Looking for a carry gun

Guest TinkerBell

Guest TinkerBell

I saw my friend's glock 27 yesterday and I was very undecided about it. The main thing I didnt like about it is it didnt have a place for my pinky to go. Im very picky about that. Either the gun itself needs to b big enough for that or have a mag extention. I feel weird shooting if i cant wrap ALL my fingers around comfortably lol.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TargetShooter84
I saw my friend's glock 27 yesterday and I was very undecided about it. The main thing I didnt like about it is it didnt have a place for my pinky to go. Im very picky about that. Either the gun itself needs to b big enough for that or have a mag extention. I feel weird shooting if i cant wrap ALL my fingers around comfortably lol.

My G26 has a extension added to one of my mags, best investment.

I didn't like the fact that my pinky didn't have a place to rest when I first got my G27. I got the Scherer +1 extensions for my mags, which not only give you a place for your pinky, but give you and extra round too. You can also get +2 extensions but I wouldn't recommend those unless you install a stiffer spring. You could have feeding issues if you keep the stock spring when using the +2's, but the +1's are fine with the stock springs. They also make +0 extensions which give you the pinky rest, but no extra round. Those are fine with the stock springs as well.

After shooting my G27 for a while with a couple extra mags that didn't have the extensions, I changed my mind about the pinky thing. You'll get used to it. My pinky now wraps underneath the shorter stock mag just as naturally as resting on the extension. The thing I like best about it is that when carrying my G27 without the mag extension, it prints much less under my shirt. That pinky extension might be nice in some ways, but when carrying your gun with it on there, it makes the grip longer and sharper on the end, which makes it show under your clothing more. I normally carry the stock short mag in the gun, then I carry a spare with a +1 extension in my pocket.

If I were you, I'd try to get your friend to let you shoot the G27 and see how you like it. Keep in mind that the G26 will have quite a bit less kick to it. If you like the feel of the G27 but think it kicks too much, get yourself a G26 instead.

I agree with GGP2JZ too. Do yourself a favor and at least go check out a KelTec PF9. I really think that gun would work for you perfectly. Don't believe that they wear out after 500 rds. That's a bunch of baloney. Now, I'm not against the Glock, I love Glocks. But, it is thicker and will be much less comfortable to carry.....especially if you're a smaller lady. I'm 5'11" and 240 lbs. and I enjoy carrying my KelTec P11 much better than my G27....because it's thinner and lighter and just as reliable. The P11 is bigger than the PF9 but still smaller than the G26 or G27. I'm actually wanting a PF9 for myself to carry when I really want to go light. :cool:

Guest TargetShooter84

If you were in Knoxville area, I wouldn't have a problem letting ya try out my G26 and see if you liked it or not.

I really recommend the G26 over G27 for the same reasons PackinMama said above.

Guest TinkerBell

Ya im getting so many suggestions at the moment, i just need to go handle a few. An old friend that works for a gun shop suggested a taurus 709 slim. I like the design and the price but I need to actually go to a gun shop and get a feel of some of these. Although the kel-tecs are nice, now that my budget has opened up just a little more Id rather get something I can get range time out of too that is still lightweight..

Guest TargetShooter84

G26 is a fun range gun with the extension added to it. I enjoy using it at the range occasionally but I have my G19 primarily for range use at this moment.

Suggestion: Go shoot. Shoot as many calibers you can rent, or those you can get on loan from friends. Shoot the 380, 38 Special, 9mm, 40, 45, .357, etc.

Remember: The firearm must "feel" right in your hand, or you wont shoot it...

Absolutely! Don't purchase anything without shooting it first.

As someone who just bought a Ruger LCP for concealed carry, I can say that i have been very pleased with my range time.

The mag extension is crucial on such a small gun though. I have large hands so my pinky still floats but having the mag extension allows me to get another half a finger around the grip. When I shot it without the grip I had a hard time controlling the LCP and it actually FTE twice in 30 rounds. With the mag extension on I was able to grip it better and it didn't hiccup at all in 130 rounds.

Also, the LCP is dang accurate for such a small gun. I was getting good hits at 25 ft.

The reason I didn't go with a G27 was the thickness of the Glock guns. It would be harder to conceal such a firearm or cram in it in an IWB holster.

I CC an LCP.....Filled with Winchester Ranger T ammo ...

The wife CCs a Jframe revolver ,loaded with Hornaday Critical Defense ammo

- I like the idea of CC a revolver,to me they seem safest

because not much can go a miss and they are deadly reliable ....

The LCP is a good gun,far from excellent though......

Guest TinkerBell

Looks like hopefully next wknd il finally get to go gun shopping, my bf is fed up with leaving his 1911 at home with me until i find something, heck not like he can carry it at work anyways lol. That and his refund shud finally be here in a few days :-) I still have no clue what Im going to get. Il keep everyone posted.

Guest HvyMtl

Remember - balance... Go with the largest caliber ammo you can shoot, with the most accuracy. A hit with a 380 is far better than a miss with a .357. The objective is to remove the threat, not get it angrier.

If it does not feel "right" in your hand you will not carry it.

Shoot to find the caliber which best fits the statement above, then shoot the guns you like.

Enjoy this. It is quite fun to find your first cc.

I CC an LCP.....Filled with Winchester Ranger T ammo ...

The wife CCs a Jframe revolver ,loaded with Hornaday Critical Defense ammo

- I like the idea of CC a revolver,to me they seem safest

because not much can go a miss and they are deadly reliable ....

The LCP is a good gun,far from excellent though......

As someone pointed out to me recently, you can fire a wheelgun from inside a pocket without it jamming. Not so much with a semi-auto.

As someone pointed out to me recently, you can fire a wheelgun from inside a pocket without it jamming. Not so much with a semi-auto.

Yes, but if you plan on pocket carrying a revolver and do want to be able to shoot right from your pocket.....a revolver with a shrouded hammer is needed. An exposed hammer can snag and get caught on your clothing.(DaddyO, I'm sure you know this....I just wanted to clear that up for any ladies that might not realise the difference between an exposed hammer vs. a shrouded hammer.)

Yes, but if you plan on pocket carrying a revolver and do want to be able to shoot right from your pocket.....a revolver with a shrouded hammer is needed. An exposed hammer can snag and get caught on your clothing.(DaddyO, I'm sure you know this....I just wanted to clear that up for any ladies that might not realise the difference between an exposed hammer vs. a shrouded hammer.)

Yes, you are absolutely correct. I just failed to include that little bit of information.

Thanks -

Guest Boogieman
Looks like hopefully next wknd il finally get to go gun shopping, my bf is fed up with leaving his 1911 at home with me until i find something, heck not like he can carry it at work anyways lol. That and his refund shud finally be here in a few days :-) I still have no clue what Im going to get. Il keep everyone posted.

Anything yet? I am interested in hearing about what you ended up choosing. Remember, it didnt happen if there are no pics, lol.

Guest tngw1500se

I carry a PF9 in a holster when out riding motorcycles in Royal Blue but when I just wear a tee shirt I carry a 3AT on my ankle. Both have given me zero problems and are nice guns. Wouldn't frame them and hang them on the wall, but that's not why I bought them. LOL! Got the wife a LCP because she could operate the slide easier than the 3AT. I can't tell that ones easier than the other, but she was more comfortable with the LCP, so that's what shes got. Paid 260 for the pf9 / 249 for the 3at and 299 for the LCP at the expo center gun show. Shop around!

• 3 months later...

You are certainly on the right track & will not go wrong with the LCP, P3AT, P32, or the Bersa. The new 709 slim is also a great alternative.

The Kel-Tec's (per the manual) are not considered broken-in UNTIL 500 round. Also, several Police Departments are now authorizing the P3AT's as back-up guns. My wife will not give hers up. I also have the P32 which I love to carry and to shoot.

As for the Bersa, if it's not too big for you to carry, it's an AWESOME gun.

I personally want to try out the 709 myself...

• 2 months later...