Have you decided not to buy a 380 because of the ammo shortage?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love my 218 Bee and my 250-3000. I'm also a fan of the 257 Roberts. Ammo availbility isn't a big concern for me. When I find it, I buy a bunch of it. Then I have it when I want it. Reloading helps as well. I've got a few 380s, but don't shoot them much. Limited ammo availibility will be a short term problem, as it is pretty much THE standard conceal carry round. It probably ain't gonna get any easier to find ammo for my 6.5 Jap though.

Find and purchase a case or two of 380 ammo before you buy the handgun. Then it will not be a concern. You won't ever run out of it.

I'll never shoot a case of .380. I don't mind shooting my LCP enough to have confidence in it, but I'll shoot it as little as possible.

When I bought my first generation P3AT (NIB) if anyone had suggested that, within six years or so, .380 ammo would become scarce due to popularity that person probably would have been laughed at. If they had then suggested that .38 Special ammo would be equally as scarce, they probably would have been laughed right out the door.

I actually kind of like shooting my P3AT. With a grip extender mag base plate, I don't find it to be uncomfortable. I don't want a larger caliber pocket gun because, while it is sometimes my 'primary', it usually plays a supporting role as a weak-side BUG - meaning I may have to shoot it one-handed with my weak hand. Also, due to the small size, etc. I like to shoot it quite a bit just to be sure that I keep up my skills with it. I haven't been able to do that, lately - nor have I seen my preferred carry round (Federal Hydrashoks) available in .380, anywhere.

Because of all that, I have considered trading the P3AT for a P32 since even Walmart has .32acp ammo on the shelf. I have honestly grown kind of fond of the little .380, though, and don't really want to do that. Besides, when I sent my P3AT in to Kel Tec a few months back for repairs, they built me a brand new 2nd gen pistol on my old 1st gen frame and I really haven't had a chance to enjoy it, yet. I have also considered just buying a P32 and keeping the P3AT but don't really need to have, basically, the same pocket auto in two different, minor calibers. So, for now, I'll just hang on to the P3AT, hope ammo supplies return to normal and practice with/carry my NAA mini .22WMR as a weak side 'get off me' gun.

Edited by JAB

Supply is loosening up. I wouldn't hesitate now, but I would buy ammo every chance and get a supply set-up.

.380 wouldn't need the 1000 unit supply 250 would be enough in PD.

Cabelas finally getting the Winchester ST in this month....Seecamp is hungry.

Just for anyone else who needs some near Clarksville,

Grandpa's has some Hyda Shok or how ever you spell it.

I only bought on box just 'cause I've never shot any.

They also had some target ammo, but I have 7 boxes of WWB so I didn't pick up any more.

Guest Boogieman

My wife wanted a plinker and I was checking out the .380 until I saw the ammo prices and the fact than it was hard to come by locally. Went with .22 instead.

I actually sold my Kel-Tec P3AT because I was growing weary of not finding ammo. I did not mind the recoil and actually liked the little pistol for what it was. It was completely reliable out of the box and never had a problem. Sold it to a fellow TGO'er and last I heard, he still loves it. I did end up picking up a little P32 to replace it as my inside the pocket, bad breath gun. Ammo for the .32 acp is a little pricey, but it's pretty easy to find at Wally World and other LGS. More than I can say for .380 although it does seem to be getting better now.

Guest 1817ak47

hada bersa 380. sold it cause ammo was difficult to find when even found. and hte price

115gr~9mm bullet wt vs 90 gr~

9mm more power vs less powder

19mm long case vs 17mm long case

.001"-.002"extra case diamter

20-40% or more price difference per round

abouve is why I said f(#& it and bought a p-11 instead of 380. 380 costs a bit less obviously based upon materials needed but costs alot more, and is less power too.

Just bought a second P3AT last week as I was stealing my wife's more and more often to carry for quick trips to the store...

So again, no. Tons of .380 around if you look for it.

Guest Dean Wormer

I don't have a .380 because I much prefer my 9x18 caliber guns (makarovs, CZ-82s, P64, etc...). Yes, they are alot bigger then alot of .380's, but some can be slipped into a pocket without anyone being the wiser... not to mention the fact that a makarov is far more reliable and durable than most of the .380s on the market.

One other thing, when it comes to a carry piece, I would NEVER want to carry a gun that I did not shoot ALOT at the range... I would believe it to be irresponsible of me to carry a deadly weapon that I was not very familar with. So in that regard, 9x18 has basically been the same price as 9mm and was never hard to find throughout the great ammunition shortage of '09

Guest Bronker
<cough> I guess this would be a bad time to mention we had 10k rounds of PMC about a week ago for sale for 15 a box.

I know:cool:

I sent a very weary fellow customer your way, that I overheard at the Academy Sports / Outdoors ammo counter. In search of .380, and yet denied again.

He looked desperate and tired of searching for .380, and I mentioned your 'stash.'

He ran from the store...

Guest Bronker
Just bought a second P3AT last week...

Why yes...you did.:drool:

I keep meaning to tell you that you can keep the range bag I brought it in...

t-shirt%20bag.jpg

It doubles as a cat litter disposal.:clap:

Guest smileyguy

I did get a 380. Ammo is a little pricey, but as others have stated the 380 pocket pistols are not really range guns. Break'em in, practice occasionally, no big deal.

• 2 weeks later...

I first considered a .380 for carry, but because of the shortage of ammo moved up to a 9mm.

Glad I did, 9mm is about the least amount of power I want.