Pick One Hiking Tool

Pick One Hiking Tool:  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Pick One Hiking Tool:

• Hatchet
    • Machete
    • Folding Saw

Ok, this was inspired by the "best survival tool" thread.

Hypothetical: You are hiking alone to a remote location through the wilderness. It is a two day hike, which means you will need to camp for one night before arriving at your destination. You packed light because of the long hike, so you can only carry one primary cutting tool and no tent, which means you may need to make shelter and a fire. What one cutting tool do you bring with you? (For the sake of this poll, let's say you also carry your fixed blade knife or folder.)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEARMAN

Hatchet...you can chop bigger trees and use it as a hammer, and it still makes for a very good weapon if the need arises.

Guest REDDOG79

If I have a fixed blade or a folder then I'd take a Hatchet. In my situation I already have a folding saw on my Swiss Army knife and another one on my Leatherman Charge Ti. I don't like using a machete and the folding saw is just redundancy. (I normally carry 4 - 5 knives everyday)

Well I went with the Cold Steel Kurki machete and I'm glad I did. It can chop almost with a camping hatchet, but also can be used for many other applications the saw and hatchet can't do. Not to mention it is much easier to use on smaller material such as shelter coverings and clearing. The Hatchet and saw can not come close in those areas. Way I see it, the machete = multi-tool, hatchet/saw=single purpose.

GEDC0335.jpg

Edited by Smith
Guest TargetShooter84

Hatchet was my first guess but I am more of a Machete guy because its useful for warding off intruders like this guy below:

Fridaythe13th_JasonMachete.jpg

Machete, without a second thought. For a one night stayover there's no need or use to chop any large timber. It's lighter than a hatchet, can be used for cutting brush for beddng/shelter unlike a hatchet, can be used for digging. A hatchet is heavy & not much use for anything but cutting heavier timber. The folding saw is OK, but agai no good for slashing smaller brush or grasses for bedding/shelter.

I tend to pack as lightweight and compact as possible so I'd go with the folding saw. It could handle anything needed for structure building, short of chopping down an entire tree. The fixed blade can chop smaller limbs, vines for cover. If you need a hammer, use a rock.

I agree with the comment about a wide variety in machete design. I would have concerns about a traditional, thin machete's ability to hold up to serious wood chopping for fire or structure.

Edited by JMR1138
Guest SUNTZU

Folding saw is always in the pack. Fixed blade will take care of any shelter you may want for an overnight. Look at the Fallkniven A2.

Guest SUNTZU

Yes, a hatchet is good for a two day hike. If you are heading long distances you are hauling a lot of metal around. I have looked at the Gerbers, but their small hatchet doesn't look like it has much oomf behind its short handle. A decent blade will cut through most anything. You can hammer the back of the blade with a branch to cut through bigger stuff. I carried a hatchet for a long time, and it IS great. I used it a lot. But damn if it isn't heavy while carrying other gear. Food, water, and ammo is more important; or take the extra weight savings and carry some other needed item.

If you are traveling light, though, the hatchet is a good choice. I just prefer to carry a broader variety of gear. That two day hike might turn into five. You won't know til you are out in it.

• Admin Team

I'm going to vote machete, but in reality I actually default to my ESEE (Rat Cutlery) RC-5. It's 3/16" blade gives it all the oomph I actually need, and is still small enough to carry and actually have it on you when you need it.

I'm comfortable enough with it and it's application through fieldcraft that I would be confident in being left in the field for two days or even much longer and still be able to make it out just fine.

If I am forced to choose, or need an actual machete, then I default to a Bark River Golok.

I actually carry a folding saw whenever I walk around the woods. It is faster than a hatchet or a machete. I have one of the razor teeth ones. I also carry pruning shears for small brush or branches. Any thing less is covered by my knives.

Guys, I don't claim to be a million mile hiker but a good walking stick has been my most usefull tool. I can usually clear light brush, vines or pull/push them out of the way enough to get through. A good sheath or folding knife is also in order.

oldogy