Looking for a carry gun

Guest TinkerBell

Guest TargetShooter84

I'd go with the LCP but you know that your life shouldn't depend on the lower price though...because it may not do its job if you really need it.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like the look of the ruger lcp its really nice.. thats what im thinking to get but well see, i wouldnt mind the subcompact xd but its a lil more than i want to spend right now.

I agree that the LCP sounds like it would be a good fit for what you want, but don't rule out the KelTecs though. They might look awful, but they are fine little guns. You know what they say.....Never judge a book by it's cover! ;)

The KelTec P3AT will cost less than the LCP. Also, the PF9 isn't a whole lot bigger than an LCP or P3AT and it shoots 9mm......a much better self defense caliber and a whole lot cheaper and easier to find, and more pleasant to shoot as well. You can't beat KelTec's warranty either. If you ever have any problems with their guns at all, just send it back to them and they will send it back to you better than new......with a polished feed ramp and maybe even a free mag.

I recently bought a P11, which is a 9mm and a little thicker than the PF9 because it's a double stack mag. I'm a 20 year Glock fan and owner, and I was skeptical of the KelTecs for a long time myself. I was really surprised at how much I loved the P11. I bought it for a "beater" gun.....one that I could use while working around the yard and mowing. It's become my 24/7 primary carry and my Glocks and my EMP are sitting in the safe looking pretty. B) I even got the slide on it refinished. :D

I want to get a PF9 eventually myself. It would be nice to have for the really hot weather when I'd like something even lighter than the P11.

If you're truly set against getting a KelTec, you might consider the Taurus TCP (.380) or 709 Slim (9mm). Taurus makes great guns and they have a good warranty too.

Good luck finding one that you like! Let us know what you end up with. B)

My wife loves her P3AT.

Her nephew sold her on it, he's an undercover policeman, in lets say, in an area that has alot of traffic in controlled substances.

I eventually bought one for myself, just because of the size and concealment. Easier to tuck away in the warmer months.

Guest TinkerBell

Looks like Im selling my misquito and im gonna take the money from that and add to what my B/F is wanting to pay and actually get me a small carry gun that i could use at the range such as a xd9 subcompact. Gonna go talk to a buddy at guns and ammo and see what he suggests.

Guest 1eyedwillie

The xd9sc is a good gun. My daughter tried it and the Glock26 and she liked the way the xd fit her hand better. She also like the idea of the grip safety. I tried to get her interested in my Kahr MK9, but she doesn't like the ergonomics so much, and also the xd is higher round count. No argument from me on that.

As for ease of concealment, the xd is a thicker gun, but you might look into a belly band or small size smartcarry. This is another plus for the grip safety. Learn to holster the xd without engaging the grip safety when using this type of deep concealment holster.

Considering the 9mm is a wise choice if you want to shoot it very much as ammo is easier to find and for carry there are many good choices for effective carry ammo. If you are going to carry, you may as well get very familiar with your choice of carry gun by reasonably frequent range practice and the 9mm is better for that.

Oh and also, don't forget the benefits of dry-fire practice at home. Nothing beats it for being able to smoothly produce your weapon when needed and getting use to proper sight alignment when the trigger is pressed. Practice smoothness and sight alignment first. Speed comes with practice. Dry fire practice costs you nothing but your time. Do it daily for a few minutes each day until everything becomes second nature.

Guest TinkerBell

Ya my B/F (looney102) had an xd40 and I enjoyed shooting it. I want something I can definately take to the range cause when I stop being so busy and having plans with my money I want to get back into going to the range often again.. Honestly I havnt been since I took the permit class and that was last August.. So I really miss the range. Any ideas on a small 9mm that doesnt cost alot and is still lightweight and can use at the range?

Edited by TinkerBell
Guest 1eyedwillie

Other than the xd, maybe a glock 19 or 26 especially if you can find a used one. I would find one to try out before buying though. The grip angle is different on glocks and some don't favor it so much.

I think Bersa makes a 9mm carry version which would probably be cheaper, but I am not very familiar with them. I suspect they are heavier than the glocks. There again, finding someone who has one and is willing to let you try it out would be best.

You and the B/F might want to go by RangeUSA and see what rental guns they have in the case. Not sure they have a Bersa (kind of doubt it though) but I am pretty sure they have several Glocks. Try before you buy. That is where I took my daughter and she finally settled on the xd9sc after shooting it and the Glock26.

Find a range near you that rents handguns. Try out whatever they've got available. Spending a few $$ in rental fees on one afternoon is much easier than buying and selling 6 guns to find one you like. Some places even offer free rentals if you buy a gun.

Guest TinkerBell

im looking at a friends glock 26 this wknd, maybe i can get a deal on that and get a conversion kit for it and have 2 guns in 1 lol.. well see tho, still just looking around at this point..

Guest BabyJeepWoman

I carry a Kahr CW40 in a Kholster IWB holster in the 4-5 o'clock position. I am not a petite person but I don't wear really loose clothing. I have worn it with shorts, jeans, and even skirts and have never had anyone notice it. I do make sure my shirt/blouse is long enough to cover it or I tuck the shirt in. The Kholster makes it easy to tuck in my shirt and still not leave a print.

Guest uofmeet
looks like maybe no xd for me, my price range is only 300-400 :-/

Do i need to bring over Stacy's gun again and let you play with it?

Guest TinkerBell

haha i love stacys gun but idk what im getting right now... i sold my misquito to byrds sis and im putting that money with what robert is gonna spend.. looking at a friends glock 27 tomoro.. might get the conversion for it and make it a 9 and have a 40 as well hehe.. well see.. might get a gooood deal on it since he hasnt shot it in 2 yrs lol

Guest Daelith
That G27 is going to snap a lot more than the G26. Something to keep in mind. Pretty sure they have both at RangeUSA (to rent). Might want to take them and a few others for a spin.

+1 on that advice. I tried a couple of the Glocks at RangeUSA and I did not like them. Felt the recoil all the way up my arm. Felt like someone was hitting them with a crowbar every time I pulled the trigger.

Guest HvyMtl

Suggestion: Go shoot. Shoot as many calibers you can rent, or those you can get on loan from friends. Shoot the 380, 38 Special, 9mm, 40, 45, .357, etc.

Remember: The firearm must "feel" right in your hand, or you wont shoot it...

For under $400 you can go Ruger or Bersa.

Saving $100-200ish more does open up the range of brands dramatically.

A good first firearm would be the Bersa Ultra Compact Pro 9mm. It is light weight, reliable, easy to operate and clean. Very light recoil. Ambidextrous out the box (safety AND slide release making it easier to operate and allows for easy off hand shooting) polygonal rifling, round in chamber indicator, and single slot picatinny rail.

Sig has refurbished used firearms and could be a good buy.

Products & Services

comes with warranty and can save some $.

I've been waiting on someone to suggest a g-26. I don't like shooting glocks at all. Nothing wrong with them, they just don't fit me.

However, the g-26 is a different story. I really like that little thing. it shoots great and as is very accurate for me. I'm pretty sure you can find a used one in your price range.

Good luck in your search, Mark

I've been waiting on someone to suggest a g-26. I don't like shooting glocks at all. Nothing wrong with them, they just don't fit me.

However, the g-26 is a different story. I really like that little thing. it shoots great and as is very accurate for me. I'm pretty sure you can find a used one in your price range.

Good luck in your search, Mark

Used Glock 26's start at about $400 normal is closer to 450 about the price of a new one.

Guest smileyguy

Don't let the guy at the gun store talk you out of the kel tec. Just have to say the Kel-Tec is not junk. It won't break down after 500 rounds. This guy either doesn't know what he's talking about, or he was trying to push something with a higher mark-up.

I'd go with the kel tec or ruger 380s. They've been out longer. I generally don't buy brand new designs. They often need to have the kinks worked out. Bersa is too large for pocket carry, as is the PF-9 and other sub-compact 9mms, but if you decide you can comfortably carry and conceal a larger gun, by all means, do.

Edited by smileyguy