Looking for a carry gun

Guest TinkerBell

Don't worry about the age of a thread, I've done the same thing several times and don't really care. Neither should you. If it looks interesting to you and you have a comment, or if its just good information or even just fun...jump right in. It's all for learning, teaching and just having comradship with some hopefully intelligent people.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry about the age of a thread, I've done the same thing several times and don't really care. Neither should you. If it looks interesting to you and you have a comment, or if its just good information or even just fun...jump right in. It's all for learning, teaching and just having comradship with some hopefully intelligent people.

Absolutely! ;)

Too many gunowners let the size of a pistol become the determining factor in choosing a gun. The first pistol my wife had was an AMT 380. Small but not reliable and she couldn't hit anything with it. She has since been carrying a kahr 40 or XD40sc. Larger and heavier but she can shoot them much better.

• 1 month later...
Guest SGT Bateman

Just bought my wife a Walther 380 two days ago. She spent about an hour in the gun shop trying out the different sizes and what not. She said that it fit into her smaller hands the best. It is not something to pocket carry but a light jacket or a purse is the perfect place to have it tucked away. She is going through the CCW course next weekend and then to get her license. She held the LCP, XD9 and many others and felt that she made the best choice. Also a 380 is something that is not going to produce a lot of kick, but does have stopping power.

Which Walther did you get her? I have a Walther P22 and love it! Fits great in my hands and its such a fun little target gun! Hubby has a Sig Mosquito and wants to trade it for a P22.

I had been carrying it since last year until yesterday. I got a Bersa Thunder 380 to use as my carry gun. It feels just a good as my Walther but makes for bigger holes. :up: Hubby has been carrying a Makarov despite having a 9mm because of the size and I always stile it when he was on the road. My Bersa is the same size but has a much easier to find ammo. Get her some Personal Defense rounds to use for carrying.

Guest justinlinkes

i have shot most of the guns mentioned above and i say save your money and hunt a good used sig 238 it will be worth it in the long run. in my opinion when it comes to guns sometimes you really do get what you pay for and a gun you might need to defend your life with one day is not a place to cut corners

Can you all recommend a gun for my g/f? I'm looking for something small and light that she can keep in her purse. I thought about giving her my Ruger LCR but the recoil is PUNISHING, to put it lightly.

I was also considering the Kel Tec p32 but I just don't know if I trust Kel Tec. No offense to anyone but they look like they were made in a sweat shop in Ethiopia. The fit and finish is horrible. They are small and light though. And affordable. But after looking around the reliability issues are questionable.

Also considering the Beretta Tomcat .32---- but once again I'm seeing mixed reviews on reliability, and their customer service is terrible.

I'm open for suggestions.

Bersa makes a good pistol for the money. My Diamondback 380 runs flawlessly and stays in my pocket. You will do fine with the Bersa for now. The only two things I would suggest is that you save up a little more money and that you learn to embrace recoil. My daughter, bless her heart, will shoot any pistol I put in her hand, from .357 magnum to 45acp to 40 S&W. As long as a gun doesn't hurt to shoot, then you can learn to appreciate the recoil. Maybe you could learn to shoot a 9mm? A 40? Now your talking:) good luck!

Guest friesepferd
Can you all recommend a gun for my g/f? I'm looking for something small and light that she can keep in her purse. I thought about giving her my Ruger LCR but the recoil is PUNISHING, to put it lightly.

I was also considering the Kel Tec p32 but I just don't know if I trust Kel Tec. No offense to anyone but they look like they were made in a sweat shop in Ethiopia. The fit and finish is horrible. They are small and light though. And affordable. But after looking around the reliability issues are questionable.

Also considering the Beretta Tomcat .32---- but once again I'm seeing mixed reviews on reliability, and their customer service is terrible.

I'm open for suggestions.

I'll go ahead and be the one to say PLEASE don't let her carry a gun in her purse.

I can tell you a trillion reasons not to do it. It's just a terrible idea.

If she REALLY doesn't want to carry on her hip, at least consider getting something that stays attached to her, such as the wilderness safepacker holster:

The Safepacker Holster (with options): Tactical Gear, Tactical Equipment, Duty Belts, Slings, USA

I have it and highly recomend it. I often use it in the summer or when carrying IWB is difficult for some reason. I have had many females compliment my on my cool purse- and what a neat idea it is.

As far as guns go- there are plenty of little 38s out there such as the kel-tech. personally, i wouldn't carry any of them, but many people do.

If she is going to carry on her hip, there are a few things to look for in a gun that will really help her hide it.

first in my mind is thickness. a single stack gun is way easier to conceal than double stack.

2nd is grip length. The longer the grip, the more it sticks out when you try to bend over or move.

3rd is barrel length. much less important than the other 2. anything under 4 should be find in my opinion.

weight / material: lighter (polymer or alloy) is much more comfy to carry. heavier (steel) is much better for recoil ( see caliber below)

Caliber- bigger is better ;) Well, not necessarily... there are many factors that contribute to which caliber is best for you (or her as the case may be). I really would not recommend anything smaller than a 38 or 9mm. Having said that, Id rather someone carry a 22 than nothing at all. Just dont expect anything smaller than a 38 to actually stop someone unless you can shoot them in the eyeball.

A heavier gun will REALLY help with the recoil. a steel framed 45 feels a lot like an aluminum framed 9mm. If she has trouble with recoil, and heavier AND BIGGER gun will help a ton.

There are of course other factors to consider- what kinds of safties, semiauto vs revolver etc. That really just depends on the person and their experiance.

I highly recommend you and she check out this website. It has a TON of good info for gals on guns, carrying, and self defense:

Cornered Cat

Bersa makes a good pistol for the money. My Diamondback 380 runs flawlessly and stays in my pocket. You will do fine with the Bersa for now. The only two things I would suggest is that you save up a little more money and that you learn to embrace recoil. My daughter, bless her heart, will shoot any pistol I put in her hand, from .357 magnum to 45acp to 40 S&W. As long as a gun doesn't hurt to shoot, then you can learn to appreciate the recoil. Maybe you could learn to shoot a 9mm? A 40? Now your talking:) good luck!

maybe you misread my post. I'm looking for a gun FOR MY GIRLFRIEND. I don't mind recoil.

I agree 110% about NOT carrying a gun in your purse. Definitely not a good idea at all and I've explained that several times in several different threads. If it's the only way that she'll carry a gun, then it's certainly better than nothing at all....but if she ever really needs to use it, it will most likely not be of any use at all in her purse. Bad guys and bad situations tend to come real fast and without warning and the gun needs to be on your body somewhere.

AS for a gun recommendation.....I'd give her the LCR. Just get some low recoil .38 loads for it. I put Federal Nyclad HP's in my elderly mother's 442 and she handles it fine. That would be the perfect gun for her IMO. There are several manufacturers of low recoil .38 rounds out there....just google it. You'll find a bunch.