Looking for a carry gun

Guest TinkerBell

Guest TinkerBell

Hey,

I recently got my HCP and Im looking for something to carry. Im a petite woman and I dont exactly wear loose clothing. Id like something pocket size but I dont want a kel-tec due to the fact i was told they arent very realiable past 500 rounds.. Im looking for something in the 300.00 range, considering its my first carry gun I dont want to spend alot. I dont want a revolver and caliber im open on. I own a misquito as my play at the range toy so of course im a sig fan but again im open to brand.. any ideas please let me know thanks..

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know who told you that keltec's aren't reliable past 500 rounds. I had a P32 with well over 1000. (this was before ammo prices went nutz)

besides.. how much do you plan to shoot it? mouse guns aren't range guns and aren't meant to withstand regular range time.

If you want lightest, smallest, you are looking at 3 options in my opinion.

1. P3AT

2. LCP

3. TCP 738

These are all .380's. 9mm's will be larger and heavier. The only other option I see would be a keltec PF9 or Taurus slim PT709.

While there are many other calibers and models most will be over $400.

Hope this helps..

Guest TinkerBell

I was told by the range that the kel-tec starts having issues after bout 500 rounds, basically that they are throw a way guns. They have been through several of them. Anyways how does the TCP 738 hold up?

I was told by the range that the kel-tec starts having issues after bout 500 rounds, basically that they are throw a way guns. They have been through several of them. Anyways how does the TCP 738 hold up?

I personally would not buy a Kel-tec because I think the look like they were made in a dirty basement. Fit and finish is horrible. However I hear nothing but good things about them and if Lowbud says they are good guns then you can trust his opinion.

I think you would like a Kahr PM9 but you would have to up your budget(a lot)

Another good option would be what I pocket carry, Sig p238.

I hated shooting the LCP but maybe you will enjoy it.

I have heard that the Kel-Tecs may have some problems during the first 200 rounds or so, but from what I understand that is their "break-in" period. I am thinking about a PF-9 as a summertime carry gun.

Other than a PF-9 or a J-frame revolver, you may be looking at a .380 caliber for a new gun in the $300 range. I would take a look at the LCP and Bersa Thunder.

Guest Caveman

I bought my fiancee a Bersa Thunder 380. She is petite and had never fired a handgun before. She has been out to the range with me several times now and loves the Bersa. It has performed flawlessly and definitely gets our recommendation. It is within your price range as well. I paid under $300 for hers.

Well. Like I said.. They are not range guns.. But they are not thro away either. keltec has a great warranty dept. No idea on the TCP. They are pretty new and it will take time to see how they are holding up.

It's pretty common with mouse guns to run about 150 rounds through them to make sure their reliable then only fire them every once in a while to make sure they still work.. :drool:

I would dare say after that first 150 or so rounds most people only fire one or two mags per year out of them. They are designed for personal protection and not target practice. especially with the high cost of ammo.

To be totally honest.. you are vary limited with the budget you have set.

The PF9 is a good option as stated above however from your description of being petite and something pocket sized... I'm afraid you'll not find anything other then someone in a .380

If you don't want a keltec.. in my opinion the only option for you at the present time is the Ruger LCP.

I bought my fiancee a Bersa Thunder 380. She is petite and had never fired a handgun before. She has been out to the range with me several times now and loves the Bersa. It has performed flawlessly and definitely gets our recommendation. It is within your price range as well. I paid under $300 for hers.

These are seriously under-rated and top notch weapons. However, being pocket sized i'm not so sure of. Best thing to do is hit a gun show wearing your normal attire and see what fits..

then you can come back here with "the list" and get some feedback.

Guest TinkerBell

ya well id love to carry a 9 or something but my b/f wants me to carry something lightweight and for just incase purposes right now until we can afford to get me something extremely nice.. I really want the springfield emp (i love the 1911 style) but its WAY out of my price range. I know a guy at guns and ammo so were going to go talk to him next wknd and see what he suggests for me.

might look into the pf-9 since ammo wud be decent price and easy to find lol

The EMP is out of most everyones price range. lol.. Sweet gun altho not a pocket pistol.

PF9's can be hard to come by. Good luck in your search. i'm sure you'll come up with something.

My wife loves her PF-9 for carry. No it's not a range gun but it's still manageable and the newer versions of the Kel-tecs are very nice. She carries it in a Uncle Mike's IWB holster at the 4-5 o'clock position. I won't say her weight cause I don't want to die a painful death but she's slightly larger than a toothpick and the PF-9 still doesn't print on her.

+1 ... The Bersa's are hard to beat. They are also fairly priced.

Kind regards,

Leroy

Guest HvyMtl

Look for the Bersa Thunder 380 or 380 Conceal Carry. The price is right. Easy to conceal, easy to shoot, easy to maintain.

I don't know who told you that keltec's aren't reliable past 500 rounds. I had a P32 with well over 1000. (this was before ammo prices went nutz)

same here. I had a P32 that I fired a couple of thousand rounds through. The only reason I sold it is because I never actually carried it and a friend of mine wanted it.

I have a Ruger LCP that has been flawless for me. They are about as easy to carry as a medium sized pocket knife. The ammo is out there and if you look a little you can find it for 15-18 per box. I don't think anything that small will be much of a range gun anyway. Later on, you will probably want to check out the Glock 26, Springfield XD9 subcompact, and the Smith and Wesson M&P9 sub for guns that will much more accurate and more pleasant to shoot.

Guest TinkerBell

i like the look of the ruger lcp its really nice.. thats what im thinking to get but well see, i wouldnt mind the subcompact xd but its a lil more than i want to spend right now.

Guest Daelith

I have a Kel-tec p32 and I really like it for my carry. It's not something I would take a class with or use for extensive target practice though. It's strictly a convenient carry because I'm petite too. My 9mm is way to hard to conceal. I'm partial to the Springfield line myself.

If we both make it to the next Memphis get together, I'll be happy to let you try out my Kel-Tec.

Edited by Daelith