Mini 14... Which one?

I didn't choose them. Got stuck with them when I bought the rifle. I've actually heard decent reviews on their mini 14 mags.

I normally don't like to get the gun any hotter than what my Ruger mags will feed it. So, I haven't found a good reason to even load up one of the promags

Yeah, I've not fired but one 30 round "burst" just for the effect of having done it.

I've got 6 Ruger mags, too. I'm a mag junkie, and keep them all loaded for every gun I've got. :tinfoil:

Pretty soon I'll have to drop back to .22 for this volume of lead downrange, though, that's for sure.

- OS

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've not fired but one 30 round "burst" just for the effect of having done it.

I've got 6 Ruger mags, too. I'm a mag junkie, and keep them all loaded for every gun I've got. :tinfoil:

Pretty soon I'll have to drop back to .22 for this volume of lead downrange, though, that's for sure.

- OS

The mini makes me burn ammo :stalk: Just can't help it. I treat it like a 10-22. If I'm not tweaking the scope, it's 10 shot groups.

Well... made my choice. The Mini is back in the ATI stock where it's gonna stay. Even if the tacticool look is a negative (I'm back and forth on that), there are a number of reasons why I went back to it.

1. The trigger never bothered me when shooting with the ATI stock, and it did with the Hougue. The pistol grip is a big plus with a somewhat heavy 2 stage trigger.

2. The adjustable length of pull and adjustable cheek rest has value. So does the folding stock. Rails are always good, in case you need something to hold your beer (or a bipod).

3. The ATI looks more at home with 30 round mags, which is what I have the most of (10).

4. The rifle is again illegal in the Republic of Kalifornia, just how I like it!

Fit and finish on both are equal, but the ATI stock has a Ruger logo. I found the stovepipe problem. My bad on that one... no fault of the Houge stock. Only takes a few minutes to swap stocks.

So, with this decision, I ordered a Harris bipod with a rail adapter, and an Accu-strut to tighten up the groups and stringing. Pics when I get 'em.

So whut wuz it?

- OS

I had to buy a new metal forearm liner, and it wasn't snapped in well enough. It requires some serious force to snap it into the stock. It popped out, and was dragging on the guide rod. It's in there now, so the rifle would work fine with the Hogue if I ever switch back.

I had to buy a new metal forearm liner, and it wasn't snapped in well enough. It requires some serious force to snap it into the stock. It popped out, and was dragging on the guide rod. It's in there now, so the rifle would work fine with the Hogue if I ever switch back.

Aha.

I'd read that the 2nd party stocks don't come with the liner and it had to be moved, or get another one.

It must be important to have it in there, then.

What if you don't? Does the stock like break or something?

- OS

Guest mustangdave

I have the standard Tactical Mini 14...not a fan of folders...IMHO...and it is mine...its plenty tacti-COOL...the right scope, scout rails and sling and 30 round mags...its rock & roll time...oh and a bi-pod too. set em up...knock em down

Aha.

I'd read that the 2nd party stocks don't come with the liner and it had to be moved, or get another one.

It must be important to have it in there, then.

What if you don't? Does the stock like break or something?

- OS

It's a channel for the rod. I had to buy a new one, because the one in the ATI isn't a stock part. The hogue instructions say to move the old one. Since both of my stocks have them now, it's real easy and quick to switch back and forth.

Ah, I obviously haven't looked closely enough at all the workings yet, thanks.

- OS

It's a thing of beauty. If I can get it to shoot as accurately as an AR, it's a keeper. It certainly runs cleaner than an AR, which basically poops where it eats :D

Its a copy of a Garand action right?

Yep, pretty much, just sized down some for 5.56.

Although I think the 6.8 version and the Mini 30 are all pretty much the same physical specs, too, with of course bore and minor bolt differences.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Here's how it wound up for now...

IMG_0387a.jpg

Added a Harris Bipod and Accu-strut. Also replaced the buffer tube with an aluminum upgrade. Looks like it's going to stay in the ATI stock.

I'm taking it to the range tomorrow to see how accurate it is with the new barrel strut. I'm not done, but hoping for some pretty tight groups.

Definately going for a trigger job when Gun Doc opens back up. Also seriously considering a Vortex flash hider, cryo treatment (if it still strings with a hot barrel), and stock bedding. Shooting for 1 MOA if i can get it.

That looks great. ALMOST looks like an M14EBR. Almost.

Well, it won't hurl a 5.56 with the raw killin' power of an AR15 (just ask the AR guys :)). It's really a CBR for crabby black rifle :P.

Yep, kinda looks like an M1A SOCOM with an M4 style stock. It's a real effective Zombie rifle right now, but I got the bug. Gonna push it as far as it will go.