Restaurant carry Vetoed!

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd
HA! I just got an email from Bredesen - it was a 100% copy/paste from the letter he included with is Veto and I am sure most everyone here got the same "response". What a joker. "Basic safeguards to public safety" blah blah blah. Seriously Phil - you really think you can pee on my feet and tell me its rain?

haha, yep. i got the same letter.:D

Guest italia

Phil & Kent's Priorities:

SAY NO TO FISH ROE! | Facebook

Governor Bredesen and House Speaker Kent Williams want to build a $16.9 MILLION fish hatchery in Williams' district with YOUR tax dollars. Call your legislators this week--while they are debating whether or not to spend your money on this wasteful project--and tell them to "SAY NO TO FISH ROE!"

Simply click the link below, type in your address and city, then contact your representative and senator to speak out against using your tax dollars on the fish hatchery boondoggle during these tough economic times!

Legislators - TN General Assembly

Here's a sample letter you can use:

Dear Senator/Representative,

I am writing to strongly oppose the proposed fish hatchery in Governor Bredesen's 2010-2011 budget. At a time when people are losing their jobs and retirement, it's entirely inappropriate to spend nearly $17 million to hatch fish--something that happens quite well in the natural world without government intervention.

As a shepherd of Tennesseans' hard-earned tax dollars, please take a stand against this wasteful boondoggle. Thank you for your service to the people of Tennessee.

Phil & Kent's Priorities:

SAY NO TO FISH ROE! | Facebook

Governor Bredesen and House Speaker Kent Williams want to build a $16.9 MILLION fish hatchery in Williams' district with YOUR tax dollars. Call your legislators this week--while they are debating whether or not to spend your money on this wasteful project--and tell them to "SAY NO TO FISH ROE!"

Simply click the link below, type in your address and city, then contact your representative and senator to speak out against using your tax dollars on the fish hatchery boondoggle during these tough economic times!

Legislators - TN General Assembly

Here's a sample letter you can use:

Dear Senator/Representative,

I am writing to strongly oppose the proposed fish hatchery in Governor Bredesen's 2010-2011 budget. At a time when people are losing their jobs and retirement, it's entirely inappropriate to spend nearly $17 million to hatch fish--something that happens quite well in the natural world without government intervention.

As a shepherd of Tennesseans' hard-earned tax dollars, please take a stand against this wasteful boondoggle. Thank you for your service to the people of Tennessee.

I'm all for it if they will provide me free catfish every weekend for my weekly neighborhood fish fry!

Guest SUNTZU
Already heard some crap from an anti. Round one of the verbal bitch slappin' has commenced.

I'd have trouble talking to an anti about Nikki. I've never been able to carry on a conversation with a cinderblock, either.

Where do you live? :D

Raleigh. But I don't currently have a weekly neighborhood fish fry. If my tax money goes to create a hatchery however, I would demand the spoils of my tax dollars so that I could have a weekly neighborhood fish fry. haha

I had a fun one with an anti today. And this happened out my home, so don't be alarmed.

She was going on and on about guns and alcohol being a deadly mix.

So I pulled my gun out and set it on my plate, then poured a beer on it. Then asked her if it was any more likely to go off....

Look on her face was priceless.:D

I know that it won't do any good but I sent Bredesen another email.

Gov Bredesen,

I can't express how disappointed that I am in you. You have offended me by saying that you have no faith or trust in me as an HCP holder to follow the laws of TN. You used the same lame excuse last year "Guns and alcohol don't mix." This legislation ignores that fundamental principle. It seems that you didn't even read the bill. It plainly states that if I am carrying my weapon in an establishment that serves alcohol then I cannot drink AT ALL. This bill also carries a much stiffer penalty if an HCP holder is caught and convicted.

You are also mistakenly assuming that the criminals will also not bring in their guns. They are hoping that this bill doesn't pass so that those who would choose to rob any such establishment can know that law abiding citizens will not have a gun with them and it makes their "job" much safer

You also say "I am a strong supporter of the individual right to keep and bear arms, and I hold this right sacred as both an American and a Tennessean." That is an outright lie! If you were a STRONG supporter then you would support the right of law abiding TN HCP holders to carry where ever they go and not be restricted in any way. This shows that you are out of touch with the things that the average citizen has to deal with daily. You have your security that accompany you wherever you go but I don't get that luxury. HCP holders proved last year that we are capable of visiting these restaurants that serve alcohol without any incidents at all.

I have been told by some legislators when you have something come to your desk for you to sign into law that you will normally do a vast amount of research, collect the data to confirm that a bill is a good one or a bad one and contact officials from other states that have similar laws to find out all that you can about how a law is working for other states. You have not done any research because you know that research would not support your stance.

You also say "Until last year, Tennessee long had prohibited the possession of firearms in bars and restaurants that served alcohol. The legislation passed last year removed this protection in a manner that I, along with many law enforcement officers and innumerable private citizens, believed to be reckless and lacking in basic safeguards to public safety." I have spoken to a great many officers on the streets of Nashville and every last one that I have talked to have been for this law. Your show last year was just that, A Show. Just because you got some Sheriffs and Chiefs of Police to stand behind you last year doesn't tell the story of the officers that are really putting it on the line for the citizens of TN everyday. Just how many of them have you spoken to?

Everything in your email attacks my character and insults my intelligence and I truly resent it. It is a shame that you don't have ANY respect for the HCP holders in the great State of Tennessee.

Volzfan

Nashville, TN

Except, unless I am mistaken, it was around 3 in the morning in China when the veto came through. Therefore, I'd almost bet that Bredesen wrote and signed everything before he even left with instructions for it not to be delivered until the last minute - meaning the veto has been sitting 'on his desk' since last week. Jerkwad.

Direct from the Communist Appeal:

Bredesen, who was in China on an economic development trip, vetoed the bill before leaving for Asia last week but waited until Tuesday, the final day for action, to release his veto message, press secretary Lydia Lenker said.

Gov. Bredesen vetoes bill to allow guns in Tennessee bars

So he did have it signed before he left and waited until the last minute. What a disgrace...

Guest cappy

I have written him 2 emails this past week and obviously no ones emails got through to him he still vetoed this bill his bull with guns and alcohol don't mix is just a bunch of b/s I had put in one email if this bill was passed people with HCP wouldn't be consuming alcohol if they were carrying therefore there judgement wouldn't be altered I had also stated that its just as easy to run into a angry of combative drunk in the streets or at a gas station as well as being in an establishment that sell alcohol for consumption on premises! and im sure we all agree on that I think the veto will be overturned but that is not my point my point is how much of a * the gvrn is. anyway there was not a point to this reply just stating my opinion! O and another thing I know that in some other states you can walk into such an establishment and consume while carrying I'm just throwing that out there

Guest david_g17
Direct from the Communist Appeal:

Bredesen, who was in China on an economic development trip, vetoed the bill before leaving for Asia last week but waited until Tuesday, the final day for action, to release his veto message, press secretary Lydia Lenker said.

Gov. Bredesen vetoes bill to allow guns in Tennessee bars

So he did have it signed before he left and waited until the last minute. What a disgrace...

He probably wrote it in January. That's why it doesn't really address the specifics of the bill itself. He just had to put a date on it and the bill number.

Guest GhostHunter

I got this reply email from Bredesen this morning. It follows my email to him urging him to sign the bill the day it was passed. Here is the a$$hole's response:

"May 19, 2010

Dear D***y:

Thank you for your message about the "guns in bars" legislation. On May 18, 2010, I vetoed Senate Bill 3012. As I stated in my veto message of a similar piece of legislation last year, I believe a basic and effective rule of gun safety is one I was taught at a National Rifle Association-sponsored gun safety class almost 50 years ago: "Guns and alcohol don't mix." This legislation ignores that fundamental principle.

I am a strong supporter of the individual right to keep and bear arms, and I hold this right sacred as both an American and a Tennessean. I am a gun owner, and I exercise my rights as a hunter and in various other shooting activities. I value the constitutional right that allows me to protect my home and family. In Tennessee, this right has been exercised with reasonable common-sense rules.

Until last year, Tennessee long had prohibited the possession of firearms in bars and restaurants that served alcohol. The legislation passed last year removed this protection in a manner that I, along with many law enforcement officers and innumerable private citizens, believed to be reckless and lacking in basic safeguards to public safety.

A successful court challenge to last year's actions provided the General Assembly with a second opportunity to reconsider and adopt a more responsible approach to this issue. Instead, the General Assembly essentially re-passed that legislation in an even more expansive and dangerous form. For this reason, I could not sign the new measure into law.

Warmest regards,

Phil Bredesen

PB:jb"

I knew it was a total waste of time and bandwidth to email him, but I thought I'd give it my best......

Guest HexHead
I know that it won't do any good but I sent Bredesen another email.

His "I am a strong supporter blah blah blah" only means that as long as his shotguns are okay, he's fine. We hear that crap a lot from those types.

He's the Gov where ever he goes, so can sign a doc where ever he is... I'm told is wasn't pre signed before he left, so maybe it was signed electronically? Doesn't matter, I guess. His reasoning for the veto is the same as before. He doesn't like the bill, so with an inevitable override, he delayed it as long as he could. - Same old song...

He was in CHINA - trying to send more TN jobs to a country he admires:tinfoil:

Guest pws_smokeyjones

This explains a great deal about the signage circle/slash thing:

Restaurant Carry 2.0-What Happens Now? | walls of the city

Restaurant Carry 2.0-What Happens Now?

c908bb37ef57d833a5b5cd91f93fe9d0?s=50&d=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gravatar.com%2Favatar%2Fad516503a11cd5ca435acc9bb6523536%3Fs%3D50&r=R As expected, Governor Bredesen vetoed SB3012.

So what happens now?

Well, last night I got to speak with Senator Doug Jackson about that. The timeline basically will go like this: On Monday, he’ll make a motion on the Senate Floor that will allow them to vote on the veto override. Once that passes, it has to sit for at least 24 hours before they can vote on it. The next Senate floor session after that vote will be Wednesday, May 26th. After the veto override passes, it gets sent to the House. Sen. Jackson indicated that the House does, in fact, have the time to do the override.

This bill will become law, effective July 1st. They just have to go through the motions on the override.

We also talked about the signage amendment, why it was added, and what it means. Basically, the original bill cleaned up the 1359 signage requirement by removing the “substantially similar to” phrasing. Here’s where it gets tricky.

Apparently, back in 2000 when the 1359 language was last updated, some lawyers for the state decided that posting the circle/slash symbol was all that was needed for posting on state buildings. In their world, that is “substantially similar to” the giant paragraph of text we are used to looking for. So the people that run one of the state buildings downtown pulled down their old signs and put up the symbol only.

Now, we can go back and forth about how that was a ridiculous reading of the law, and how the state shouldn’t hire lawyers who found their JDs in a crackerjack box, but that wouldn’t do us any good. See, by clarifying the 1359 language to say “your sign must say exactly this” it means that there is no possible interpretation that the symbol was a valid sign.

So that building would have to replace it’s sign. And that would cost money. Which would mean a fiscal note. Which would kill the bill.

I don’t like it, but that’s the way it is. Of course, as a side effect Randy Rayburn’s stupid “No guns ever, free parking always” sign will be legally binding as of July 1, and it will be a B misdemeanor if you’re caught carrying there or any other place with the symbol. If you ever do it again, it’ll be an A misdemeanor with 48hrs in jail and you’ll lose your permit for a year.

This needs to spread like wildfire through the carry permit community since it has such potential to wreck your life. Make sure all your friends know about this little tidbit.

(On a slighty more cheerful note, expect a Vermont-Style carry bill next session)

Guest friesepferd
(On a slighty more cheerful note, expect a Vermont-Style carry bill next session)

Alright, first, yes thats a decent explination for allowing the circle-slash.. though kinda silly.

2nd, did i read that wrong or does that imply that any sign goes now? i was quite sure it was exact wording and/or circle-slash.. not anything.

3rd... consitutional carry bill? really? ....:D

Edited by friesepferd