Is bigger really better?

Guest preacher

Guest preacher

Ok folks, the ol' newbie has been checking around for a good concealed pistol...I really like the Walthers, but not sure if I can get a 2nd mortgage for it, also like the Taurus Mill. Pro (but have heard pros and cons on them). I was wanting to get your input on the size you carry and why: .380, .9, .40, and .45....thanks for the input.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a full size M&P9. I like having 18 rounds + reloads if necessary. In the past I have carried a PF9 and would like to get the Taurus Slim in 9mm for an alternate carry gun. I've found that the vast majority of the time I can carry a full size with proper clothing.

I think it ultimately comes down to personal preference. Some love revolvers, some back pocket sub compacts, other steel 1911's. Just find what works for you.

Bigger ain't better.

Neither is carrying something that you can't hit anything with.

Buy a .22, get the basics down and then practice, practice, practice.

As for calibers, they are all deadly when they hit the right spot, even a .22!

It's not the gun or the caliber, it is the skill of the person using the weapon.

A good weapon just feels "right" in your hand.

Guest drv2fst

I have pondered these questions as has everyone else here. As for caliber, I agree with eapking. I like 9mm for concealed carry. My rationale is this: The round that is most effective is the one you can hit the bad guy(s) with repeatedly. The way to improve your odds of hitting the bg is to practice, practice, practice. 9mm is cheap enough to practice often. It's also small enough to fit 10 in a subcompact or 19 in a full size.

.40 and .45 are better calibers on paper but 9mm with really good ammo is nearly as good and you get a larger variety of guns, much more affordable practice ammo, smaller compact guns and higher capacity guns.

As to which gun... I think most people are fairly comfortable starting with a Glock. XD, M&P, or similar. Those are the "bread and butter" guns. Nothing fancy just affordable and great quality.

As there is no single perfect caliber, round, or gun, plan on buying many others as budgets allow.

Guest HvyMtl

Ok. My ;)

Here is the deal. Accuracy, like Currency states, is crucial. Look at what a .22 pistol did to Reagan and his Secret Service detail, for a perfect example.

This said, after one learns accuracy, having more bullet might have ended Reagan, and Brady (which would have prevented the Brady Campaign on Gun Violence...) as the damage would have been more severe.

So, I suggest getting a caliber you can shoot quickly and accurately with.

If you can shoot 9mm quickly and on target, go with it. .40? Go with it. 45? Go with it, .357? You get the picture.

So get your accuracy up - then shoot the many calibers. Decide if you want a revolver or a semi-auto. Then get the caliber.

Personally, I have a 45 semi-auto 3.6 inch barrel and weights 27oz. (Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact 45) I got it cause it handled the caliber well, is the size of a 9mm compact, and I like the noise it makes. It is not for everyone.

Basically, 380 or bigger. Go with the caliber you can shoot most accurately and quickly. (If the first round misses, the second must not.)

Remember, a hit with a 380 is better than a miss with a .357...

Guest archerdr1

I have the Taurus Mil. .45auto I absolutely love it. I was cautious about getting one b/c my friend had the first Gen. 9mill, and it screwed up all of the time. I think they have gotten the bugs out, at least I haven't had any problems out of mine. I worried about the accuracy due to the short barrel, but took it out to practice and from 20 yds put 11 rds into an area the size of a baseball, so that took care of my worry about that. That being said, I also carry my full size Ruger P345 almost everywhere I go. If I go somewhere that I am really concerned about concealment, I just strap on the Taurus.

Guest Bluemax
I hate to say it, but I'd rather have a Taurus than a Walther.

You realize that you have POed the double ought spies ;)

I think I am reading this question the same way as another poster, as a caliber question. I also concur with the 9mm. With good self defense loads available today, it is very efficient. It is cheaper to practice with than most of the other calibers you listed. The nine has less recoil, allowing you to get back on target quicker and the slightly smaller load allows for more magazine capacity.

I applied with the FBI many years ago and as part of the process I had to interview with a panel of senior agents. One of the questions they tossed out was my preference of the 9mm or the .45. The interesting thing is these guys began arguing among themselves over this issue before I finished my answer. This just goes to show this discussion is far from new, and doubtful will ever truly end. And, this was a long time ago, and actually just before the shootout in Miami-Dade.

Guest 1eyedwillie

Well, assuming from your post---

You want to carry concealed, and if you are a preacher you don't dress slouchy much (maybe assuming too much?)--mostly tucked in. And really want to stay concealed.

I fit the above description (except for the preacher part). For me, I decided to spend a little more and get a Kahr MK9 that I can pocket carry in pleated pants without printing. 9mm because the ammo is cheaper for practice as others have said and the little Kahrs conceal very well in a proper pocket holster and are VERY accurate for so small a pistol. The Kahr PM9 is more popular because it is lighter. Otherwise they are the same size. I just like the metal version better. Spare mags go into a "wallet" type carrier in the left rear pocket which keeps them upright and ready for use.

I find I can carry the above set-up 100% and not worry. Having said that, the ammo capacity is limited. I would be the first to admit that high capacity in a larger pistol would always be better. But the Kahr fits my lifestyle better.

Oh--I did carry a .380 for a while (Colt pocketlite) but the little Colt was nowhere near the accuracy of the Kahr---no comparison.

I carry a Para Ordnance 1911. To me there's just no substitute for steel. You can preach all day about the performance and perks of polymers, but it'll fall on deaf ears. It's just not right for a weapon to not be made of metal. I go with a .45 because I'm accurate enough with it, and in my opinion, for carry purposes, you want tissue damage. Larger round tears through more of the body, plain and simple. You're not going to be ambushed be special ops, you don't need these smaller, lightweight, more aerodynamic rounds such as the 5.7x28mm in that FN pistol. Those are designed for armor piercing capabilities, which is not something a regular civilian needs. If you're going to get attacked by anybody they're most likely going to be thugs and cowards. When cowards know you carry a .45 with hollow points, cowards look for somebody else. Especially if they've seen that tissue damage.

Guest archerdr1

as far as caliber, I choose the .45 for the exact reason as stated above. I have all the ammo I need in the mags and an extra in the chamber. Ruger P345 holds 8+1, Taurus holds 10+1. I learned with a .45 (chattanooga Police Academy) and I am accurate with it. My rule is the largest round that you can effectively handle. That being said, I am thinking about getting a small .380 for when I just need a pocket carry, probably the Ruger LCR, but gotta save the $$$ first.

My rule of thumb is carry the largest caliber gun that you can shoot with combat accuracy and can conceal with your attire. That may be a .50GI 5" 1911, or it may be a LCP in .380. (I would never have my primary be less than .380ACP or .38spl)

Try out different guns to see what fits your hand and what you can shoot accurately.

I carry a 3.5" officers frame 1911 in .45acp.

Guest Ghostrider

XD 45 Compact.

Big heavy round, flying slow, lots of HP on target.

Practice, find what fits you best, and go with it.

Always pack spare ammo.

Once you make the decision to fire, don't stop till it clicks, reassess while reloading and moving.

I'm with nightrunner...I do think bigger is better all else being equal. I carry either a .40 (Kahr P40) or 10mm (G29) the vast majority of the time though a 1911 might be lying around the house from time to time. With practice any advantage of a 380/9mm pretty much disappears and being a reloader the cost issue is pretty much moot for said practice. At that point you're basically down to what the caliber does in terminal performance. Modern bullets have really helped the cause of the .380 and even more so the 9mm but seriously, put modern bullets in the above calibers and the lesser calibers are just that. Argue to what extent if you like but they are still lesser. What if you only have time to get off one or at best two shots? Would it matter? Damned if I know but considering what's at stake I'm hedging my bets anywhere I can.

One caveat to the above would be genuinely deep concealment. My Kahr especially can fit in a Nemesis holster and go right in a front pocket of my jeans or in the cargo pocket of my shorts. I'm a decent size fellow though so that might not work for everyone. If you can't wear it comfortably you won't wear it and then caliber becomes irrelevant.

I'm with nightrunner...I do think bigger is better all else being equal. I carry either a .40 (Kahr P40) or 10mm (G29) the vast majority of the time though a 1911 might be lying around the house from time to time. With practice any advantage of a 380/9mm pretty much disappears and being a reloader the cost issue is pretty much moot for said practice. At that point you're basically down to what the caliber does in terminal performance. Modern bullets have really helped the cause of the .380 and even more so the 9mm but seriously, put modern bullets in the above calibers and the lesser calibers are just that. Argue to what extent if you like but they are still lesser. What if you only have time to get off one or at best two shots? Would it matter? Damned if I know but considering what's at stake I'm hedging my bets anywhere I can.

One caveat to the above would be genuinely deep concealment. My Kahr especially can fit in a Nemesis holster and go right in a front pocket of my jeans or in the cargo pocket of my shorts. I'm a decent size fellow though so that might not work for everyone. If you can't wear it comfortably you won't wear it and then caliber becomes irrelevant.

With all the endless studies an empirical data available, I'm amazed there are some that haven't moved past WWI FMJ theory.:)

87-91% effectiveness for 9mm-.45 in HP. Style has relatively small impact on results. The only caveats are 44 Mag/10mm etc. that have a few percentage points better results.

There are however distinctive drops below 9mm where bullet style, barrel length etc become more important.

was wanting to get your input on the size you carry and why: .380, .9, .40, and .45....thanks for the input.

I generally carry a .40 S&W or a .357mag. I carry that because my .45ACP is too big to conceal. Based on my experience in shootings and responding to people being shot a 9mm is a good paper punching round and a .380 is merely one step above a spit ball and a straw. But that’s just me; your observations of people that have been shot may be different. ;)

A 9mm FMJ might be good for paper, but I'm willing to bet the damage from a JHP like a Gold Dot or a HydraShok is going to be significant. Sorry but if that a##hole at VA Tech could waste all those people with a .22...just saying.

Guest Sgt. Joe

FWIW I will mention the Ruger SR9 pistols.

I am limited to what I can shoot due to a neck injury, anything over a 9 simply hurts me too much to be able to fire consistently and accurately.

I have found the SR9 and its lil Bro the SR9c to fill all my needs rather well.

Even the SR9c is pretty much a full size gun and can take the 17 round mags. It can be made easier to conceal with the flat bottom 10 round mag. Ruger says the "c" is 3/4 inch shorter in length, but I measure it at only 5/8 shorter, which of course is not a lot of difference anyway. The same is true for the grip length when using the 10 round flat bottom mags.(5/8 shorter than the full size) But when using either the 17 round or a 10 round mag with the pinky extension the grip length is the same as the SR9.

No one else seems to mention them but I have had very good results with both of these pistols from Ruger. Zero function issues with either. I have around 1500 rounds thru the SR9 and almost 1000 thru the "c" and did not have what I would all a break in process, they simply worked just fine from the get-go.

They are full size yet thin, sell in the $400.00 range and have plenty capacity. Depending on the number of BG's 17+1 rounds gives one what should be plenty shots of 9mil to stop a threat.

Just a few more chips to chew on ;):P