" extractor and maybe a trigger job, I'm not "tuning" it... if it doesn't work out it doesn't work out.)

1. Unless you're in a hurry, I'd wait for a Trojan. Get the real thing. You'll wait for a while, though. My friend bought the last one in America from Hero Gear last week. STI says current orders will hopefully be filled in August.

2. Stock Trojan sights include a .115 rear and a .110 front. That combination sucks for me. I run the same thing you do on my G34--.150 rear/.115 front. I put a .090 front on the Trojan, and still wish there was a little more daylight. It's definitely better than stock, though.

3. I'll end up with an AFTEC as well.

4. Out of the box, my Trojan has run 100% when it fired. I was initially getting super-light primer strikes, but a 21 pound mainspring (as opposed to the stock 15 pound mainspring) seems to have cured it.

5. You'll like the one-hole group at 15 yards. I certainly do.

I plan to eventually start carrying a 9mm 1911 :up: .45 purists will puke.

1. Unless you're in a hurry, I'd wait for a Trojan. Get the real thing. You'll wait for a while, though. My friend bought the last one in America from Hero Gear last week. STI says current orders will hopefully be filled in August.

2. Stock Trojan sights include a .115 rear and a .110 front. That combination sucks for me. I run the same thing you do on my G34--.150 rear/.115 front. I put a .090 front on the Trojan, and still wish there was a little more daylight. It's definitely better than stock, though.

3. I'll end up with an AFTEC as well.

4. Out of the box, my Trojan has run 100% when it fired. I was initially getting super-light primer strikes, but a 21 pound mainspring (as opposed to the stock 15 pound mainspring) seems to have cured it.

5. You'll like the one-hole group at 15 yards. I certainly do.

I plan to eventually start carrying a 9mm 1911 :eek: .45 purists will puke.

Well... I did put in an order for a Trojan, but it came about in a slightly different way... seems Spartan 9mm's are backordered everywhere until well past June (Dawson has 37 backordered guns sold already...) and since I know I want the STI incarnation for it's internals and more than anything hate waiting, figured I'd just wait for the Trojan instead, it'll probably be available before a Spartan is.

Well, at least my grips will be here in a few days (should probably just order the Aftec and magwell too as I'm pretty sure I'll want 'em), ordered some Ergo Grips for it, they're inexpensive and are more business than show, kinda like a skateboard tape feel in a grip that's a "in-between" profile, not a slim, not a regular, felt excellent on a buddies S&W I shot the other day... they look killer on black guns too (oh s**t, next I'll be shining it with a diaper...).