Mini 14... Which one?

My Mini 14 came from the factory with the ATI Strikeforce stock. The gun is pretty obnoxious looking in this configuration, and the folding stock has a little wobble to it.

EvilCrop.jpg

So, mostly out of boredom one day, I decided to change to a Hogue stock, which essentially turns the rifle into the NRA version.

Lovable.jpg

Now, I'm having second thoughts. Even with the wobble, I shot better off hand with the ATI stock.

My question to you... Which one would you pick?

BTW... the glass is a Leupold VX1 2-7

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first one is definately more tacticool. Is there not a way to tighten up the "wobble"?

The wobble is pretty slight, and the pistol grip adds some control. Most of it is in the stock itself, and can probably tightened up. It mostly goes away when you shoulder the rifle.

I'm old fashioned. I like the NRA type better. I bought two new Mini 14 tacticals and got the standard stock even though they were the same price.

Me too. I bought the rifle from a buddy, and probably wouldn't have picked the ATI version. The NRA version looks pretty dorky with 30 round mags.

Looks aside, it's a more comfortable shooter with the ATI stock, even though it looks like an EBR wannabe. Another up side. It's more cubbie hole friendly when you fold the stock.

I only have wood stocked ranch config, so I'm no help.

If I get another one, will probably get standard tactical model.

The only thing I need to work out is to fit a sling swivel base on ranch and/or tactical for bipod.

I don't mind the "look" of 30 rounder with standard stock, myself.

- OS

Better off with the Houge stock. If need Tactical stock, get the Tapco for the Mini, or there's the SCAR stock. But it cost as much as the rifle.

3983743361_9129be1596.jpg

I like the SCAR stock. Almost bought one a few times. Turns the Mini into a real sexy rifle.

I only have wood stocked ranch config, so I'm no help.

If I get another one, will probably get standard tactical model.

The only thing I need to work out is to fit a sling swivel base on ranch and/or tactical for bipod.

I don't mind the "look" of 30 rounder with standard stock, myself.

- OS

A bipod is another reason to go back to the tactical stock. Something to be said for rails. I'm never going to load the thing up with widgets, but an easily removable, rail mounted bipod is a good thing.

Yeah, sometimes it doesn't seem quite right that both that and this are both called "rifles", and both Mini 14 rifles at that.

5801.jpg

- OS

You sound like my old buddies that woudn't give up their M14's in Nam :poop:. I like the looks of the woodie, but like it better with the original wood handguard.

BTW... there is some truth to your sig line. The SCAR stock was developed for serious work, not basic rifle pimpin'.

woodie.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
You sound like my old buddies that woudn't give up their M14's in Nam :poop:. I like the looks of the woodie, but like it better with the original wood handguard.

woodie.jpg

Wow, that yours?

Looks like the new 580-581 barrel, but scored the old stock somewhere?

Seems that whole stock is older variety?

- OS

Wow, that yours?

Looks like the new 580-581 barrel, but scored the old stock somewhere?

Seems that whole stock is older variety?

- OS

No. Stole the pic off perfect union. I think you can still get aftermarket wood handguards, but you get the heat problem along with them. I spent a lot of time looking at Mini pimpin' before I bought the Hogue stock.

No. Stole the pic off perfect union. I think you can still get aftermarket wood handguards, but you get the heat problem along with them. I spent a lot of time looking at Mini pimpin' before I bought the Hogue stock.

Ah, IC. Thanks.

- OS

BTW... do you have an older Mini with a longer barrel?

No, I only bought one about a month ago.

Just got the woodie Ranch from Wally's.

Once they improved some stuff, like the barrel, I jumped...always kinda wanted one. I love it so far, just shot it today scoped for first time; it's as accurate at 100 and 200 yards as I am with anything else.

So far the reliability hasn't disappointed .. ran a bunch of Tula and Brown Bear lacquered stuff last week I bought from TGOer who admitted it didn't run well in his Ruger AR. Never a hiccup, and that after not cleaning the thing for couple hundred rounds before that, and shot another hundred or so today without cleaning still yet.

Thinking only real modification I might do is the smaller gas port thing to keep brass slinging inside 50 yards. :tinfoil:

Or maybe the adjustable one, but probably not.

Oh, I put a 1911 recoil buffer in it, so it IS customized now. :stalk:

- OS

edit: Oh, forgot to mention, those new Tapco 30 rounders have worked perfectly. About a hundred round through each of the 4 I bought for $12.99 each!

Edited by OhShoot
No, I only bought one about a month ago.

Just got the woodie Ranch from Wally's.

Once they improved some stuff, like the barrel, I jumped...always kinda wanted one. I love it so far, just shot it today scoped for first time; it's as accurate at 100 and 200 yards as I am with anything else.

So far the reliability hasn't disappointed .. ran a bunch of Tula and Brown Bear lacquered stuff last week I bought from TGOer who admitted it didn't run well in his Ruger AR. Never a hiccup, and that after not cleaning the thing for couple hundred rounds before that, and shot another hundred or so today without cleaning still yet.

Thinking only real modification I might do is the smaller gas port thing to keep brass slinging inside 50 yards. :tinfoil:

Or maybe the adjustable one, but probably not.

Oh, I put a 1911 recoil buffer in it, so it IS customized now. :stalk:

- OS

You need to be sure and loctite the scope mounts. I had one come apart at the range first time out.

Mine is a new one as well. and was extremely reliable with the original stock. Got a couple of stovepipes last time out after I switched to the Hogue.

One thing you need to watch if it's a blued rifle. The thing will lock up if you don't clean it after a trip to the range due to corrosion in the gas piston. When that happens, you gotta do the Garand stomp to get the bolt loose. I always either clean the piston area as soon as I get back from the range, or leave the bolt locked back.

You need to be sure and loctite the scope mounts. I had one come apart at the range first time out.

Mine is a new one as well. and was extremely reliable with the original stock. Got a couple of stovepipes last time out after I switched to the Hogue.

One thing you need to watch if it's a blued rifle. The thing will lock up if you don't clean it after a trip to the range due to corrosion in the gas piston. When that happens, you gotta do the Garand stomp to get the bolt loose. I always either clean the piston area as soon as I get back from the range, or leave the bolt locked back.

Hmmm...I've not cleaned it on purpose but once after first firing just to check dependability, but sounds like I better, then, will take that advice.

You see my addendum re the Tapco Mags?

MidWestHuntersOutlet, although they've gone up a couple bucks since I bought mine.. helluva product though, and that was another reason I bought the Mini when I did.

- OS

- OS

edit: Oh, forgot to mention, those new Tapco 30 rounders have worked perfectly. About a hundred round through each of the 4 I bought for $12.99 each!

I have a bunch of 30 round Promag polymer mags. Haven't used them yet, because I have one 20, and two 30 round ruger mags

I have a bunch of 30 round Promag polymer mags. Haven't used them yet, because I have one 20, and two 30 round ruger mags

Not to diss your equipment choice, but if those ProMags are reliable, they'll be the first I've heard of.

- OS

Not to diss your equipment choice, but if those ProMags are reliable, they'll be the first I've heard of.

- OS

I didn't choose them. Got stuck with them when I bought the rifle. I've actually heard decent reviews on their mini 14 mags.

I normally don't like to get the gun any hotter than what my Ruger mags will feed it. So, I haven't found a good reason to even load up one of the promags