.22 Plinker?

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

I am looking to purchase a target shooting gun(s) for me and my wife. The 9mm and 45 ammo is way too expensive to shoot as much as I would like. Any suggestions? Ruger, Taurus, etc???

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking to purchase a target shooting gun(s) for me and my wife. The 9mm and 45 ammo is way too expensive to shoot as much as I would like. Any suggestions? Ruger, Taurus, etc???

Assuming you mean handgun, do you currently have a 9 or 45 that conversion kits are available for?

I currently own a SA XDm9 and a Colt Defender .45 and a Glock 26.

I have seen a few videos of the Ruger Charger. It is defnitely different.

The Ruger 22/45 has the same grip angle as the 1911, this maybe a option for you. I would also look at the Walther P22 and Sig Mosquito for a plinker, or the Beretta Neos, Ruger Mark 3 on the target side of the .22's. Just my two cents worth, you get what you pay for. :up:

I love my Charter arms explorer II, it looks like a C96 Mauser Broom-handle, or as some may know it "Han solo's blaster".

It takes some care and a little bit of tinkering but these things will run great on any ammo if you know what parts to mess with, most of it has to do with the magazine. I got mine for $130 at a pawn shop in Cleveland about 6 months ago.

Its the pistol on the left.

DIGI0003.jpg

Guest truejarhead
I love my Walther P22. I bought it new in October and it now has about 300 rounds thru it with never a jam. The wife really loves to shoot it. I'm glad I passed on the Sig Mosquito, just too many bad reports.

Agreed. My 9 year old just put 200 rounds thru my Walther P22 on Saturday. Fun little handgun. I've put 600+ rounds thru it with no jams.

Guest mgjohn

Any of the Ruger 22 auto pistols are great. I own some 22/45's and Mark 2's. They are built like tanks, shoot great and last almost forever.

I have to say, I think you'd be well served with the Walther P22. I bought it to save money...as usual...and it's a great value. It comes with alternate back straps for a different fit for you or your wife. It comes pre-threaded for a silencer(if your wife doesn't like the noise). Take-down doesn't require a PhD is Engineering like the Ruger .22, and it just plain looks good. That's my opinion.

Guest 70below

I love my P22, and the Mosquito's are fun too......but they're more of a plinker, you're not going to send round after round through the same hole. In addition the other target pistols mentioned, the Browning Buckmark is a pretty awesome pistol and I've always shot well with them.

Guest REDDOG79

I currently have a Beretta Neos U22 with the 4 inch barrel that is a lot of fun to shoot. My other plinking handgun is a tuarus Model 94 SS with a 4 inch barrel and with a 9 round cylinder. They are both fun and my wife and kids shoot them as well. I really want a S & W K-22 when I can get one as that's what I grew up shooting.

I agree with all the guns above, except the Sig Mosquito. I purchased the gun new and still dont have a good time at the range with it. Will not shoot 10 time without a jam.

A buddy of mine has had the same experience. His mosquito spends most of the time in the safe now...

Guest AlzRuger

I have a Ruger 22/45, a Ruger Mark III, and Walther P22. All are good shooters, and fun to shoot. You can"t go wrong with any of the three.

Guest super99gm

I have a P22 and a Buckmark. The P22 is fun to shoot, but the Buckmark is a lot more accurate. A P22 with the trigger of a Buckmark would be great.

Ruger Mark III. Be advised takedown is not a lot of fun at first. Otherwise, really good 22lr.

I like the Ruger Marks too. Relatively inexpensive, excellent shooters.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Edited by leroy
spelling!!-- still cant spell!!!

Browning Buckmark Camper. Accurate, not to expensive, easier to disassemble than other .22's, lots of after market accessories. I researched for months. IMHO the buckmark is perfect. The walther has issues. Ruger MK i, ii, iii or 22/45 are fine, but a PITA to disassemble. S&W and Beretta are ok, but they dont have a lot of aftermarket accessories.