Gold and Silver, are they a good buy?

Are Gold and Silver a good buy?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Are Gold and Silver a good buy?

• A - Sell - No, Gold and Silver are too expensive
    • B - Hold - Price is right. Neither buy or sell.
    • C - Buy - Gold and Silver are still undervalued.

Hello All,

I was hoping to get a few opinions about all the hype around Gold and Silver as an investment.:D

A. Sell - Do you think precious metals are currently too expensive?

B. Hold - The price is right where it needs to be.

C. Buy - It is still a good deal.

It seems to me that there is a lot to be gained by companies who sell bullion. What to you guys think.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There have been a couple of threads on this in the Survival forum lately.

My opinion, in short. Gold value is at a high right now. I try to avoid purchasing things when they're near the top of their value. As a long term financial investment, if you take the last 7 or so years out of the picture, gold runs somewhere in the neighborhood of 4% per year. No thanks.

I don't have any gold. I don't intend to buy any. Your mileage may vary.

Guest HvyMtl

Some consider gold and silver to be a SHTF backup in case the monetary system fails.

IMHO, this is not a grand idea, as the value of Gold and Silver are, well, a monetary system in and of themselves. Besides, how are you going to prove to anyone its actually .999 pure gold?

I think this bubble will burst soon. Just like any other commodity...

Off Topic: Mosin Nagant as your avatar. Specs? Looks like a 91/30.

At no time in recorded history, except the Roman Empire, has Gold, Silver, or any other precious metal been used for barter during a recession, or war, or whatever. Maybe salt, weapons, or like during the hurricane Katrina, batteries, food, etc. Just saying. I am stocking up on ammo. Great barter when SHTF.

if you have it hold it, don't buy it just as a hedge.

Someday it may be the only thing with value. Might get you out of town or a plate of food.

I have some, would never sell it for cash. Barter possibly.

Guest Plainsman

Lets not buy something at its 176 year high. Mostly likely not gonna turn out to good for you. I don't invest in things that gain 1.5% over 176 years, do you?

I believe silver is a better buy than gold. If you look back to when gold was selling for $850 oz in late 70s early 80s silver was $50 oz. Today gold is $1200 oz and silver is $18 oz.

With gold, you may be able to preserve some actual wealth. Consider what paper monies will be worth by the time these clowns wear the presses out printing it. Look at the history of countries that have done what the US is doing now. Argentina comes to mind. The Kondratieff theory supports that gold is something to hold. IMO, it is too late to get into gold.

oldogy

Guest uofmeet

Hhm, the only gold i have is on my ring finger. But i would not do gold as an investment. If the economy ever tanks bad enough, you will bartering with services and goods and gold probably won't get you anywhere in my opinion.

Guest 6.8 AR

See how good it tastes on your next sandwich, but make sure you have good teeth.

Their value is determined by how valueless our fiat currency is. Take that with a grain of salt and it might taste good:D

Guest Tiny G

If you're completely out of debt, including your home, have a years worth of food and a years salary in the bank and are still looking for a way to spend money . . then buy gold. Just my 2 cents

Guest Republican

You are all right. Sell me all your gold for next to nothing while you can still find someone to buy it. :) Just kidding.

Its a heck of a lot better than paper moneys. If nothing else it will hold its value, its not going down. I would concentrate more on silver than gold but precious metals are the last thing I would spend money on.

How do you figure the value of gold will not go down? It's at a high, and has a poor average rate of return. That's due to the fact that the value shoots upward every once in a while, then drops back down. It's a very volatile thing to put money in.

Guest 6.8 AR

The value is in the gold, not in the paper money. When the dollar was pegged at 35/oz,

that was the perceived value. Now it is valued at 1200/oz. The gold didn't change.

Something else did.

Depends on how good your crystal ball is. Mine doesn't work very well, so I tend to diversify my purchases. Lately, it seems that brass, copper, and lead seem to hold their value very well. At the rate the Fed is printing dollars and our National Debt is climbing, I'd say the Dollar is a very poor investment compared to almost anything else.