Heckler & Koch MP5 submachine gun

Guest fastshotivy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mgjohn

Have lots of dollars.

Not sure how many transferable MP5 are out there but they will be expensive.

Mostly what is on the market are converted H&K 94's, still expensive but at least you will not need to sell any body parts to own one.

They are like any othet machine gun to own.

Be 21 or older, legally able to own a firearm.

200.00 tax to the Feds, finger print cards and passport photos along withj the required forms and then wait for the approval.

If I had to guess, maybe $15,00-$20,000. That is just a gues, and not a very educated one, I must admit.
Sounds about right. I ran into a guy at the range awhile back who had two MP5s with him. He said they were about $15,000 each, not including the suppressors.
If I had to guess, maybe $15,00-$20,000. That is just a gues, and not a very educated one, I must admit.
Sounds about right. I ran into a guy at the range awhile back who had two MP5s with him. He said they were about $15,000 each, not including the suppressors.

After a quick search on GunBroker and GunsAmerica, I saw a couple for about $7,000 and one for about $20,000. I guess there are different versions. Shows what little I know about them.

Edited by TripleDigitRide
After a quick search on GunBroker and GunsAmerica, I saw a couple for about $7,000 and one for about $20,000. I guess there are different versions. Shows what little I know about them.

The $7k one had to be a dealer sample. Transferable MP5's havent been under $10k in years.

To the OP, you can also buy a transferable HK sear that will convert you semi HK into a full auto. But the transferable sears are running $15k-$20k.

Guest moreland281
What is a dealer sample?

A dealer sample is a Dealer with a GVT Letter requesting a demo of that weapon. They are only transferable to dealers with that letter (and the letter must be specific). Also the Dealer can not keep that weapon when he/she gives up their SOT, They must Sell,Cut,Donate,Give Away etc. when they do not renew their license (Unless its a Pre-Dealer Sample, which is another thing)

As far as different versions go, go to HnK's website. It is ridiculous how many different MP5 versions there are. I like the really small one, I think it's the MP5 K. Yeah, I just checked and I was right about the small version. Here's a link Heckler & Koch - USA

If you look at the slide on the bottom you can see that you can add a suppressor and a stock to make it more like the larger versions.

What is a dealer sample?

Not all machine guns are the same. You can have three identical-appearing Uzi submachine guns that have radically different prices and laws for ownership.

1) Transferable - Means that any person can own one with the payment of a one-time $200 transfer tax and paperwork. Congress prohibited new manufacture of transferable Machine guns in 1986, so the supply is limited. A transferable Uzi runs $7-8000.

2) Pre-1986 Dealer Sample - Machine-gun imported between 1968 and 1986. These can be transferred between licensed machine gun dealers without any extra paperwork or justification for buying. The dealer can keep them after he gives up his license, but they can ONLY be sold to another dealer. An Uzi of this type will run $3-4000.

3) Dealer Sample - Only available to licensed machine gun dealers or government agencies. Dealers must have a request from an agency for a demonstration before they can acquire one. Generally, they are limited to one or two examples per dealer. A brand-new Dealer-sample Uzi costs about $600.

That's a very simple explanation. Machine gun laws are very complicated and generally don't make sense. Congress has made laws about machine guns four times (1934, 1938, 1968, 1986). Each time, the law got more complicated and bizarre. As it is, a machine gun is the ONLY category of weapon that it is illegal to manufacture for sale to the American public. Cannons (no size limit), grenades, bombs, flamethrowers, rockets, and ammunition of any variety, etc can all be made and sold to the average person.

Thank you for the very easy to understand clarification :)

Not all machine guns are the same. You can have three identical-appearing Uzi submachine guns that have radically different prices and laws for ownership.

1) Transferable - Means that any person can own one with the payment of a one-time $200 transfer tax and paperwork. Congress prohibited new manufacture of transferable Machine guns in 1986, so the supply is limited. A transferable Uzi runs $7-8000.

2) Pre-1986 Dealer Sample - Machine-gun imported between 1968 and 1986. These can be transferred between licensed machine gun dealers without any extra paperwork or justification for buying. The dealer can keep them after he gives up his license, but they can ONLY be sold to another dealer. An Uzi of this type will run $3-4000.

3) Dealer Sample - Only available to licensed machine gun dealers or government agencies. Dealers must have a request from an agency for a demonstration before they can acquire one. Generally, they are limited to one or two examples per dealer. A brand-new Dealer-sample Uzi costs about $600.

That's a very simple explanation. Machine gun laws are very complicated and generally don't make sense. Congress has made laws about machine guns four times (1934, 1938, 1968, 1986). Each time, the law got more complicated and bizarre. As it is, a machine gun is the ONLY category of weapon that it is illegal to manufacture for sale to the American public. Cannons (no size limit), grenades, bombs, flamethrowers, rockets, and ammunition of any variety, etc can all be made and sold to the average person.

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

All the transferable MP5 you will come across are conversion guns due to the 68 GCA restrictions on imported machine guns for civilian sell.

Prices vary based on the type of conversion (trigger pack with sear, or registered receiver gun) the quality of the conversion, and who did the conversion.

The cheapest MP5 I can remember recently was 2 months ago I saw one for just $12K! It was a registered receiver gun that was a pre-86 form 1 "home made conversion" that looked awful. It ran decent but was not ideal and was sold as needing roughly $1K minimum of parts/labor to get it right but the parts/work would not exceed $2K. The gun was sold by a reputable SOT holder and he had gunsmiths lined up for the buyer.

Typical MP5 pricing I see is $15K to $18k for a nice conversion. HK sears are about $12K and you will need a host gun to use it with.

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop
Guest bnutriaz

Terry Dyer converted HK94 with Flemming H series auto sear.This gun has a threaded 3 lug barrel, and the new type collapsable stock and a SEF lower. Gun has been remarked and also has the paddle mag release. Comes with Advanced Armament Corp Stryker 2 Silencer. Features Surefire forearem light, wide forearem, 3 lug flash supressor, extra thread protectors, original sling. 30 strait stick mags, 7 of which are marked SD, 1 30 round curved mag. A2 stock, HK 94 barrel shroud and owners manals. Also has several spare parts for bolt.

FULLY TRANSFERABLE

98% Condition

If you are interested

bnutriaz@yahoo.com

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop

Ha, at 21K you are just letting people know you have it. Most C3 dealers don't even ask that much for an MP5.

Guest JHatmaker

I got to shoot one of these (full auto) about a month ago, and afterwards started wondering if my wife would be cool with us doing a second mortgage....

It was so much fun to shoot

JHatmaker: Yeah spend the whole day covering those two bad boys on the firing line and then have to go back to semi's at home. :hiding:

Considering I just bought my house I wonder if I could get away with a second mortgage already?

Guest bnutriaz

Hey you want a home made form 1 gun or a HTA gun go for it. And they also have the A2 stock, and 1 mag, I have best builder best sear, non- married and it is a total package deal, if it's out of your range I think youmight find some mac 10's in the 3 k range over on sturm.

My .02

coop

Guest TwoLaneBlackTop
Hey you want a home made form 1 gun or a HTA gun go for it. And they also have the A2 stock, and 1 mag, I have best builder best sear, non- married and it is a total package deal, if it's out of your range I think youmight find some mac 10's in the 3 k range over on sturm.

My .02

coop

It's not hard to find good professionally done MP5's for 18-19K all day long. Be it a registered receiver conversion that uses a factory push pin swing down lower with the "clip-on" attachment bar removed or a nice sear gun with a S&H, Qualified, or Fleming sear in that price range.

The high end sub-guns like the MP5 don't seem to move very fast (or at all) But then again it should not be surprising considering the state of our economy and the typical selling prices. If it's hard for an established and reputable SOT holder to move really nice examples at 18K it will be much harder for an individual. It has become a buyers market for the high end NFA ever since the economy tanked in 2008.

I am not saying your gun is bad or that is not valuable. It's a valuable firearm but I don't see any nice MP5 even with lots of mags and some spares going for 21K (unless it is one of the mythical pre-1968 GCA registered MP5/HK54 that I have never seen) If you are taking the attitude that you don't really care if it sells or not that's fine. However, if you are serious about selling it you will get little response at 21K. Wait about 2 years and..... if things pick up enough prices may very well reach that 21K level.

I myself do not own an MP5 nor do i see myself doing so as I would rather buy a transferable M16A1 lower for less and do more with it. I already have a MAC10, and a UZi and really enjoy the UZi (more than the MP5 but that is just my personal preference)

Edited by TwoLaneBlackTop

Believe the 7K one is probably only CIII transfer whereas the 20K is transferable to a individual

Guest sportclimber

The $200 tax stamp also only covers 1 Class III item. So a MP5 SDA5, the fully suppressed, fully-automatic, under 16" barrell (SBR - Short Barrel Rifle) version of the MP5 has three class III items on it, so it needs three $200 tax stamps.

I was given the opportunity to purchase this firearm in 2000 for ~$16,000. When or if you get one, (I did not, my money tree has not been putting out any lately)you might as well buy some reloading equipment and learn to load 9mm if you haven't already. You will shoot all the 9mm you own upon receiving any MP5. Its a smooth operator.